View Single Post
Old 23-01-20, 18:16   #117
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I felt like Lara deep down had a naiive belief that her mother was still alive, but she knew this was not likely. Perhaps she realised this after the events of TRL and thats when she started telling herself that her mother couldn't be alive, and telling Zip and Alistair thats how she felt (you can see some sadness in her face in the opening cutscene of TRU when Alistair questions the sanity of what she's doing).

So, I feel like by TRU, Lara could not bury the past without exploring the possibilities of what had happened- she knew that her mother was most likely dead, but her ulterior motive was still to find her for closure- hopefully alive.
I honestly love this narrative. I think Lara always had that belief until she saw Amelia, even if at the same time her mind was telling her that it was impossible. After all, if Natla and Amanda could 'come back' from the dead, why not her mother? At the end Lara had enough power to face reality and shoot; she finished her mother's torment and also her own and her father's research. It's a shame the last scenes looked so rushed.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote