Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 07-12-18, 19:16   #1
Helegad

Default PlayStation version issues

I'm in a situation for the foreseeable future where a lot of my gaming will be done through my PSP. To accommodate this, I'm taking advantage of POPS and doing custom ROMs to get PlayStation games running at their best. I know that the PlayStation versions of Tomb Raider through Chronicles have a few small niggles that I want to repair if possible. I will be using NTSC-UC versions as a base due to PAL releases usually being a conversion, sometimes with additional issues. Please help me add to and refine this list so I can organize fixes where possible.

Tomb Raider

- All regions, all versions: Last secret defined as first, so having all three secrets counted in end-level statistics is impossible.
- PAL: Game runs 17% slower.
- Seven available NTSC-UC versions. v1.1 onwards include Eidos logo. v1.2 onwards include demos. v1.1 onwards has modified LEVEL10A (Natla's Mines), although what was changed is unknown.

Tomb Raider II

- NTSC-UC: All wetsuit levels have boots SFX instead of barefoot SFX.
- Four available NTSC-UC versions. v1.1 onwards include demos. No changes to level data between versions.

Tomb Raider III

- To do: Force unlimited saves.
- Three available NTSC-UC versions. v1.1 onwards include demos. v1.1 onwards level files are slightly different in size compared to v1.0.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

- No issues that I am aware of.
- Two available NTSC-UC versions. v1.1 has revisions, including secret Uzis pickup in The Tomb of Seth, Set boss fight music delayed until spawn, and the ability to load a game from the Game Over screen.

Tomb Raider: Chronicles

- To do: Restore Jean-Yves FMVs.
- No significant difference between PAL and NTSC versions.
- Any fixes for Red Alert bugs yet?

Last edited by Helegad; 21-12-18 at 15:18.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 21:36   #2
Greatest TR

If I remember correctly, PS1 Tomb Raider 3 German version has a slightly higher resolution output image for gameplay. Also Japan Version For TR1 has an extra room. There is barefoot all European version in the game.
Whether this is useful for you or not.

EDIT I just remember

The Japanese version of Living Quarters is missing a movable block

The English version of Cistern level missing secrete room ( Sega Saturn)

The Handstand is missing in all region on Sega Saturn and European version has the unfinished level more like a beta stage on the first level. NTSC is more complete in the first level.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 08-12-18 at 11:38.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 21:40   #3
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
If I remember correctly, PS1 Tomb Raider 3 German version has a slightly higher resolution output image. Also Japan Version For TR1 has an extra room.

Whether this is useful for you or not.
Ooohh, do you know which level the extra room is in?
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 21:50   #4
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Ooohh, do you know which level the extra room is in?
The extra room in the Tomb of Qualopec

Last edited by tlr online; 07-12-18 at 21:52. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 23:28   #5
Kirishima

I know for Last Revelations, the difference included item placements, and how the music is triggered in the final level, Temple of Horus (I think that's its name). In my copy, you can't get the uzi in the first level where as in my friends copy that a played long before you could. In my copy, the boss music for set was triggered at the start of the level where as in my friend's, it was when Set was spawned after that fmv (I don't know if they're 2 different levels).
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 00:55   #6
zackboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
- PAL version missing barefoot walking SFX
Really? I have barefoot sfx in my PAL/french version.
zackboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 02:09   #7
_Seth

I believe it's the NTSC version missing the barefoot sound (also missing in PC). I've always known the PAL PS1 version to be the only platform and region to include it (bar The Deck which reverts to the shoe sound).
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 00:35   #8
Helegad

Thanks so much for the info so far guys I'm not so worried about differences in NTSC-JP versions as there are a lot of them, and while some are improvements, others are a total cop out. I wouldn't mind playing all the JP versions one day, but they were revised by Square, not Core, so I don't count them as being official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
I know for Last Revelations, the difference included item placements, and how the music is triggered in the final level, Temple of Horus (I think that's its name). In my copy, you can't get the uzi in the first level where as in my friends copy that a played long before you could. In my copy, the boss music for set was triggered at the start of the level where as in my friend's, it was when Set was spawned after that fmv (I don't know if they're 2 different levels).
Could you please confirm what region your game is? NTSC-UC or PAL? This is exactly the sort of thing I'm taking notes on. It sounds like your friend's copy was slightly revised to Core's liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I believe it's the NTSC version missing the barefoot sound (also missing in PC). I've always known the PAL PS1 version to be the only platform and region to include it (bar The Deck which reverts to the shoe sound).
My bad, I got mixed up there. Thanks
Old 09-12-18, 01:12   #9
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by helegad View Post
could you please confirm what region your game is? Ntsc-uc or pal?
usa ntsc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
- Two available versions. v1.1 could possibly have revisions, including removed Uzis from first level, and Set music trigger delayed until spawn.
To clarify, my friend's copy had both the early uzi's and the delayed Set music trigger. Mine had the early uzi's removed and music triggered at the start of the level until Set was spawned after the fmv.

Last edited by Kirishima; 09-12-18 at 01:17.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 03:58   #10
Helegad

Cool, I've edited that line. Thanks for clarifying