View Single Post
Old 03-09-18, 16:49   #7
Kapu
Professor

100% agreed. Rise is my least favorite Tomb Raider game, but I absolutely love TR2013 and replay it at least once or twice a year. I didn't like the direction Rise took. The more "dense" hubs, as the devs called them, were so packed full of crap that I gave up trying to find everything. I know this is hugely fun for lots of people, but to me it was a chore. All of the game suffered from the "chore" factor for me, unfortunately.

I won't deny that the storytelling in TR2013 leaves a lot to be desired (and I've been very critical of it!), but cliched as it was, it was still entertaining. On the other hand, I couldn't get into the story of Rise at all. Above all, I could not care less about Lara's stupid ass dad. Also, the story of the Prophet and the Divine Source just didn't hold my attention whatsoever. I've only played through Rise once and have barley touched it since, but I just can't remember the lore surrounding either being that compelling. They did a much better job building up the story of Himiko, in my opinion. The journals helped a lot with this in TR2013, in particular the ones from Hoshi. On the flip side, I literally skipped damn near every journal in Rise. Listened to the first few and just...didn't...care. Now I'm not saying that they were poorly done necessarily, they just didn't grab my attention. The overall story just wasn't my cup of tea, but I know that other people enjoyed it. To each their own.

Lara, in Rise, is AWFUL. I'm usually very careful to state most of my opinions as just that, opinions, BUT THIS IS A FACT. She's the worst. I've said this before and I still believe it - she's obsessive and manic and it's painful to watch her do anything. Maybe, maybe, her attitude is deliberately whack because she's supposed to be suffering from PTSD from Yamati. Yeah, that would mess a person up big time, but the problem is Lara suffering from PTSD is NOT a major plot point of Rise at all. If I remember right, the only attention brought to Lara's mental state is confined to a few collectable journals. And that's it. Oh, and that CGI announcement trailer.

I know a lot of people disliked Lara's characterization in TR2013, but I don't mind her. She's meant to be young, inexperienced, and somewhat naive, and I think that comes through well enough. But she's also curious, excitable, and determined. Again, I won't deny that the writing is not great in this game and Lara (in addition to all the cast) could have used a lot more character development, but at the end of the day, I like who she is. That ending line (cliched as it is) when Lara says "I'm not going home," gave me so much hope for her character. They really could have gone anywhere with Lara at that point, and I just hated the direction they ultimately took in Rise. I could go on and on about how much I dislike Lara in Rise, but I'll leave it at that.

One last thing I'd like to add is that the combat in Rise wasn't nearly as fun as TR2013. I know, I know, there was too much combat in TR2013, but by comparison, it felt like there was barely any in Rise. Also, I HATE all the throw-able crap they added. I don't find the "distract enemies by throwing objects" fun at all and felt it was perfectly done already by shooting arrows into wall. Instead the environment is littered with garbage to throw everywhere, that in the end, felt useless to me.

OK, I'm really done now. TL;DR TR2013 is great, Rise tried expanding on it in a way that made it unfun, along with a hugely unlikable portrayal of Lara.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote