Thread: General Chat
View Single Post
Old 22-06-20, 19:04   #3143
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
As for the crunch time, I do think this is required for any sort of hugely ambitious projects. Perhaps, they should avoid having crunch time for more than month's time, but I really do believe it almost cannot be avoided. Let's hope for better management who can find ways to make game development a less inhospitable environments. I really do think that over a month of crunch is absolutely irresponsible.
Here's the thing about crunch, though: it should always be the exception, and not the norm. It might be inevitable, but never expected nor glorified. And when absolutely necessary, it should always be carefully pre-planned so it can go as smoothly as possible.

Speaking from my experience as a researcher: there will always be a set of experiments that will be very time consuming and will need me to be in a lab for more time than what I usually am. And if they seem to appear suddenly, it just seems to take much longer than they need, while also giving worse results.

And here's the kicker: those crunching times are almost never something that appear that sudden. If they do, it is either because you weren't fully aware of your work, or because management itself screwed up. And let me tell you, the latter is much common than the former. A well maganed project will always try to minimize crunch and carefully plan it when absolutely necessary. But this seem rarely the case in the gaming industry.

Again, speaking from my experience: when I can plan my crunching periods, not only they go much smoother and in a less stressful way, but most times I can actually reduce the expected crunching time. Sometimes you find ways to do things without taking so long, just because you could properly think of ways to do it with time.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 22-06-20 at 19:24.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote