Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 11-05-19, 00:42   #721
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Yes they always had this ability because they had to make the games easier for the japanese market.
I always thought it was the opposite-- Japanese games are made harder than european/U.S. copies. But I guess it depends on the game.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 04:14   #722
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
I always thought it was the opposite-- Japanese games are made harder than european/U.S. copies. But I guess it depends on the game.
Check 99% of the Japanese localisation of old PSX games. They're all easier. Heck Tomb Raiders had double powered weapons snd more jtems/less enemies.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 14:47   #723
Girafarig32

It's just curious to me why they dumbed down tomb raider since some other franchises in Japan are much harder than their localized counterpart.
Old 11-05-19, 15:15   #724
Deathly Karma

Quote:
It's just curious to me why they dumbed down tomb raider since some other franchises in Japan are much harder than their localized counterpart.
A lot of games were made easier in Japan though not harder?
Deathly Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 16:45   #725
Woops

Quote:
Just gonna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Check 99% of the Japanese localisation of old PSX games. They're all easier.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 03:08   #726
Girafarig32

There's no need to requote yourself. I have two working eyes that can read. I'm referring to other game franchises that seemed to be harder in Japan. For one example, early Pokemon games were a lot harder in Japan and were made easier in the U.S.
Old 14-05-19, 13:05   #727
Dustie

Probably because the Japanese like Pokemon and Mario more than games like Tomb Raider. You're right that many Japanese games are actually harder by comparison, but I think making the western games easier was an attempt to increase appeal and lure more buyers, considering western titles weren't as popular there as home-brew ones.

As for editing the games, I don't think that was the case? I believe they were edited in-studio according to instructions. Though maybe there was some programming cooperation at some point considering the Japanese localization which isn't as straight-forward as it is with European languages.

Wasn't the Japanese version of AoD released later? I can't find an exact date...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 13:40   #728
Ruu11

^ Japanese AoD was released in October 2003, that's why (I guess) they could fix some things
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 14:18   #729
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
^ Japanese AoD was released in October 2003, that's why (I guess) they could fix some things
WHAT?! The Japanese version of the game was RELEASED IN OCTOBER 2003?! And was AOD in collaboration from Core Design to Japan as well before the Tomb Raider franchise was in collaboration from Crystal Dynamics all the way to Eidos Montreal?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 17:49   #730
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
That's what I was thinking
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote