www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 30-04-16, 21:01   #111
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
I just wanted to mention...the placement of the music is great in this level.
Thank you for pointing that out, because I mentally noted it during my playthrough and then forgot to mention it in the review. I love that track that you mentioned though, and I appreciate its insertion in a lot of the key parts of this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
Speaking of traps, I also think they were pretty underwhelming in this level too. Especially considering how long the level was. The only traps we got were the glass shards (spikes) and the rolling barrels (boulder). It definitely could’ve incorporated more traps in this level and decrease the human enemy count. Just take the Great Pyramid level in TR1. There are only like 3 Atlantean enemies there, but the whole level consists of traps that create a fun challenge.
Agreed, that is slightly disappointing; I think that a lot of the humans could have easily been exchanged for more barrels, or maybe even some sort of falling hazard? Kind of like the sandbags, only perhaps thematically appropriate for the sunken liner... like a chandelier or something, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroyuki View Post
The trouble with the blocks is they are totally artificial, there simply would not be any such things in the liner or most of the other levels where they occur. I can imagine having to shift the odd crate around but they wouldn't precisely fit square holes in the walls like that. And where the blocks are stone cubes, I did a calculation and concluded such a block would literally weigh 10 tonnes! I doubt even the strongest of people could shift such a block if it had no wheels or anything. (That is why in my Great Wall retexture I turned the block Lara has to move into a large crate.)
Crates make a hell of a lot more sense than these massive metal blocks that do not seem to serve any purpose other than to simply exist and hinder our progress. They show up so often in TR1 and 2 though, it's kind of funny how realistically Lara would not even be able to move them.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to try and play Living Quarters today or tomorrow, and I've got a feeling my reception will not be as positive as these past two reviews...
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-16, 22:10   #112
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Chandeliers dropping on you in an upside-down wreck would make less sense than large metal blocks being moveable

It makes some sense that pieces of the wall could have come loose and be moved around, for all we know those metal cubes could be hollow anyway; coagulated metal like that isn't often very thick.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 16:04   #113
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Well everything being upside down in the 3rd and 4th water levels seemed like a unique thing.
Old 01-05-16, 17:26   #114
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

actually from what i remember most of Living Quarters was upright
Brendanlovesu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 19:00   #115
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanlovesu1 View Post
actually from what i remember most of Living Quarters was upright
I was talking about 40 fathoms and wreck of maria doria.
Old 01-05-16, 21:57   #116
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
I was talking about 40 fathoms and wreck of maria doria.
but you said 3rd and 4th levels meaning living quarters or the deck, or am i confused??? if so i apologize
Brendanlovesu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 23:18   #117
Hiroyuki
Explorer

I think Peeves is including the rig levels as he said "water levels" not "underwater levels".

The Deck of course is the right way up apart from the broken stern section which is on its side except for the stern door itself which is the right way up which doesn't make sense as that means it was originally sideways when the ship was afloat.
Old 02-05-16, 00:37   #118
trfan16
Archaeologist

Living Quarters was indeed upright like Brendanlovesu1 mentioned. Wreck of the Maria Doria and 40 Fathoms takes part in the upside-down part of the ship. Speaking of Living Quarters, this has to be the most forgettable level in the Classic series. I probably remember all the levels in TR4 before I remember Living Quarters. I remember when I first played TRII for the first time in a long time a couple years back, I completely forgot about this level. I was expecting to play the Deck next after Wreck of the Maria Doria. This level is pretty much similar to Wreck of the Maria Doria too. Luckily, it was pretty short and I don't mind another underwater level as they were all awesome.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 14:53   #119
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

THE MARIA DORIA
Level 9 - "Living Quarters"

Are We There Yet?

This is a disappointing level... and to be honest, this is going to be a disappointing write-up to go with it. I don't have a whole lot to say about Living Quarters that hasn't already been said by the majority of fans. It's not good enough to have the praise of its two predecessors, but it certainly is not bad enough to require the ranting of either of the two rig levels.

The first half of Living Quarters is essentially a continuation of Wreck of the Maria Doria, and aside from the repetitive textures and atmosphere, it's pretty good. The piston puzzle requires a little bit of forethought, and the flooding of the chamber to reach the cavern with Mr. Eel is a nice touch. Speaking of Mr. Eel, holy **** did that thing scare me as a kid. Not as much as Temple of Xian's horrid monstrosities that I shudder to think of at this moment (), but it was still pretty frightening.

As a whole this first half is great, and would have made for a nice precursor to The Deck.

... and then the second half happened.

The first few rooms after the cavern feel like a pointless extension in a level that is already really pushing it in terms of new ideas. There are multiple shortcuts that can be taken here to get out of doing certain rooms, which in a way is both good and bad. It's good because this part of the level is utterly boring, but it's bad because such blatant shortcuts should never really have been possible in the first place.

There's the jade secret, a few more big, empty areas, and then the horribly frustrating finale to Living Quarters, which is basically a big shoot-em-up in the proper living quarters of the ship. I did not count how many guys were in this area, but it's a lot, and most of them are the annoying shotgun-wielding type. This part drags on for far too long, as the process of reaching the switch to flood the pit takes a good chunk of time and mows through a plethora of bad guys. It's tiresome and frustrating, and repeating the same textures and general gameplay ideas of the first two Maria Doria levels does not help anything here. Combat in close quarters is also not welcome; as we will see, The Deck does a better job with its big, open areas.

Just one of the many deleted scenes from "Titanic."

Honestly, that's all I really have to say about Living Quarters. It does not do anything outstanding but does not do anything wretched either; as a result, we have a level that feels pretty much like an afterthought without really managing to completely turn me off. As it stands, Living Quarters both suffers from being kind of boring AND for being the third level in a set of four similar levels, so this combination really turns it into one of the most pointless levels of the game.

My rating is going to reflect these sentiments - Living Quarters is just OK, and nothing more or less. But in a game as great as Tomb Raider II, being "just OK" really does not cut it...

Rating - 6.5/10

Current Rankings:
1. 40 Fathoms (9.5/10)
2. The Great Wall (9/10)
3. Wreck of the Maria Doria (8.5/10)
4. The Opera House (8.5/10)
5. Bartoli's Hideout (8/10)
6. Venice (7/10)
7. Living Quarters (6.5/10)
8. Diving Area (5/10)
9. Offshore Rig (3/10)
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 16:41   #120
peeves
Legend

Well technically living quarters is a fifth level from a set.