View Single Post
Old 02-01-10, 17:38   #27
KIKO

DERELICT APARTMENT BLOCK

The developers did not do this level justice. It showed such promise in concept but in reality it's a major disappointment. You want to know how they butchered this fantastic level?

CONCEPTUAL STAGE

Elevator concept

APARTMENT LEVEL - If Lara doesn't get caught by the police in the previous level she gets to visit the Apartment level. This level might resemble Derelict Apartment Block and it does, with an exception. The police are not aware Lara is inside unlike in the retail where they throw a gas bomb.

1 - Lara enters the apartment through a window on the ground floor
2 - She sees a policeman knock on an apartment door
3 - She quickly runs up stairs
4 - On the upper floor she gets trapped between two policeman
5 - So she dives down the laundry chute
6 - She lands on a pile of laundry in the basement
7 - Lara must hide on top of the lift because
8 - A policeman is about to come into the basement
9 - The policeman takes the elevator with Lara on top of it
10 - The policeman leaves the elevator and continues his search
11 - Lara gets down to the floor and into a corridor
12 - Then she enters an apartment
13 - And she has to creep upstairs
14 - Past the residents who are watching TV or something
15 - She makes her way out the window
16 - And onto the roof

WAREHOUSE LEVEL - If Lara gets caught by the police in the previous level she gets to visit the Warehouse. This level might not resemble Direlict Apartment Block but if you look closely you will see derelict floors, a gas bomb being thrown, police aware of Lara's presence. This is the Derelict Apartment Block we know, only it's a warehouse instead.

1 - Lara must push an obstacle in front of the door
2 - The police fire tear gas into the building
3 - Lara runs upstairs
4 - The police fire into the building causing the old wooden floors to give away
5 - Lara continues as the building collapses beneath her
6/7 - She climbs out throwing the window and on to the roof

This might be another concept of the warehouse

DERELICT APARTMENT BLOCK LEVEL - Maybe the developers were out of time or maybe they decided to combine the apartment and the warehouse into one. In others words, it doesn't matter if Lara gets caught or not, she will end up at the same place BUT the gameplay changes and here's how. If the player doesn't get caught in the previous level, the level will act as the 'apartment level', if the players does gets caught in the previous level then level will act as the 'warehouse level'. Get it?

As a result of this merge there are two entrances: the main door and the window. The window entrance is missing from the final stage but there is a 'useless' platform near the 2nd floor window which you can only get to by using a drainpipe on the streets route and that could be the answer. The basement is also missing from the final stage. In addition and according to the sound files the police would chase Lara upstairs in the 'warehouse level'. Of course that would later be deleted.

To sum it up, this level would act differently according to the player's caution in the previous level. Getting caught means the player is in for a chase (I believe the cutscene at the end of Parisian Back Streets to be half of the cutscene where Lara gets arrested and thrown into a van). Not getting caught means a stealth level.

BETA STAGE

Notice the elevator shaft does not have doors. This would help Lara get on top of the elevator in the 'Apartment level' in order to make her way up.

LARA'S DIALOGUE

Quote:
OBSERVATION
This door is locked, I’ll need a key

STRENGTH
I’m not strong enough

STRENGTH
I feel stronger now

OBSERVATION
I think I can move that wardrobe.

Note: I found this line in Parisian Back Streets sound files but unless someone can think of another wardrobe I think this belongs here. Also remember that some sound files can be found in the wrong levels so don't be quick to assume they belong there!

OBSERVATION
Gas! Gotta get out of here! [NOT RECORDED]

Note: There are only two places where this could fit. Here or in Galleries Under Siege
POLICE DIALOGUE

Quote:
Cover the back!
Call for backup!
Take the front door.
Watch it!
Cover me.
Employ gas.
Surrender!
Throw down your weapons.
The building is surrounded.
Give yourself up.
This is your last warning.
Suspect on first floor.
First floor clear.
Suspect has moved to the second floor.
Second floor clear.
Suspect on third floor.
Third floor clear.
Suspect on fourth floor.
Fourth floor clear.
Suspect on roof.
Call for air support.

Note: It seems like a police man would search for Lara in every floor making the level a bit more dangerous. Unfortunately in the retail version the police man doesn’t move past the stairs of the ground floor

Last edited by KIKO; 10-12-14 at 20:26.
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote