Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 30-06-20, 02:36   #11
Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
I thought it was very player friendly tbh. The game didn't treat me like an idiot and still offered a great challenge. And that is something many custom levels fail to balance between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Don't touch it. Really. Don't. It's absolutely amazing as is. People aren't used to the TR1 engine - this is why most "lostness" is happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
I wouldn't change a single thing gameplay wise. It is perfect to me.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your support Maybe I won't change all of them, but some minor details could be fixed without affecting the gameplay, in fact it could improove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
I'm curious about how will you avoid the music re-triggering
Boulders many... boulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
Although the details are very small they can make a difference. Some players prefer small changes, others consider that there is nothing more to fix, that is subjective.

If I think that fixing, which are imperfections themselves, is fine. i.e: the trigger once soundtrack, the annoying cutscene, that does warrant a package update.
Agree It isn't about keeping every player happy (which is impossible), but a few little things one feels could've been done better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
just do like with beyond the scion, normal + easy )
That thought cross my mind I guess it would depend on how many changes there will be, to justify a separate package.
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 13:19   #12
Topixtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Boulders many... boulders.
Pure genious.
Topixtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 13:36   #13
SrDanielPonces

ahahah I actually also thought of using rollingballs when I read about you wanting to one shot the audio triggers

It's very nice of you, as a builder, to try to improve the experience of your work to the fans. Makes me admire you even more. Great job!
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 02:41   #14
AgentXP

Wanted to say how much I enjoyed this levelset, and that I very much hope there will be a sequel! I am excited whenever you release a new level.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to make the experience enjoyable for players, its so hard to find a balance between challenging and fun. Out of the things you mentioned, I found the underwater switch puzzle and the lightning tough, but I very much enjoyed the game overall. Especially love the huge ship
AgentXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 03:40   #15
Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
ahahah I actually also thought of using rollingballs when I read about you wanting to one shot the audio triggers

It's very nice of you, as a builder, to try to improve the experience of your work to the fans. Makes me admire you even more. Great job!
Thanks SrDaniel I admire your work as well, especially those amazing custom animations you make!

It's amazing how much a boulder trigger can enhance another trigger's effects. You can create a series of cameras, music tracks, objects, etc. activating after a certain time, or build a chain reaction. After all, "one man's trap is another man's tool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXP View Post
Wanted to say how much I enjoyed this levelset, and that I very much hope there will be a sequel! I am excited whenever you release a new level.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to make the experience enjoyable for players, its so hard to find a balance between challenging and fun. Out of the things you mentioned, I found the underwater switch puzzle and the lightning tough, but I very much enjoyed the game overall. Especially love the huge ship
Hi AgentXP I'm glad you enjoyed it! I watch your full playthrough the other day on twitch, it was very fun. On the UW lever puzzle I was like: Oh noo, don't pull them all! So yeah, that part will receive some improovements
Old 01-07-20, 19:12   #16
Danath

Wink

Quote:
I know harsh gameplay can ruin the experience, and that's not something I want, so I've decided to revise a few things that I saw players struggling with, in order to make it more “player friendly”
Thank you for considering it.
I will give my opinion on the things you mentioned. I don't know if it's much help since i am also a builder and can be biased from that, but here we go.

1- The wall crack on the beginning: I don't think that's difficult since i found quite obvious that you can't jump anywhere from the bridge by taking the time to inspect the scenario a bit.

2- The underwater room could be changed, but as point 1, if you take the time to inspect the scenario a bit you will find the clue. Tomb Raider is about exploration after all.
With that said, i'm also guilty of trying to use every lever first.

3- The secret in the ship i totally agree should be changed, i found the secret first and thought there was nothing else on that place, and was stuck real good afterwards. Secrets should be harder to find than the main objectives...

4- The water trap: it's a tricky subject, if you save inside there you can be stuck for good. Maybe make a secondary exit route?

5- The boulder jump: i found it very irritating because of the delayed jump, maybe you could raise the floor from where you have to jump a bit so you don't have to be as accurate.

6- Lightning balls: Those are my nemesis in TR1. But it's just a matter of timing your jumps carefully, not your fault that the trap is tricky. Honestly thought it was an awesome idea to have those platform jumps above water with that trap.
Even if you take damage, that's what you have medikits for, isn't it?

7- The fragments: another tricky thing, as they have a big collision. I'm considering if i should use them in my level or not for that same reason. Maybe trigger them sooner so you can react? It's difficult.

8- The annoying jump: yes, it's quite annoying. A lowered wall on the other side would help a lot.

9- The slamming doors shouldn't be changed in my opinion.

Quote:
Sometimes is hard to find the right balance for a challenging gameplay, and some of this issues didn't come up during beta testing.
Yep, i am trying to make challenging levels but i may have some things that are excessive. A bit scared for the testing phase in my game.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 01:32   #17
Feder

Thanks for your opinion Danath, as a builder, it is of much help indeed

Ok, all things considered, I fixed almost everything on the list!

1) The wall crack is (slightly) more visible, which means now it's deffinitely harder to miss.

2) The underwater lever puzzle now has a more visible clue, and I actually like it better now

3) The secret and the cog had been exchanged, and a little hint has been placed to avoid any bypassing.

4) The water trap had to stay, because I couldn't think of a different way to set it without changing the whole idea but, now it gives you more time to swim out of there, and plays a VERY suggestive soundtrack as a warning that you should get out fast.

5) The boulder race now can be done without a pixel perfect jump.

6) The lighting balls are the only thing I didn't change.

7) The fragments are now visible and a little bit easier to avoid.

8) The annoying jump on level 4 is now a piece of cake.

9) The slamming doors at the end of the level stayed in its place, but now it triggers sooner so you can see them on time and avoid getting slammed. Also I gave some extra seconds to the boulders

10) Music triggers are all one shot now!

11) No more "Natla is alive!" cutscene.

The ATI version is ready to be uploaded, but the DOSBOX version is giving me a headache (as usual). I can't recall exactly how I built the .bin/.cue files last time, because now I compile them and the game doesn't start I don't have much available time these days, so I'm not sure when could I figure it out. For now, the previous DOSBOX version will have to stay as it is.
Old 06-07-20, 15:12   #18
AgentXP

Does the Natla scene being taken out mean there is no sequel?
AgentXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 17:29   #19
Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXP View Post
Does the Natla scene being taken out mean there is no sequel?
I wasn't planning on a sequel actually

That final cut was something I've been force to put because the statistics of level 4 wouldn't show up if there wasn't a cut. So I replace the default Larson's cut by Natla's, because at least, it would me more fitting and could left a sort of open ending. Still, it was a little confusing, you just killed Natla and destroy the Scion and then she appears on a strange empty room placing it again? Didn't look so good

Now I found a way to show the statistics without having a cut, so the ending is not open anymore. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a sequel
Old 06-07-20, 18:30   #20
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion Danath, as a builder, it is of much help indeed

Ok, all things considered, I fixed almost everything on the list!
I'm glad to help.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the game!
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote