Thread: New technique
View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 15:26   #257
adngel
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
I am trying to do this, but I seriously can't even get Blender to show a material/texture properly from a downloaded model. It just shows up as pink in the material tab and when I render an image, while it does show the texture under the texture tab. Like seriously how hard can this be? I'm just opening a downloaded file. Can someone help me?
The purple colour is because the textures are not correctly set in the material. (Maybe if you downloaded the model, it has the materials right but is looking for the textures in a different folder).

If you are going to render an image in blender, you surelly will have to set the material there properly, but for this TRLE method, don't need bother so much. Just 1 material with 1 texture. (no specular, normals, AO, displacements, nor nothing like that).

I attach a screenshot of my blender (version 2.8, the previous ones have a different UI), it's a 1920x1080 size so I leave just the link.

https://sta.sh/0ify8z3iv67

That's the "Shading" workspace, you can select it in the top bar. (Layout, UV Editing and Shading use to be the ones used in this method).

In shading, at right, you must select your mesh, and in the "Material Properties" (the right menu, the tab that is like a red ball near the bottom of the tabs) . There you can set the materials that your mesh is going to use.

Many models (specially modern ones), may use multiple materials, but for this method there must be only 1, maybe you may have to separate head and body, or make more complex editions (if head and hair are different materials, you will need to change UVs and combine textures... so what I said, more complex XD).

But ideally, there must be 1 material, in the Material properties, at the top, there is the list of materials, if this is empty, press the plus button ("+") and then "New" button. That will make the material graph appear.

If there are more than 1 material, remove all the others with the button minus ("-"), leave just one, when there is only 1, all the model gets it.

In the Graph editor (the scheme at the lower half), you can drag your texture from the windows explorer, on the Blender desktop, it will make appear a node that you can connect to the "Base Color" entry.

With that, you should be able to see the material. Ensure that you are in texture or render view (in the 3d window, at top right, there are like 4 balls, one is for wireframe view, solid view, texture view and render view).