View Single Post
Old 14-06-19, 17:25   #60
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I'm not saying CD had a choice. I'm saying IF CD had made Reboot the way they did but as a new IP, it's possible, now in 2019 Tomb Raider could have been given to someone else.
Reboot wouldn’t exist, if TR wasn’t put in their hands. Reboot is a direct result of trying to refresh the franchise....

Quote:
You forgot that it was the first title on the PS2, which was HUGE at the time. If finished, AOD would have sold a lot more easily. I'm not saying AOD is a different formula, but it was a big step up. So it's not as if the formula was getting stale.
The formula was definitely stale, imo. As I said, AoD was classic with prettier graphics and a couple of additions. I’m bringing sales up, not to make it look bad, but simply as a way to show that the decline meant something. The numbers are still impressive, save for TRC and AoD. But the commercial failure of AoD wasn’t solely related to it being “unfinished”. Most of the people weren’t even aware of that. Also, AoD being on the PS2 was like ROTTR being on the XBONE - in which ROTTR was a HUGE graphical upgrade from TR2013, while keeping the same formula, and adding new elements, like AoD in regards to TRC. Also, when I said “stopped working” I solely mean from a business point of view. I understand that, for you personally, each sequel worked fine - they did for me too at the time

Quote:
Well you don't know that for sure.
I know that for sure, because the publisher is the one who calls the shots. The publisher, back then, Eidos. So either Crystal, or any other dev, whatever what was made next, it would definitely be different. What I don’t know is if it would be better or worse than LAU

Quote:
Eidos didn't take TR away from Core because the formula failed. It was because AOD wasn't finished and didn't sell as well as it could have done.
From a business PoV, if the game (or any other product) stopped selling, it’s the formula failed, especially when there were previous releases in the same formula showing a decline in commercial success. It happened then, and it’s happening now