Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 17-05-19, 05:34   #71
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
I'm in no way saying you are wrong, but I am curious what TR opening you feel is worse than that?
Good question
So the intro FMVs before staring a new game...

TR: Explosion that releases a powerful flying something
TR2: Ancient battle with a dragon that ends with a chilling door slam
TR3: Meteor crash + bumbling contemporary dig in Antarctica
TR4: nuthin'
TR5: Lara's funeral and friends chatting in a limo/lead in to the game's concept
TRAoD: Narrated introduction with Lara creeping into Von Croy's apartment
TRL: Lookit how sexy Lara is!!
TRA: TR redux
TRU: -drawing a blank-
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 19:29   #72
Grid21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Imo it is one of the worst openings in video game history.(I even consider MK special forces opening to be better than this due to this that at least that was funny to watch unlike this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHKOFgQAh4

They just wanted to make Lara look like James Bond. If they instead shown some gameplay it would be a much better opening.
Noo! I liked it! It was a fun "James Bond" feel! And it was a clever take on something we're familiar with from 2 different franchises!
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 18:52   #73
Cat Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidowxx View Post
Haven't played the game in many years, thanks for reminding me
I don’t remember the intro. I originally got it for the xBox which I don’t have anymore. However, I think it looks pretty good. Good reminder of the first TR game I was given.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 19:35   #74
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
I don’t remember the intro. I originally got it for the xBox which I don’t have anymore. However, I think it looks pretty good. Good reminder of the first TR game I was given.
Original Xbox actually lacked it due to an error in production from what I heard.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 21:55   #75
CheshireBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Original Xbox actually lacked it due to an error in production from what I heard.
Yeah, they forgot to put it in before sending the game... lol
Xbox players sure must had a TR3 feeling while playing it for the first time haha
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 02:33   #76
tenthavenue

Well tbh I always loved that intro lmao. Idk why it looks cheesy or cringy. I was very young when I played the game though, so nostalgia might be clouding my vision
tenthavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 16:57   #77
Wooxman

I always thought that the intro kinda feels weirdly detached from the rest of the game. It's this weird mixture of concept artworks and scenes from the game. The latter is the weirdest part since this isn't a TV show where it's normal to show scenes from the whole show/season, but it's a single game and you're about to see all of these scenes while playing the game, anyway. The only other game that I know of which shows in-game scenes that prominently in the intro is Halo Anniversary and there it makes sense since it's a remaster and the intro video shows off the difference between the original and the new graphics instead of regular cutscenes or gameplay. Overall the Legend intro gives off kind of a fanmade vibe since it has no original animations that were made specifically for this video. Overall I can't say that it's "bad" per se, just weird and certainly the weakest intro of the whole TR series.

As for the James Bond comparisons: It kinda feels like Crystal tried to copy the James Bond intros, but again: Since the Legend intro consists of concept artworks and scenes from the game, it feels more like the intro of a TV show than a blockbuster movie. The James Bond intros don't consist of scenes that you're about to see anyway (at least the ones that I've seen; I'm not a James Bond fan, so I haven't seen all of them), but they're always made separately.

Perfect Dark Zero did a better job at copying the James Bond intros.

https://youtu.be/-T9mCezRsfw?t=25

It consists mostly of original animations that were made specifically for this video. Also, I think that Joanna Dark isn't animated but an actress. And it has an intro song with lyrics, which is more akin to a James Bond intro than a purely intrumental song, which, once again, feels more like something out of a TV show. In the end there's a few glimpses of gameplay, but the in-game scenes are very brief and in the background.

Last edited by Wooxman; 22-05-19 at 16:59.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 22:07   #78
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Yeah, they forgot to put it in before sending the game... lol
Xbox players sure must had a TR3 feeling while playing it for the first time haha
Nah they had the actual introduction but the pre main menu cinematic action thing was missing.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 23:20   #79
Dustie

I remember it made me both cringe and excited at the same time It was like an intro to a kids TV show and kinda stuck out compared to the rest of the game, I guess they felt the need to make it flashy for some reason... I don't have a problem with it though.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 13:21   #80
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Good question
So the intro FMVs before staring a new game...

TR: Explosion that releases a powerful flying something
TR2: Ancient battle with a dragon that ends with a chilling door slam
TR3: Meteor crash + bumbling contemporary dig in Antarctica
TR4: nuthin'
TR5: Lara's funeral and friends chatting in a limo/lead in to the game's concept
TRAoD: Narrated introduction with Lara creeping into Von Croy's apartment
TRL: Lookit how sexy Lara is!!
TRA: TR redux
TRU: -drawing a blank-
It's been a while, but wasn't TRU the reverse slow motion explosion of the manor leading to the doppelganger in the shadows, followed by the explosion in real time from that position?
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote