www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dumb things people say (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=210928)

Daring Do 14-06-18 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_light (Post 7906739)
Does it count as "up" if the person crashlands on the steps above the one they trip from?

Thatís falling while going up the stairs. You still arenít falling upwards.

robm_2007 14-06-18 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7906748)
Saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". By saying "I could care less" aren't you implying that you care enough to be able to care less? I get bewildered when people say that instead of saying "I couldn't care less".

You must also be won of those people who can't understand a sentence if their are minor typos in it.

Yeauxleaux 14-06-18 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7906748)
Saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". By saying "I could care less" aren't you implying that you care enough to be able to care less? I get bewildered when people say that instead of saying "I couldn't care less".

I notice some people say it in person too. Yeah it's the opposite of what you're trying to say haha

Gabi 14-06-18 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm_2007 (Post 7906919)
You must also be won of those people who can't understand a sentence if their are minor typos in it.

That made me cringe.

Daring Do 14-06-18 19:32

On twitter I saw a guy say that ancient Greeceís religion was Christianity...I just...no. :vlol:

SunDormant 14-06-18 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm_2007 (Post 7906919)

Typos can be overlooked because they are present only in spelling. However, saying "I could care less" carries semantic information that is different from what the speaker might actually be trying to say.

Sorry, future English teacher talking :p

Edit: you see? I didn't even notice the typo until now xDDD
Edit 2: *Typos xD

Yeauxleaux 14-06-18 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daring Do (Post 7906981)
On twitter I saw a guy say that ancient Greece’s religion was Christianity...I just...no. :vlol:

Deplorable.

It's even more unforgivable to me because he obviously has the internet to type that to the world

Did he not think to hit Google and, you know, fact check first?

Omg @SunDormant same! Probably why I usually try not to have grammar and spelling **** ups in my posts haha. It's a bad look for us.

SunDormant 14-06-18 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7906987)
Omg @SunDormant same! Probably why I usually try not to have grammar and spelling **** ups in my posts haha. It's a bad look for us.

^ Okay, I think you didn't understand me :p

It's not a bad look on you because they are allowed and shouldn't be shamed. Spelling has nothing to do with grammar unless you are changing the meaning of the words completely or create ambiguities.

Of course, spelling still has issues when it comes to formality. You wouldn't write things like "I *heart* U" in a college essay. But besides that, if the message can be understood, it is not "ungrammatical".

Yeauxleaux 14-06-18 19:51

Idk, I just like to write classy and "properly" most of the time. I do still throw some slang in though online.

SunDormant 14-06-18 19:56

^ And that's perfectly fine. I just wanted to point out that one should not stigmatise those that may have some spelling mistakes in their posts :D

Edit: I should also point out that, in the case of homophones, spelling mistakes are not serious because, whether someone reads "their", "they're" or "there", the words sound the same, and what gives these sounds a real meaning in oral speech is what comes before or after them.