View Single Post
Old 14-04-20, 07:34   #5
mizuno_suisei

Hey guys! I just want to say - Joey79100's description of TR4 script editing may seem strange to you jcdbm and there's a reason for that.

The Tomb Raider Level Editor is based on TR4, it provides the tool that Core Design themselves originally used to actually make the scripts! What you see in Scripter4 is 'post editing'. Joey clearly has extensive experience with the TRLE way of Scripting, as do I and lucky I have experience in both here :P What you edit in Scripter4 is vastly different to how TRLE users can edit the original individual Script.txt and English.txt files - before they become DAT files for use in TR4. Scripter4 edits the final compiled script build.

Quote:
Open your TR4 Script/English.dat in Scripter4. Click on the EDIT STRINGS button along the bottom.

Follow all instructions in order. Think of the Strings are as the CORE of the script, then whatever is outside of the Strings area, references that CORE.

Scroll down and find some redundant strings - for example. 221: and 222: Load OK and Saved OK. These are used in the Playstation version and not on PC as save/load is instantaneous and doesn't show a message on screen, however, you're free to use these slots in your PC version as you please.

So for test sake change to

221: DO NOT USE
222: NO TOUCHY

You could also actually only use One script line if you want, for two level slots (much like the two Temple of Horus's).
for example

221: -----------------
Yeah. Multiple dashes. This could be interpreted as "Ignore this" in game to the eye. I wouldn't get too creative with symbols - not a terrible amount are available in TR4's font table. I'm certain dashes are.

Make sure you click Apply and you'll return to the main Scripter4 window.

Select your Yes or No levels from the left hand side, then in the top right corner of the entire window you will see the level name again but with a dropdown box, scroll down to the string/s you replaced, which in my case would be ---------------- that I just edited over string 221. You'll then see the name change effect on the left hand side
Regardless if you used dashes or a combo of letters, this change will suddenly appear in the left side level select box where YES and NO once where

I just noticed both reference a DATA\A and DATA\B on YES and NO- don't edit that - i think thats a hardcoded kind of script reference regarding the level ordering.

But anyway - Save and play. I did this as I typed it and it works fine.
(^ I typed this - I just quoted it to make it easier to read)

So what you've done here is only changed the "Strings" reference of the level titles. You haven't changed their properties, positions or DATA folder assignments. From our chats regarding TR2's script, I know you really want to delete these lines completely. Yeah, it's visually annoying but, it's how the game works and nothing doooing. The devs didn't intend us to be able to ever enable all level select.

In fact, if you enable ALL LEVEL SELECT in the Playstation TR4 Script.dat, when you press New Game at the title screen and are presented with the levels, the Sound Effect for "Select" glitches on an infinite loop. Its soo loud and annoying, and if you don't choose a level fast enough, that sound glitch out gets worse and causes (epsxe) to crash looooool.

Quick backtrack to TR2 - using my method above, you could probably find similar workings in tombpceditor to change the name entries of those ending 3 DEMO levels in the script? Find a redundant Playstation string in that area, change it, then change that string in the "Demo" levels areas. Not exactly the same as scripter4 process but in my head it's very similar.

Hope that helps

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 14-04-20 at 07:40.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote