View Single Post
Old 02-01-19, 19:59   #5
Kapu

I found the response TombRaiderTim might be thinking of:

Quote:
Sadly, you didn’t voice Lara in Tomb Raider II – although Judith Gibbins did an excellent job as your replacement. What led to Lara being recast?

They called me a year later and asked me to voice the second game but by that time I was contracted for something else and I was unable to. I did however give my permission for them to use my sound bites… and they used them on games II and III. For me it wasn’t a big deal compared to what I was contracted to… it was just one job I would be missing out on and as I said because I wasn’t a gamer it didn’t really mean anything to me. Just that I wasn’t available for the job. If I had been of course I would have done it. SOURCE
I'd definitely recommend reading the whole interview. It gives you a better idea of Shelley's relationship with TR. Despite how active and engaged she is with the character and fans these days, it hasn't been that way since TR1 came out. She didn't really reconnect with TR until the advent of Twitter and such, which makes total sense.

As for casting Judith, it wouldn't have been at all odd to cast her back then. Today, a leading part in a AAA video game is akin to leading role in a movie. Big talent with acting chops are sought after. It wasn't like that at all in 1997. Some games had extensive dialog, but the majority didn't. You hired local talent for voice acting; they recorded their lines usually in a single session. Judith had a relative at Core who suggested she audition, and that's how she got the gig.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote