www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 30-11-14, 19:23   #1
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Default Mod - Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Text Cleanup

Hello, everyone! It's LateRaider again, here with a text cleanup mod for Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I love Angel of Darkness, but I didn't like its textual issues... So, I started editing the text with Suikaze Raider's TRAOD Text Editor.

Overview:
  • Uses the TRAOD Updater by Suikaze Raider to add back in the "Cough, cough!" subtitle in the Galleries Under Siege level.
  • Lots of text was cleaned up in the grammar department, like added commas, periods, fixed typos, and other such edits.
  • Various text was made consistent, like the Pair Of Scorpion-X Pistols' non-twin cousin was once called the Scorpion X. (Notice the dash.) Things like that have been fixed.
  • Text denoting actions, like "Gasp!" or "Shriek!" are now in brackets with little punctuation. (e.g., "[Gasp]", "[Shriek]")
  • Missing periods and commas were added where they're supposed to be, in the interest of readability.
  • Subtitles are now much, much more accurate to what's actually being spoken!
  • Weapon "clips" are now consistently known as magazines, which is what they're supposed to be called.

Go here for screenshots!

(TR6 Text Cleanup v1.2 is compatible with saves made using previous versions.)

How to install:
I'll use the GOG.com release as an example here, but this mod should work for all versions. You may have a different path to your game and its installation data, depending on your version.
  1. Unzip Tomb6_TextClean.ZIP.
  2. Copy, or cut, the text_uk.DB file from the unzipped Tomb6_TextClean.
  3. Locate your Lara Croft - Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness folder.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness
  4. Locate your Angel of Darkness Data folder.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness\Data
  5. Locate your Angel of Darkness Data folder's locale folder.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness\Data\locale
  6. Paste text_uk.DB from your Tomb6_TextClean folder to the locale folder. When asked to replace the file, say "yes."

If it's not too much trouble, I have some small requests of the users of this mod.

1. This may require more proof-reading; after all, I'm an American spell-checking a British English script. I'm especially wary about my comma usage... While I may have put in commas in acceptable places for an American script, I may have overused them for a British one.

2. As for word spellings, I used the Oxford British & World English Dictionary to help me ensure I didn't accidentally slip an Americanism in there, but the fact remains that as an American, I don't think I can truly, 100% know all the nuances of British English.

3. I also made the subtitles as accurate as possible, but I may not have caught every single little noise or grunt made by someone to be displayed in the subtitles. If there's ever a disconnect between the subtitles and voice clips, please let me know!

4. Also, there may be additional problems. Screenshots, along with reports of whatever problem you encountered--be it a grammar issue, a subtitle/voice clip dichotomy, or anything else--would help a lot.

I hope, though, that with v1.2, this mod is complete.

Special thanks to everyone who supported me throughout the testing of this project.

Please enjoy; have a lovely day!

Last edited by LateRaider; 14-03-16 at 08:04. Reason: Here's v1.2.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 19:27   #2
Alex Fly

Arrow

This seems to be an interesting mod. As English isn't my primarily language I can't help you with this. Hopefully someone will help you to fix the potential problems.

Just a suggestion : you should post some comparison screenshots too as I'm sure everyone would love to see how it looks like before downloading and installing it. It might also convince others to give you their feedback and locate some errors you missed.

Thanks for you efforts into developing this. It's always good to see new stuff developed by the community for the classic games.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 20:12   #3
Peterstar101
Professor

I'll be installing this soon!

Great work!
Old 01-12-14, 22:55   #4
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Thank you, Peterstar101! Let me know of any problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Just a suggestion : you should post some comparison screenshots too as I'm sure everyone would love to see how it looks like before downloading and installing it. It might also convince others to give you their feedback and locate some errors you missed.
I should, for sure; it would give me an excuse to replay The Angel of Darkness. I'm definitely going to do that, Alex Fly. For now, there's a changelog to help people discern a few of the larger differences.

Thanks for the kudos!

Last edited by LateRaider; 02-12-14 at 06:39.
Old 05-12-14, 08:22   #5
Alex Fly

Looking forward to those screenshots ! And I'm impatient to read Peterstar's impressions too.
Old 05-12-14, 12:30   #6
LateRaider
Archaeologist

This will be the screenshot post. I'll make a link in the first post of this thread later.

Edit - This got to be too filled with images, so to reduce load time in the thread, I've just made an Imgur album.

Go here for it!

Last edited by LateRaider; 07-02-15 at 10:00. Reason: Made an Imgur album.
Old 06-12-14, 13:36   #7
Alex Fly

Thumbs up

These first three screenshots look good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
I used Google Translate to ensure the French was spelled right. If it's wrong, please let me know, though!
It's correct. I'd be happy to help you regarding any further French transcription if necessary.
Old 06-12-14, 13:41   #8
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

It's known as Magazine in American but we call them clips here
Old 06-12-14, 15:30   #9
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Really, sackboy123? Thank you for the info! I'll have to go in and revert it, then.

Edit 1 - I'm finding mixed results; I found this in the Cambridge British English Dictionary:
magazine, noun (GUNS) › a part of a gun in which cartridges are stored
clip, noun (GUN PART) › a container that is fastened to a gun, from which bullets go into the gun to be fired

Plugging the magazine definition into Google gives results for gun magazines on Wikipedia and gun sites, but plugging clip's definition in gives me results chiefly for the Cambridge British English Dictionary. It looks like they should stay as magazines, unless the Cambridge Dictionary is wrong.

Edit 2 - Also, the trusty Oxford World & British English Dictionary said this about magazines:
"A container or detachable receptacle for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun:
he took the machine gun and a spare magazine"

To my knowledge, gun magazines got started being called "clips" at some point, and it stuck in video games. (Check Resident Evil 1 for PSone for another egregious example.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
It's correct. I'd be happy to help you regarding any further French transcription if necessary.
Thank you, Alex Fly! I'll be sure to ask you if it ends up being necessary.

Last edited by LateRaider; 06-12-14 at 15:44. Reason: meep
Old 06-12-14, 15:43   #10
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

I think Magazines and clips can mean the same thing