View Single Post
Old 20-06-16, 19:25   #1928
vvsgh
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
But in terms of style, this is really not an easy codebase to get the hang of if you're not TeslaRus yourself. I'm not sure anyone's actually managed to understand all or most yet; my guess is Lwmte and stohrendorf might.
And that's one of the reasons why the development stalled. Also, I'd guess that it contributed to the code breakage that Steffen did during refactoring.

Another reason is that nobody understands the mathematics which is required to work with that code base.

Quote:
Getting this thing cleaned up was and remains a very important effort.
I agree. But to overdo that would be a big mistake. Nobody wants just pretty picture which doesn't do anything useful.

Quote:
became one of the developers who was for C++ but never did anything with the C++ code, because it hadn't solved any of the original problems, just introduced new ones (including merge conflicts and the whole build system thing).
That's what I don't like in the permanent refactoring which should always bring some near term benefits instead.

Quote:
Anyway: The language that TeslaRus works in is essentially C89, but run through a C++ compiler (so technically C++03) to get access to some C++ headers, and of course some of the standard extensions (the two slashes comment syntax).
That how it was. But he is already using more advanced C++ in his repository. So, he is not illiterate in C++, he just don't like it's object oriented features. So, it wasn't the primary reason to abandon the main branch. As he said "he was overwhelmed" by the rate of changes to the code base.

Actually every developer had his own reasons but everyone was embittered and lost incentives to work on the project. And Lwmte did a very good job to raise an interest by rapidly adding new features to scripts.
vvsgh is offline   Reply With Quote