www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 22-03-15, 00:00   #551
SLAYER
Archaeologist

People who download and install nglide as standalone usually have enough technical knowledge on its purpose.

The problem isn't really with adding an extra pop up to the installer. People keep clicking next without knowing what is being installed. Some would think nglide is essential software that would magically work on its own (like that directx setup they just clicked next on). Afterall the readme promises "unattended install procedure" and "letting users only concentrate on game play".

Making the nglide configurator run after setup is not only user friendly, it provides a uniform experience with the other TR classics, where a config screen appears at first launch. An alternitve would be adding an nglide shortcut with the TR shorcuts, this way people are more likely to notice and click it.

Just a few things to think about for possible future versions
Old 22-03-15, 01:37   #552
gidierre
Grease Monkey

well I'd edited my previous post, don't know if you noticed:
to try to address the problem you pointed out, I added some more info and a link on the tombraiderhub page anyway.

still I guess making that nGlide configurator run after setup might as well be some display of userfriendliness but sure isn't one thing that its very maker saw as essential otherwise he'd have designed it differently or made it show up the minute setup is through which he didn't did he
I guess he feels default is good enough and config is worthwhile only for resolution & aspect ratio customization

anyway I see what you mean
knowing how InnoSetup wants you to lay out your tasks, your point could be made via a short nested script that goes somewhat like this draft:
Code:
:: run_nGlide.bat
@echo off
start /w nGlide103_setup.exe
cd\
cd windows
if not %processor_architecture%==x86 goto isx64
cd system32
start C:\Windows\System32\nglide_config.exe
exit
:isx64
cd SysWOW64
start C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nglide_config.exe
exit
at least this is the easiest way I can think of to append the doggone configurator transparently to its mother exe.
Is that right for you?

Last edited by gidierre; 22-03-15 at 09:28.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-15, 19:08   #553
JasonDavies15
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post

shaders.. as much as I've been enjoying their usage with an emulator like ScummVM unfortunately unfit for all TR things, as far as Tomb Raider 1 is concerned I've never been much happy with that but maybe it's just me

for sure, one thing is having a go at it using the glide patch:
http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/
click on dosbox
then downloads: shaders
another one is through nGlide

by pixelated sprites I assume you mean to hint at someting like the mummy as seen in images such as shown here don't you

as discussed in following posts anyway, I guess our mate Famicon is striving for an application of SweetFx shader paraphernalia on TR1 stuff and I hope he'll succeed
Thanks but that hasnt answered my question how do i enable shaders in the configuration file?
JasonDavies15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-15, 19:16   #554
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavies15 View Post
Thanks but that hasnt answered my question how do i enable shaders in the configuration file?
From my experience with ykhwong builds:

The shaders are for dosbox use only in direct3d output mode from my experience. They can affect games that dosbox renders itself, although at times dosbox feels like not using the shader(except for the bilinear.fx). There is currently no way to use them in tomb raider with any 3dfx wrapper as far as i know.

Enabling them, you set the output to direct3d and under shaders type <insertnamehere>.fx. Some will plain not work since dosbox may refuse to use them. Hardwarex# scaling might be necessary.

Last edited by Kirishima; 22-03-15 at 19:20.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-15, 19:32   #555
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavies15 View Post
how do i enable shaders in the configuration file?
as Kirishima already pointed out

with dosbox there is supposedly a way, but I can only quote gulikoza of glide patch fame from his page (link above) :
Quote:
Set 'pixelshader=' option in dosbox.conf to one of the shaders and 'scaler=hardware2x' or hardware3x (use normal2x in builds older than 18.3.2006). When pixel shader is active DOSBox will report it in the console:
D3D:Pixel shader output enabled
If you don't get this line then pixel shader effects are not in use.
I think I tried it once, but saw no effect whatsoever, or maybe I was "spoiled" by the dramatic changes I used to see using ScummVM
fact is the smooth fx I got to like if applied on eg Lucasarts' "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" or "The Dig", well I never cared much for them to mod TR1 I don't know why

anyway as I figured shader failure is like the thing with the fullscreen= parameter, when the glide patch takes over it's one of those settings in conf's that just get overridden and you need to edit OpenGlid.ini instead, I mean for fullscreen to be set

with nGlide tbh I don't even know if shaders can be applied at all
that's why I'd been referring to the SweetFx software.

Last edited by gidierre; 22-03-15 at 19:53.
Old 23-03-15, 13:20   #556
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Spring Cleaning time with a little maintenance update:

installer to move to v1.7.3.2 including a revamped FMV patch v.2.2
http://dl.tombraiderhub.com/tomb-rai...er-1.7.3.2.zip

and rerendered soundtrack tool to v1.4
http://dl.tombraiderhub.com/tomb-rai...dtrack-1.4.zip

work done mostly seeking to keep up consistency and reliability among the installer and the optional patch & addon as best as I can when it comes to waltzing through their relevant install/uninstall setups

now the installer itself has a nice and flawless uninstall capacity from day one, courtesy of excellent Inno Setup features, but with secondary/optional applications like said patch and addon, you can't rely too much on Inno Setup scripts alone to see to it that everything matches without a lot of fine-tuning

links & info updated here on page 1, this thread, first post
and on tombraiderhub page:
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/guides/...ced-installer/

Last edited by gidierre; 23-03-15 at 13:59.
Old 29-03-15, 18:22   #557
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Updating to v1.7.4 completed!
what's changed? oh, you mean besides the numbering ?

firstly following an advice by Slayer I added an expansion of nGlide configuration during setup, showing the Configurator interface right away and also a specific hint about its usage
http://s11.postimg.org/qvd3e8wsz/Immagine5.jpg

secondly, in the wake of this discussion I felt like making me such a
no-CD patch for TR1 and UB
to use after (combined with) my installer as of v1.7.4

I also provided a full fledged uninstall feature for it
to be sure the patching won't go ahead until it has successfully checked for the presence of a previous legit Tomb Raider 1 installation, be it on cdrom or a digital version
not finding one it will quit with a warning
the game doesn't even have to be already fully installed, having the TR1 setup on cd/dvd or on hard disk will do

I added the undo feature, but I do believe everyone who tries the no-CD patch will hardly be inclined to do without it after, if anything by virtue of its speeding the works up a lot every time game is launched
now after working it out I'd been expecting some enhancement since the no-CD hack I made is all about corner cutting scriptwise, but really I've been impressed myself by how much faster entering the game has become
still I may be biased so you try it and see

they say a word is worth a thousand pictures, or something like that so LOOK:

really?

ouch!

see the full guide @tombraiderhub
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/guides/...ced-installer/

links to
installer v1.7.4
http://dl.tombraiderhub.com/tomb-rai...ller-1.7.4.zip

rerendered soundtrack v1.4
http://dl.tombraiderhub.com/tomb-rai...dtrack-1.4.zip

btw, you'll find the no-CD patch lying within the same zip as the 1.7.4 installer and the patch for fmv issues addon alright, but it's not contained in the very installer setup
I chose to leave it as a separate software to run on its own.

As usual, any feedback is welcome.

Last edited by gidierre; 29-03-15 at 19:26.
Old 30-03-15, 19:38   #558
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Can I just ask, do you know when and if this installer will recieve a widescreen fix? honestly I think what you have done is fantastic and this is my only gripe. The thing is, recently i've been using a PS1 emulator known as PCSXR to play Tomb Raider as it has a widescreen patch and I thought it would be fun to see what Tomb Raider 1 looks like with it. Here are the results:

It looks great doesn't it. I was thinking if something like this was made for your installer then it would be fantastic. Is this possible on the PC version?

Edit: Hey, This is my 333th post XD

Last edited by ToMbRaIdErxFtW; 30-03-15 at 19:40.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-15, 08:47   #559
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
when and if this installer will recieve a widescreen fix? ...recently i've been using a PS1 emulator known as PCSXR to play Tomb Raider as it has a widescreen patch..It looks great doesn't it
those screenshots look very nice indeed
now I really know nothing about this PCSXR software, I looked it up and saw it's opensource

based on what I could quickly get a glimpse of, of all them I focused on a single .c file, whose path is:
Quote:
/plugins/peopsxgl/gte_accuracy.c
https://pcsxr.codeplex.com/SourceCon...gte_accuracy.c

and the relevant header namely gte_accuracy.h, who together seem to be the core of the nice widescreen fix

there you see that 3 dimensional array:
Code:
float gteCoords[0x800 * 2][0x800 * 2][2];
and those 2 functions
Code:
GPUaddVertex()
and
Code:
getGteVertex()
all looking very much promising, and very bright too may I add (for what my judgement is worth)

but I say "seem to be" because only a thorough browsing of all this code would let you grasp all the nesting frame and connections

anyway, the major problem I can see here is surely not its integration with dosbox (opensource) code, but when it comes to glide wrapping, to match it with nGlide in this case (as opposed to Glidos, or the glide patch wrapper things) and that's no opensource...
so it'd really be nGlide's business to use/tweak it (if ever feasible at all...).
Old 31-03-15, 09:24   #560
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

^
If it's looking promising like you say then that fantastic. I'm really glad i brought it up then XD.

I really wish I could contribute to things like this instead if just asking for more. I don't know anything about coding

Last edited by ToMbRaIdErxFtW; 31-03-15 at 12:08.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote