www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 17-07-19, 23:03   #861
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
As far as the 21st May is concerned, I think this is the best spot for TR, a Disney live action is always better than a Marvel movie!
And, most important, it would come out before Indiana Jones so there would be no comparison.
(We all know that people follow reviews without thinking, so if everybody says "Indiana jones is way better than Tomb Raider", everyone is going to believe that without watching the movie themselves.)
Depends, just look at all the money Aladdin did, and Lion King most probably will do. But it is a safer bet if it's more in line with Dumbo.

I still think that the if Tomb Raider could "steal" the August spot from Suicide Squad (which could go to this new spot in May or the later spot in October (which could be great for that movie because of the Halloween costume potential)) it would be the best, although that Indiana Jones point is a good one. But it could work on Tomb Raider's favour, if Indiana Jones makes people want to see more adventure movies of the same vein. But lets see how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I feel like if we don't hear news about a director by the end of this year we can say goodbye to a 2021 release. Development, pre-production and scheduling takes a long time.
I'd say to keep an eye on NYCC, since WB is skipping SDCC this year. Could be an interesting event for a more in-depth schedule.
Old 18-07-19, 00:06   #862
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

I think if they make a good movie TBH we don't need to care about Indy comparisons etc, TR reboot came first. Let's just make this good.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 07:40   #863
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I think if they make a good movie TBH we don't need to care about Indy comparisons etc, TR reboot came first. Let's just make this good.
I know, but lately I've noticed that people don't bother about quality, most of the time they look at box office/reviews to judge.

So Tomb Raider made 274M so it's mediocre, Indiana Jones makes more money = it's much superior than tomb raider.
What's more, there were a lot of comparisons between the first movie and Indiana Jones even when there was no new Indiana Jones movie; imagine if they come out in the same period!

I mean, in this specific case I don't really care because I love both series, but it's sad when something is so underrated just because of first reviews.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 09:50   #864
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

WB has shifted the date of Sesame Street from January to June so they now have another new slot open for that date.
Old 21-07-19, 10:14   #865
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

January 2021 might suit best. Marvel have releases in February and early May.
Old 21-07-19, 10:30   #866
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

January boxoffice is always very poor. Summer is the best place to TR movie. August for example.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 11:06   #867
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
January boxoffice is always very poor. Summer is the best place to TR movie. August for example.
But competition is often more fierce during summer.
I think more important than what part of the year it gets released is trying to find a nice spot where it avoids going head to head with another film that competes for the same target audience.
Old 21-07-19, 11:50   #868
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

It depends. August for example is a calm month where the releases are usually softer and usually triumph movies that nobody expected (Megalodon, hello). Big Studios usually release their big movies in: March-July.

On the other hand, January is a very, very bad month. It's the month where studios release movies that nobody wants to see ... and the box-office are usually very poor

January: Month of the movies in which the studio does not believe. Low boxoffice. Month of the award films.
February: Month of the award films
March-July: Big Blockbusters
August: Medium Blockbusters (weaker)
September: similar to January.
October: Medium Blockbusters (weaker)
November-December: Big Blockbusters

It does not matter if there is no competition in the boxoffice if it is a month in which the public does not go to the cinema. For example, the Cradle of Life, was a "flop" but was released in August and made more than 60M in the USA. Summer movies and adventure movies are friends. TR in August even if debuted in 3 position the box-office could be higher than if it opens in January.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 21-07-19 at 12:04.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 12:50   #869
Portugalraider
Professor

Okay, considering Marvel's announced releases, I was wrong and Shang-Chi will be the February 2021 movie, not Black Panther. But still, I don't want Tomb Raider anywhere near it. I think it's safe to assume we could kiss the Chinese BO bye bye if it was the case.

May 2021 has Doctor Strange 2. It would be a bit better I think, but still, it's Marvel. And there's a live action Disney movie at the same time as well.

Again, if WB could either anticipate or delay The Suicide Squad and let Tomb Raider have its August spot it would be the best. January is a bit like Pinky said: its for movies no one wants to see. It could work, if the movie had excellent reviews and everyone started getting curious, but other than that, it wouldn't be that good for the movie. It's also a bit too early IMO.
Old 21-07-19, 13:26   #870
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

They could aim for September/October. Warner Bros is pretty much dominating Halloween time as they’re the masters of horror films at the moment.

Give the film a dark enough tone and whatnot and it could appeal to people wanting a dark adventure film with scary locations. Deep ancient Aztec tombs would be great. Make a film that captures the tone of Shadow and Rise’s reveal teaser CG trailers