View Single Post
Old 04-12-19, 02:26   #1
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Default I tried playing Uncharted 4 for the first time and...

I know this reaction is years delayed, but anyway...

I bought the base PS4 on Black Friday, and I installed Uncharted 4 in it. Can't resist the discounted rate on the Playstore Store, and I was excited. For the first time, I'll be able to play the game that the Tomb Raider reboot franchise aspires to be. So this is basically as casual of an opinion that it can get. So here are my basic observations so far. I'm currently at level 6 or something.

1. Cutscenes are too long. Like longer than Max Payne's even.

2. Lighting is perfect. Probably the best that I've seen in a video game.

3. Acting is good to great. Not mindblowing, but it's not Camilla Luddington reboot cringe-y.

4. I guess too many set-pieces. I'm just starting and there are already two prison break sequences. I mean, the melee is basic. Better than Lara's but aren't that great. Just spam the punch button and press triangle to break free when there's a melee lock.

5. I don't know why some people complain on Shadow's climbing mechanics, but this game has too much climbing too.

6. The combat shooting mechanics is good even when on a control pad. It's not as hard as what PC users would normally expect from a control pad. Automatic re-healing helps. The shooting while covered mechanics is a good addition.

7. Too much hallway walking simulation sequences.

8. Not enough exploration for a game that flaunts its graphics. It's more of a picturesque horizon that you necessarily can't go to. Kinda like Rise's Syria level, but bigger.

9. I don't really know what Drake can do if he's chased by Jaguars from the TR reboot. I seriously don't know if the control pad can save me. I'm so used to the well mapped buttons on my mouse plus keyboard on PC. The one reason why I haven't died so many times yet is because the cover mechanics is saving my @$$ while waiting to heal. I don't know if my enemies will throw grenades at me, but so far, they have not done that yet.

10. If PS4 has a mouse and keyboard, this game will be so much easier. It already is on NORMAL difficulty.

11. I tried attaching the PS4 controller to my laptop to see if I can survive the Jaguar on Rise, and I could barely survive that thing.

12. Uncharted 4 on control pad is smoother than the TR reboot on control pad. Mouse and keyboard is another story.

13. Currently at level 6, and throughout the whole stretch, there's only ONE PUZZLE I had to solve. That's the part where Nathan had to get that crucifix figure from the wall. And that even wasn't hard of a puzzle. It's just there. Not hard by Tomb Raider standards.

14. Story is easy to understand even if I haven't played the other Uncharted games.

15. This game doesn't really feel that much comparable to the Tomb Raider reboot. Max Payne 3 is a better comparison.

16. In some aspects. I would even say Max Payne 3 is better. Combat mechanics is just as good. Cutscenes are less intrusive. No climbing sequences. And your enemies really have cool rifles to loot. More action sequences too. You just die more.

17. Still, Uncharted 4 is a very recommendable game if you're starting with PS4. This game is VERY newbie/casual friendly.

18. Auto save is very aggressive. Even more so than the Tomb Raider reboot.

19. I'm not sure if I would explore the entire Naughty Dog game selection if Uncharted 4 is any indication. The lengthy cutscenes is turning me off, though at the mean time, I don't wanna skip because I wanna understand the story.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I wanna know if anyone here shares my sentiments, regardless of our preference for Tomb Raider.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote