View Single Post
Old 07-12-21, 23:55   #10
Topixtor
Historian

Here are the two "tricks" I usually do to have a smooth (or so) lighting transition (click to enlarge):

Case 1: I place the light bulb on the sector directly before the portal, then I take him up into the wall; I did that even without knowing about the TR2 crash (in fact you can see other "free" lights in the room that could potential crash the game; you don't need to worry about that for TR1, luckly!). This ensures, after finding the right intensity/size of the bulb, that the wall above the portal doesn't produce the "darker or brighter than the rest" effect. Provided the two rooms have a different base value, usually a low intensity here works the best when there are no other light sources near the portal on the other side, otherwise it's trial and error until you find the same intensity and you may need to rearrange the bulbs.

This kind of placement, at least in TR2, also allows some light to "penetrate" from the wall: hence, I placed a light texture on the inside of the room, adding a believable light source;

Case 2: I place the light bulb on the portal sector; technically that sector would be in the nearby room, but if you don't draw it in the editor you can freely place the light here and it will only affect your active room.
In case it doesn't make you do that, there is a general way of placing light inside walls: place it normally, then shift+click into the desired wall to move it there.
This was extremely useful in that room, because it's supposed to be almost completely dark: by placing it functionally outside of the room, you still light up the "exterior" wall that would otherwise be pitch black, as well as the floor below creating a morbid but shorter transition into the darkness, while said wall "blocks" the bulb from affecting anything in the actual room.

When the area of effect of light bulbs collide, they may create abnormal shadows and such. That's why, in cases like that, usually the size it's always on 1 (in the second example, a bigger size could make the light penetrate the wall too). However, having a little size could also fail to reach the floor below; in that case it's, once again, trial and error, and often placing a small bulb under the floor can solve it without creating too much shadow.

Hope it can help, but keep in mind TR1 could act differently; I started building a TR1 level once but never got to the lighting.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote