View Single Post
Old 02-02-20, 15:33   #9
fallenangle

LUIS2289 -I bet you like scan lines too. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Problem is that what you describe as the PS TR classic experience is not what many others experienced and what many others hated. Argentina and a couple of other S.American countries apparently use(d) PAL-N and NTSC-M capable TVs - very unusual in that if it is a RGB SCART capable one too you can play NTSC games at 480i/60Hz RGB. That's the best picture quality you can get from a SD display.

In the UK/EU to be able to do that you had to import the US NTSC version of the game and either mod the PS or use a boot disc like PS-X. That also assumes the TV was NTSC compliant (most were) and supported RGB SCART too.

Not all did, a lot of gamers here played their early PS games in 576i/50Hz via an RF connection ie. to the aerial socket. If the game was not PAL optimised (many were not) it would display bordered and have slower and therefore less smooth animation. That was their 'classic' PS game experience.

The result was not pretty and even though AV Composite was better and RGB SCART capable TVs with NTSC 60Hz support quickly became ubiquitous, as described, you still had to import the NTSC version of a game to get the best 'classic' display experience.

Most gamers did not ever get to see that.

Then you have to consider the later Playstations as well: consoles like the PS2 that directly supported original PS games providing the universal option of using Component YPbPr. That is as good as RGB SCART for SD when TV settings are adjusted properly. The PS2 also offers certain display enhancements for PS games which were a definite benefit in some cases but barely noticeable in others. Later Playstation consoles add HDMI display capability into the mix. That's all genuine console experience, potentially far better looking than when the games were first released. But then the display issues of the flat screens that replaced CRTs has to be considered - many displayed SD interlaced games terribly.

Even with the PAL DC, the only games console I know of that specifically supports PAL60 and not NTSC, you still had to use a RGB SCART cable and many casual users did not. Its VGA capability was used by even less worldwide.

Even you are not getting the original console experience. You're using an emulator and with filters (ePSXe?) - not exactly authentic.

My point is the so called 'classic' console experience of TR means different things depending on where you live, your system hardware and cabling.

On PC you get consistency of experience and whilst I agree resolution is not the be all and end all, 1280x1024 60Hz on a decent monitor is better looking than any console version displaying interlaced in lower resolution. Of course you can adjust the gamma of the PC version to give you a murky, more genuinely console version experience............. if you're a masochist.

Last edited by fallenangle; 03-02-20 at 14:37. Reason: typo
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote