Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 06-06-20, 16:06   #1
McCheaterson

Question A disagreement between Father and Son

So basically, my Dad grew up with Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider 2 was his favourite game. He got me to play (his son) and it became a bonding thing. (Btw I wish modern day gamers would go back and give this a shot).

Anyway, so I was doing doing the second level (Venice) and he was watching, saying how hard it would be for me to complete the end of this level (he was referring to the timed boat run). I used one of the two boats to destroy the mines blocking the way, and took the other boat up that ramp thing (where the jade dragon was ) and I did the level and the time trial. He was lost for words. My Dad said he didn’t know that the boat could go up the ramp, and he also didn’t know that you could use the other boat to blow up the mines.

He swears that it took him 3 weeks of hard work to do the timed run by not taking the ramp shortcut and swimming under the mines at the end. He says he left the original Venice boat at the start of the level, therefore meaning he had to detonate the mines on his attempt at the timed run. He 100% swears that this took him so many hours of practice to get the corners just right, to time the jump out of the boat to detonate the mines just right. He swears on his life that as he swam under the mines to the end, that the end doors closed right as he went through them and pushed him through.

So pretty much, my question is can this be done. He swears 100% that his story is true, and that he tried hundreds of times to do this run. When I tried this challenge myself I got no where near it.

So if some really skilled player looking for a challenge could attempt this and get back to me, it would be much appreciated and prove if I can rely on my Dads memory.

Thanks for reading. I know it is a lot to take in

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GLITCH WHERE YOU SWIM UNDER THE DOOR AND CAN DO THE RUN WITH NO TIME LIMIT. My Dad could hear the chimes while he was doing the run, and also claims that the doors you go through at the end of the level started closing just as he got to them and they pushed him through.

WHY DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM ASKING. I AM ASKING IF THE ROUTE MY DAD TOOK IS POSSIBLE, NOT THAT YOU CAN GLITCH THE RUN BECAUSE HE DIDNT DO THAY.

Last edited by McCheaterson; 06-06-20 at 22:35. Reason: Additional information
McCheaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 16:21   #2
SLAYER

I remember doing this with one boat. you jump before it reaches the mines, the boat triggers the mines, and you swim to the end.

I bet speed running videos show this if you look for them

Edit: here you go: https://youtu.be/5xBFjw7Si_s?t=400

Last edited by SLAYER; 06-06-20 at 16:26.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 16:21   #3
Tomb Raidering

The timer doesn’t start if you exit via swimming underneath the small door, allowing you to casually swim to the big doors without any boat.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 16:32   #4
McCheaterson

I know about the swimming under the door glitch, but this has nothing to do with it. He didn’t take is because he could hear the chimes you hear as you do the run, and because he claims that the end doors closed and pushed him through just as he got to the end.
Old 06-06-20, 16:45   #5
McCheaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
I remember doing this with one boat. you jump before it reaches the mines, the boat triggers the mines, and you swim to the end.

I bet speed running videos show this if you look for them

Edit: here you go: https://youtu.be/5xBFjw7Si_s?t=400
Actually no Speed running videos show the specific type of timed run I told you about. If you read my post, you should know that he did not swim under the door to the boathouse thing. Speed runners always swim under the door to get the quickest times.
Old 06-06-20, 17:18   #6
SLAYER

I learned about this door glitch on this thread, and I remember doing it with one boat. Now whether I used the ramp or not is something I'm not sure of. I probably did.

Edit: that youtube video is misleading. So much for a "glitchless" speed run

Last edited by SLAYER; 06-06-20 at 17:23.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 20:31   #7
laravision

While some glitches are arbitrary, the Tomb Raider speedrunning community does not consider any glitches to have been used throughout the Venice level during that speedrun video, which, I might add, is quite outdated.

It's pretty much just developer oversight with the way the triggers are programmed for the final door. In fact, you don't even need to press the button for the door to open. All you need to do is swim over a trigger tile that's situated a few tiles within the room. This will open the final door minus the timer.

If you drive the boat into the room with the button, hit the trigger tile (not the button), then proceed over the small ramp, the timer will start, but without the chimes. At this point, you can try to reach the final door by taking the longer route, however it's only possible if you have already destroyed the mines with the other boat, OR you perform a "pixel" perfect drive over the mines which prevents them from exploding: the game engine checks whether a boat item is within a circle of 511 units in the xz plane around the mine, and the mines are located 1024 units from each other. This precision drive is the only way to make it in time should you choose to take the longer route with the timer active. See video:

So in conclusion, McCheaterson's Dad either managed to do the "pixel" perfect drive over the mines, or he had already destroyed the mines with the other boat beforehand.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 22:31   #8
McCheaterson

[
If you drive the boat into the room with the button, hit the trigger tile (not the button), then proceed over the small ramp, the timer will start, but without the chimes.
So in conclusion, McCheaterson's Dad either managed to do the "pixel" perfect drive over the mines, or he had already destroyed the mines with the other boat beforehand.[/QUOTE]

My dad heard the chimes. The route he took was: pressed the button. Got in the boat and got out of the boat house. He turned left, then turned right. Then right again, and a quick left. Then he turned right (the mines should be in front of you, and unexploded) he drove the boat as close to the mines as he could and got out just before. The boat exploded. He swam to the end and the doors closed just as he got to them but they pushed him through.

Can you tell me if that’s possible please

Last edited by McCheaterson; 06-06-20 at 22:33.
Old 06-06-20, 23:15   #9
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCheaterson View Post
My dad heard the chimes. The route he took was: pressed the button. Got in the boat and got out of the boat house. He turned left, then turned right. Then right again, and a quick left. Then he turned right (the mines should be in front of you, and unexploded) he drove the boat as close to the mines as he could and got out just before. The boat exploded. He swam to the end and the doors closed just as he got to them but they pushed him through.

Can you tell me if that’s possible please
Like I said, it is not possible to take that longer route without either first exploding the mines beforehand, or performing the precision drive over the active mines during the timed run, which is shown in the video I posted. If the timer is active, there simply isn't enough time to jump out of the boat to explode the mines and make it through the doors before they close.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 02:12   #10
McCheaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Like I said, it is not possible to take that longer route without either first exploding the mines beforehand, or performing the precision drive over the active mines during the timed run, which is shown in the video I posted. If the timer is active, there simply isn't enough time to jump out of the boat to explode the mines and make it through the doors before they close.
So turns out he did take the ramp shortcut, but everything else is the same. Check the next thread for more details, and watch the video to see how close the ending is with the doors.

Last edited by McCheaterson; 07-06-20 at 09:50.