View Single Post
Old 24-07-19, 19:38   #68
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Not having the duals in Rise is a huge mistake they did, and I'll bitch about this till the day I die.
It’s definitely why we’re in this awkward limbo of not knowing whether Lara needs another “moment” with the pistols before she starts using them, which would be redundant like you explained, but then why else, in-universe, has she not continued using them unless she had reservations about it?

At best, maybe they could’ve had her face her guilt with killing by confronting her doppelgänger like in the DLC, just as part of the main story. The pieces are already there; Lara finds a single pistol in her hand after dragging her from the ground, who emerges holding the other, and the scene ends with Lara wrestling it from her hands, which would’ve left her with two... Apart from adding a boss fight with her and reworking the dialogue, I think that might’ve worked as is. Oh, and having the grave be Roth’s rather than Jonah’s would make more sense.

Now that I think about it, I might’ve been okay with Lara losing all of her equipment at the start of Rise if the only thing that remained were the duals - that could’ve been a powerful symbol of how far she’s come, that she isn’t starting from scratch internally or outwardly, and it would just look right.

At the end of the day, both games missed their opportunity, but I don’t think they should just be ignored because of that.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote