Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 15-09-19, 10:13   #6341
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
The whole project started with people at Core putting a Lara model into Free Running and realising that Free Running's controls would work well for a Tomb Raider game and a lot of the moves seen in the trailers look very similar to Free Running. So while you're correct that them using the same engine doesn't mean that the controls would've been similar, I think in this case they actually would have been.
I think both of you are right actually. I don't know if you guys still remember the articles at Planet Lara, but there was that one interview with Richard Morton where he commented how the camera system worked:
Quote:
The camera and control system from Free Running was adapted for 10th Anniversary, it was quite a lazy camera system that never made sudden movements, the biggest breakthrough came when we forced Lara to rotate around the camera when the player pushed left or right on the controller, this was integral to Free Running and meant the player never had to make any awkward adjustment on the controller.
So in that case I believe they used the original control system of Free Running and then adjusted it for Tomb Raider. The camera would have been free only when Lara was standing still, but would immediately adjust to Lara's back whenever she'd move. Since the game was more platforming oriented rather than skill-focused like Free Running, I bet a lot of the additional button combinations while running were removed from TRAE, making it a bit easier. According to the videos combat mode was completely the same as in TR1-5, meaning the camera would automatically lock on the enemies and release the moment Lara was not facing the targets. Seems like they focused on making the AI more clever rather than redesigning the original combat system.

Last edited by Caesum; 15-09-19 at 10:15.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 10:52   #6342
_Seth

Quote:
Nothing is explicitly confirmed but based on the hints that have been given, it seems like ashka has been able to get hold of the unfinished game. It's just that, presumably, it's in a state where it wouldn't be easily playable for your average Joe (maybe it requires a PSP dev kit or emulator or sth) so there's some work needed to get it into a state where it can be released. That work will have to wait a bit, though, since ashka is currently busy with TRDS.
I really hope this comes about at some point. I'm happy to wait if it does eventually result.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 13:22   #6343
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I really hope this comes about at some point. I'm happy to wait if it does eventually result.
Same, I'm very interested to see how it plays and looks.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 16:25   #6344
Caesum

Quote:
Nothing is explicitly confirmed but based on the hints that have been given, it seems like ashka has been able to get hold of the unfinished game. It's just that, presumably, it's in a state where it wouldn't be easily playable for your average Joe (maybe it requires a PSP dev kit or emulator or sth) so there's some work needed to get it into a state where it can be released. That work will have to wait a bit, though, since ashka is currently busy with TRDS.
Not sure if this was the case back in 2006 too, but some companies send builds of their games to testers as early as prototype so the game can be tested constantly. This approach is especially common when developers have external company that is responsible for quality assurance (eg. Lionbridge, Testronics or QLOC). Maybe there is a debug build made for testers and if so then that would give the most complete game alongside with debug commands so you could manually enable access to some parts of the game and/or functionality.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 17:09   #6345
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Not sure if this was the case back in 2006 too, but some companies send builds of their games to testers as early as prototype so the game can be tested constantly. This approach is especially common when developers have external company that is responsible for quality assurance (eg. Lionbridge, Testronics or QLOC). Maybe there is a debug build made for testers and if so then that would give the most complete game alongside with debug commands so you could manually enable access to some parts of the game and/or functionality.
I doubt that that's where he got it from but we shouldn't speculate too much about the source, seeing as whoever gave it to him probably wasn't technically allowed to do that and we don't want anyone to get in trouble for this.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 03:14   #6346
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Eidos Interactive have cancelled this version because it was suggested by the staff that Eidos did not want to let outside developers to handle the franchise as much as Eidos have created more than enough drama from the end of the previous period by rushing AOD right out the door before Core Design was really going to get it properly finished for its release.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 11:32   #6347
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
Eidos Interactive have cancelled this version because it was suggested by the staff that Eidos did not want to let outside developers to handle the franchise as much as Eidos have created more than enough drama from the end of the previous period by rushing AOD right out the door before Core Design was really going to get it properly finished for its release.
Um, we've known this since 2006.
Old 16-10-19, 11:41   #6348
ashka

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Um, we've known this since 2006.
actually what he wrote is factually incorrect.
Full story here:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...f-core-design/
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 12:47   #6349
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashka View Post
actually what he wrote is factually incorrect.
Full story here:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...f-core-design/
Hey Ash!! I've absolutely read about this before. And everything from this link is VERY INTERESTINGLY FASCINATING for me to learn all of that.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 20:59   #6350
_Seth

One thing that's always confused me, how come TRAE used the exact same texture from Legend's backpack? Core and CD surely weren't sharing assets.