View Single Post
Old 24-11-13, 19:47   #455
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogynn View Post
Wow if this gets released, this guy will be my new hero. I always missed the gold versions on PS1, and I can't think of a better console to play it on. It will be nostalgic and a new experience at the same time!
Thank you, we really hope that this could be released one day but right now, we're unsure as to what the situation is. The project isn't complete yet, so right now we will just focus on ensuring we complete as much of the project as we can.

We haven't posted progress, this is because I've been extremely busy with new stuff, I actually planned to finish things up during Christmas break if possible.

I just want to say that we've worked on quite a few things over the past few months, these include:

- Texture splitting and manually converting textures to achieve better quality.
- Created new tool for texture positions etc.
- Created new tool for zones removal (cancelled) in an attempt to fix Egypt.
- Underwater palette generation exactly like the original, TIM colour palette anding method figured out.
- Lots of time was spent figuring out the method used to create padding between meshes which was recently solved by Turbo Pascal's help!

I must say the texture stuff did take a long time but it was worth it. You can checkout some screenshots below of the original game VS the converted output. There are colour differences and the colours are closer to PC and look less lossy compared to the original:

First is the original, second is the converted output!

As of now, we decided to rebuild the converter. Rather than having so much code duplicates we're now sharing code between Tomb Raider 1 and 2 so that we can easily have things fixed in both rather than having to write things out multiple times. This also lets us add support for various other versions of the game.

The current status of the Tomb Raider 1 side of the converter is 95% we just need to add full texture support and colours, everything else is managed fine and we're pleased to have gotten this far. I've currently got the textures themselves showing fine and detection of the transparency colour is also implemented. This means that we can now manage transparency better and ensure that there are NO transparency issues in the PS1 converted output as there was before.

You can have a look at how it works here:

We will also be looking into other issues of the game. The only issues which concern us is the zones in the Egypt levels. For some reason there are too many and it crashes the game on load. We removed some to overcome this however, we are now encountering camera issues of course. The plan is to remove the zones data from the high rooms and inaccessible areas. We have also had save issues where the game completely freezes up due to there not being enough memory so we're going to figure out a fix rather than removing the mutants.

That's all for now.
Thanks.