Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-01-20, 22:08   #391
paulojr_mam

I don't understand, reboot fans seemed to have chosen a random post to begin an argument and now are all coming here to argue, they must have agreed to this with each other before coming here, otherwise it's too much of a coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I didn't touch 2013 for years and only gave it a chance after a long while, I didn't like it, tried Rise since everyone claimed it was much more like the classics (Which it wasn't that much and I'm pretty sure it repeated with Shadow.), only enjoyed Blood Ties (which wasn't even made by Crystal) and didn't bother finishing the main story or even attempting any of the non-blood ties DLC, including the zombies mode that came with blood ties.
This post is not a declaration of war, and yet reboot fans seemed to have taken it as one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Meanwhile, many more touched 2013 than anyone ever touched classic TR, so I don't think you want to go with that completely senseless logic
And it all started with this post that seems to have completely misunderstood Samz post and made a strawman out of it.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:09   #392
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
TR 2 had lots of puzzles from easy puzzles to hard puzzles.

Hard puzzles of TR 2 were:
-Learning some level layouts
Not a puzzle, but I agree the levels in TR2 are harder to learn the layout of than TR13z

Quote:
-That ladder jump near the end of the game.(I spent 1-2 hours there to figure out how to do it since tutorial never explained how to do it)
That’s not a puzzle either, that’s just a jump. But I know exactly the one you’re talking about and yes it was harder. The platforming in the original was definitely harder. Some people prefer, some people don’t. I definitely don’t. But I respect your opinion.

Quote:
-Finding your way in some levels.
You already mentioned learning the level layouts lol c’mon now. Don’t artificially lengthen your list

Quote:
-That clock puzzle in the second level also took me some time to figure it out.(On how to reach the door)
Again, that’s less a puzzle and more ‘learning the level layout’ kinda thing.

Quote:
-Some of the booby traps were kinda hard and booby traps in those games were like puzzles.
I can agree that the traps are harder than any of the reboot game traps, but I strongly disagree that they’d be considered puzzles.

Quote:
-Finding all artifacts in a level can be considered hard puzzles as well.
No I don’t consider those puzzles at all. That’s just collectibles placed in obscure locations.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:10   #393
MissJodieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I elaborated on it already, you refuse to listen. Insult? Excuse me, but I didn't call Miss Jodie a 5 year old. No that was from her to me. I'm the one being insulted here. Now if your finished with 5 sec of attention then leave it alone.
I didn‘t call you a 5 year old, I only compared you to one. That‘s a big difference. I didn‘t insult you nor did I call you names. I really don‘t understand where you got that from.
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:11   #394
trfan16

How did this topic get so far off track?

@GabrielCroft - I like your original post and agree with you a lot of your points. I love the Reboot games, but the way they developed Lara over the 3 game span was underwhelming and disappointing. I think TR2013 ended on a high note with Lara donning her Dual Pistols. Unfortunately, they decided to span the origin story over 3 games when it really wasn't necessary. And bring her family drama into the mix as well. Does Rise or Shadow ever explain why she doesn't use her Dual Pistols after Yamatai? Like you stated in your original post, I don't necessarily want them to ditch the Reboot storyline. Just make Lara closer to Classic Lara along with fine tuning the gameplay. I wish they could retcon some of the events after TR2013, but I think we're too far in for that to happen.

Long story short, you can add my signature to the list.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:12   #395
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I love it when Rebooters want to play numbers whenever they are losing a classic vs reboot argument. It's like the only thing they have which says something. If all the reboot has is numbers then it lacks soul, naturally.
Considering the budget for TR1 vs the reboot is kind of important. The reboot had a much larger budget than TR1 and they sold roughly the same, and there's a 19+ years difference. So when you take that into consideration the sales of the reboot isn't impressive at all. Square Enix also said they were disappointed by the sales of the reboot because it was expected to sell way more. The reboot had a much larger production than TR1 and the reboot trilogy has under performed at every turn, meanwhile the classics didn't because they were much smaller productions and therefore it's sales were much more impressive.

Crystal Dynamics hasn't been able to really make a smash hit like the classics were in it's time. But "oh my god, the reboot sold more than the classics"... but with a 100 million dollar budget vs 1 million (if even that) or whatever, lmao. That's still terrible when they should have sold a lot more with all the advantages it had. Compare the reboot trilogy to the current competition (and not old 90's games) and they're still a massive flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
It's quite ironic, that usual group of people come in here to whine about others being rude/nasty/childish/toxic, in a thread that they dislike and themselves are the people who being nasty and the likes.

This thread isn't about reboot vs classic. It is about people who support the idea of having the classic games' traits (or some of it) back.
They are hypocritical and unhinged. They don't get that this wasn't a reboot vs classics thread, but why pass up a chance to be stupid. And omg, your signature.

Last edited by Legends; 19-01-20 at 22:13.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:13   #396
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
I didn‘t call you a 5 year old, I only compared you to one. That‘s a big difference. I didn‘t insult you nor did I call you names. I really don‘t understand where you got that from.
That's exactly what you did, compare me to one is the same thing as calling me one. Why don't you own up to your Pat in this? On wait, you didn't do it before so I shouldn't be surprised that you won't own up to anything now.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:14   #397
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Why are reboot fans coming here to destroy this thread? That said, classic fans have been spilling a lot of tea here! Such well-said things!
Yeah. Some rotten, unpalatable tea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
TR 2 had lots of puzzles from easy puzzles to hard puzzles.

Hard puzzles of TR 2 were:
-Learning some level layouts
-That ladder jump near the end of the game.(I spent 1-2 hours there to figure out how to do it since tutorial never explained how to do it)
-Finding your way in some levels.(Finding where you have overlooked.)

-That clock puzzle in the second level also took me some time to figure it out.(On how to reach the door)
-Some of the booby traps were kinda hard and booby traps in those games were like puzzles.

-Finding all artifacts in a level can be considered hard puzzles as well.
That’s just bad game design. So y’all literally want to be stuck in a game for eternity. Honestly not me as a Classic fan...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:14   #398
paulojr_mam

This is such an artificial conversation. It's just semantics. Everyone here knows what people refer to when they mention "puzzles". It's levels-as-puzzles that you have to figure out. Although TRIV and AoD had actual puzzles. To me it seems that some people are using the word "puzzles" just to create an argument, acting like internet trolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
That’s just bad game design. So y’all literally want to be stuck in a game for eternity. Honestly not me as a Classic fan...
Other than the tutorial thing, how is any of that bad game design, exactly?
And being stuck in a game can be fun, because you feel a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment when you find the correct way to procceed.
Also, I suppose the tea is bitter to people that can't handle good reasoning.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 19-01-20 at 22:26.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:14   #399
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Considering the budget for TR1 vs the reboot is kind of important. The reboot had a much larger budget than TR1 and they sold roughly the same, and there's a 19+ years difference. So when you take that into consideration the sales of the reboot isn't impressive at all. Square Enix also said they were disappointed by the sales of the reboot because it was expected to sell way more. The reboot had a much larger production than TR1 and the reboot trilogy has under performed at every turn, meanwhile the classics didn't because they were much smaller productions and therefore it's sales were much more impressive.

Crystal Dynamics hasn't been able to really make a smash hit like the classics were in it's time. But "oh my god, the reboot sold more than the classics"... but with a 100 million dollar budget vs 1 million (if even that) or whatever, lmao. That's still terrible when they should have sold a lot more with all the advantages it had. Compare the reboot trilogy to the current competition (and not old 90's games) and they're still a massive flop.

They are hypocritical and unhinged. They don't get that this wasn't a reboot vs classics thread, but why pass up a chance to be stupid. And omg, your signature.
Nooooooo I miss the nice blue font
It took me forever to get used to it and now you change it to pink

That’s it. I’m going to open a petition to bring back Legends posts to what they used to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
This is such an artificial conversation. It's just semantics. Everyone here knows what people refer to when they mention "puzzles". It's levels-as-puzzles that you have to figure out. Although TRIV and AoD had actual puzzles. To me it seems that some people are using the word "puzzles" just to create an argument, acting like internet trolls.
I didn’t argue at all. We weren’t talking about TRIV or AOD (my favorite game in the series), we were talking about TR2. I also agreed with several of the points they brought up, and whenever I disagreed, I was respectful.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 19-01-20 at 22:16.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 22:16   #400
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
There are many who did not even touch 2013 because they knew clearly by the looks of it that is was not accurate to Lara Croft. I mean, that was the intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Meanwhile, many more touched 2013 than anyone ever touched classic TR, so I don't think you want to go with that completely senseless logic
Yes, TR2013 was a great commercial and critical success, but what does that have to do with what larafan25 said? They never implied the game flopped.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote