View Single Post
Old 27-03-20, 20:51   #23
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
You know, i keep thinking about the platforming and i wonder if parkour/free running is the right thing.
Of course i love me a good free running gameplay and all...but how about just focusing on lara being more a gymnast?
Parkour etc speeds up the platforming, why not slowing it down?
You need to either way build the world around her being able to get past things.

You come to a jump and there are three differen variables, you can make the jump solid, you barely make it or you get past that in a different manner(be it going around it or use another mechanic)
So level design either way is built around the way lara platforms.

Why not completely focusing on a simpler method?
Have her be able to make bigger jumps with momentum, focus on momentum with platforming.
Yeah it forces the level design to be a bit more forced, but its either way forced because it all is in some way connected to help lara around.

I dont know, i love smooth and fast paced free running/parkour...but i keep thinking that a lot more slowed down platforming could also be nice.
One that has you keep thinking if you have enough momentum for a jump, takes out the fast pace a bit.
Good point. I think for me a key part is not so much the pace that Mirror's Edge had, but rather the freedom and uncertainty.

You get this environment, your goal is to get to the other side, and figuring out how to get there is the main challenge of the game. That's similar to the classic games. The difference is that for Mirror's Edge, the main challenge is usually that you're time limited; you have to find the way quickly. In classic TR, you're not time limited, the challenge is really finding the right way at all and executing it correctly. Both games have sections with either approach, but clearly they set the priorities very differently.

So for TR, I want the freedom of a Parkour game, but less focus on optimising the path and more focus on finding the path in the first place.