View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 11:42   #36266
killchan

I just finished Dead Space after years of procrastination and now shiftly moved on to Dead Space 2, now in Chapter 7.

Played on normal with keyboard and mouse these games are pretty easy.
I know for a fact that harder modes are OVERKILL so I'm looking forward to that.
These arsenal and progression system scream replayability.

I didn't like the idea of the silent protagonist in the first game: it felt like a cheap self-insert slot for the player. GG but there's some roughness that got fixed in the sequel.

The second game seems more aware and confident of its potential as an horror TPS. Almost no tasks, way more combat , disturbing moments and enemy types. It has an actual character as protagonist too! I don't like Stross, or in general, the idea of characters that the story wants me to believe they're helpful or even KEY when they're obviously not reliable.

The first game felt too task-driven: you hop off the train, go in there, kill the baddies, complete the (very cool , don't get me wrong) task, hop on another train, leave. It all plays well but the "chapter completed" message as you hop on the next train made me say "Uh? That's it?" more than once, and I don't think that's too good. I think the game made me go through the same areas more than once, but I never really had to pay attention, so I think that nothing was lost in the adoption of the linear structure for DS2.

Last edited by killchan; 12-04-21 at 14:21.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote