View Single Post
Old 16-08-22, 13:25   #239
Woops

Hi everyone!

-I will be looking into the issues last reported here very soon
As the focus was shifted to tomb4 a bit, and with my free time being limited tomb5 was kinda ignored but I have a really cool update now!

one of the reasons PSX looked better than PC is the vertex effects, they were completely broken on PC, making a lot of rooms look flat and just not how they're supposed to. I'm happy to say all these effects have been restored

The effects are Mist, Shimmer, and green shimmer for Red Alert! gas rooms.

Mist is only used in one place in the entire game, next to the mill in Old Mill, Shown in the video.
Here is a video showing the rooms that got the most impact (Note: these are all original dev choices, I can't choose which room does or does not get this effect, that data is in the level file. PC Engine was just not reading it properly- sometimes level builders forgot to apply these effects, that's normal)

(And as you can see, it's optional)

you may also see the new distance fog option, that will be in the next update too, if all goes according to plan. Distance fog is yet another thing broken in the PC Engine. It's supposed to start happening after 12 blocks (like PSX), but the formula was wrong, making vertices disappear without fog after 20 blocks, instead! This was fixed, but since people may be accustomed to the original look, I'm making it customizable. But the good news is, PSX distance fog is now possible!
Little comparison pic:
Top left: new PC, at 12
Top right: original PC
bottom: PSX
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote