View Single Post
Old 04-06-20, 07:43   #37
Tyrannosaurus

There was definitely chemistry and sexual tension between Lara and Kurtis, and the unmistakable impression is that they probably would have resolved that tension should the circumstances have allowed. You'd have to be blind, biased as all hell, or way too young not to see it. Furthermore, both Lara's and Kurtis' voice actors were aware of this chemistry and tried to find ways of conveying it, despite the game's extant script not really allowing for it. But it's plainly visible and on the table in-game. Just watch Lara's body language during any scene in which she interacts with Kurtis. It's obvious that she's attracted to him, whether or not the player is, and whether or not she admits this.

I loved this part, myself, because it made Lara more human to me, and hinted at the possibility of opening her up a little bit. I would have liked to have seen the dynamic with Kurtis continue in a later title, into the follow-up to AOD which would have presumably provided closure for the Core era continuity that we never got. A Grand Finale, if you will.

No, I don't want to see Lara changed by this relationship. She will never be dependent or needy, a damsel in distress, or a Faux Action Girl or any nonsense like that. She is very much her own person and does not need anyone else. But if Kurtis is ever to play a role in her life beyond mere partnership, it will be because she wants him to. AoD hinted that she wasn't opposed to this possibility. I said this before, and I'll say it again: AoD was shocking in the way that it acknowledged Lara's sexuality by treating her as a subject and not as an object. Neither of the reboots would have dared attempt this. LAU Lara was an ice queen. Reboot Lara is too serious and self-obsessed to travel anywhere beyond the asexual prepubescent hinterland that Square Enix is obviously too terrified to take her out of.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote