View Single Post
Old 31-05-19, 16:49   #38
CheshireBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Nothing is ever final. They're still making Transformers, Star Wars and Ghostbusters movies and basically every popular franchise from the 80's and 90's is being raised from the grave. Silent Hill and Prince of Persia may have disappeared, but those are the exceptions to the rule that the entertainment industry would rather resurrect a decades old franchise than do something original. For once, that creative bankrupcy and fear of going out of their comfort zones may work in our favour. Who knows, maybe a new developer may start making fan-approved games about old-fashioned Lara some day.
Honestly Lara was very popular in the 90's but it was a video game, just like POP and Silent Hill. Transformers, Star Wars and Ghostbusters were movies. That's the difference here. I honestly don't see the classic Lara Croft making a comeback in an AAA game, as much as I'd love to. They don't even need that anymore to sell her. They keep making goodies about her that sells like hotcakes so why will they bother with making a game ?

If they do so, it will be in a very very long time I think... not in the near future.
They don't have to raise classic Lara from her 90's grave because she never was really burried. She's still there as a marketing thing, strong enough to sell itself without promotion or games with it. So it will continue to live as this: something to make easy money and that's it. Once the fans will be pissed off and stop buying the brand new classic Lara merchandise that comes out every year, maybe they will reconsider making a game or stop it altogether but in the mean time I don't think anything will really happen even if I really I want to.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote