Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Chronicles (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chronicles Appreciation (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224004)

_Seth 06-02-20 22:09

Chronicles Appreciation

I know this game gets a bad wrap but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D Here are some things I really love about the game. Post your own, too. :)
[LIST][*]Unusually high quality audio quality for the time, rivalling even later TR games. Shout out to the pistols SFX[*][I]Beautifully[/I] directed FMV's which ooze style and an elegant European class[*]The most comprehensive move-set of all the Core Design TR's[*]It dipped it's feet in some next gen features such as; keypads, stealth, headshots, grapple gun[*]VCI being a great example of pure classic level design but in an urban setting. I like it when Lara enters James Bond territory instead of Indiana Jones territory sometimes[*]Ireland and it's art style succeeding at retaining heaps of colour while portraying a foreboding atmosphere[/LIST]

Tomb Raidering 06-02-20 22:22

Oh, I honestly [I]love[/I] this thread! ^.^
Let’s see what I’ve got:

• Best story out of the Classics.
• Lara’s personality.
• The locations.
• FMVs and Cutscenes.
• The dialogue.
• Being split in chapters.
• The definitive Classic gameplay.
• Interesting puzzles.
• Graphics being praised for PS1.
• Catsuit.
• Red Alert! is the best farewell to PS1 Classic Lara. I still get teary when I combine the key to the exit. :/

I could add more later on... :cln:

SpyrosMonster 06-02-20 23:37

Chronicles has a soft spot in my heart. I really enjoy going back to it from time to time.

_Seth 07-02-20 19:36

I do prefer the TR3 catsuit, tbh. :p But yeah the ending of Red Alert! is tearfully nostalgic.

Heartache 07-02-20 20:40

i just love the vci levels and the cutscenes that come with it. cgi catsuit lara looks just so cool

Maverin 07-02-20 21:04

It's not the best TR game ever but I enjoy it almost every time I replay it.

VCI is one of my favorite locations, although it's a super bummer that it got bottlenecked by it's many serious bugs.

I'd give the game more credit than the developers themselves give it. They refer to it as a quick money grab but I still enjoy it thoroughly. Then again, I never paid full price for it.

Samz 07-02-20 22:00

Bugs aside, I actually really like Red Alert! aside from the cyborg bosses, The helicopter that constantly hounds you and isn't scripted is WAY better than what what Rise would later do.

VCI soundtrack is great.

Johnnay 08-02-20 02:36

[QUOTE=_Seth;8170855]I know this game gets a bad wrap but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D Here are some things I really love about the game. Post your own, too. :)

[LIST][*]The only classic TR to be in 60FPS (or at least it feels like it!)[*]Unusually high quality audio quality for the time, rivalling even later TR games. Shout out to the pistols SFX[*][I]Beautifully[/I] directed FMV's which ooze style and an elegant European class[*]The most comprehensive move-set of all the Core Design TR's[*]It dipped it's feet in some next gen features such as; keypads, stealth, headshots, grapple gun[*]VCI being a great example of pure classic level design but in an urban setting. I like it when Lara enters James Bond territory instead of Indiana Jones territory sometimes[*]Ireland and it's art style succeeding at retaining heaps of colour while portraying a foreboding atmosphere[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Really.. I know TR2 was locked at 30fps but are you sure Chronicles was the first TR Game to be playable at 60fps?. I would have thought either maybe TR3/TR4 perhaps

Joey79100 08-02-20 07:44

[b]NONE[/B] of the classics runs at 60 fps on any platform. All at 30fps (or 25fps for TR1 PSX PAL version - don't know about Saturn)
However TR5 does use floating points instead of integers for 3D coordinates, so it results in a smoother feeling (points don't snap to the closest full number).

Here's a comparison video:
[youtube]Sd_N0TCMxMQ[/youtube]
[B][url=https://youtu.be/Sd_N0TCMxMQ]TR4 vs TR5: Integers vs Floating points[/url][/B]

You can see how Lara moves smoothly in TR5, but in TR4 it's more jerky. You can even see her butt "going in and out" as she breathes.
This also applied to cameras and everything that has coordinates.

_Seth 08-02-20 08:49

^Aha, interesting. It's a great illusion, then. :D