Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 18-10-20, 17:55   #61
Blackmoor

I occasionally buy games and play them for an hour or a few hours and then never go back to them again.

Because of this thread, I was thinking what it was that turned me off for some of these.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2. The story and characters didn't grip me, and then I had to do something where I think a pack of wolves were chasing me and what I had to do felt onerous or hard.
2. God of War. I liked the world and was becoming invested in the characters and the game mechanics, and then we had to fight this little man who should have been insignificant but turned out to be boss-level and I tried a bit and then thought I'd retry another day and never did, lol.
3. Until Dawn. I've tried to get into this two times. It seems on the surface exactly my kind of thing, a bunch of young adults living out a choice based horror story. But each time I started off enthusiastic and then after listening to them talk to each other, my interest lessened and lessened. I think the characters weren't interesting enough.
4. Witcher 3. I've tried this a couple of times too and get so far and then give up. The lead character I'm not overly fond of although having watched the series on netflix, I'm more interested now. I think I don't like the vibe of it and then I sense that there's lot of learning to do with the magic and stuff, it feels like it a complex world that would require a lot of investing in.

Anyway, the conclusions I've drawn from this is 2 main things put me off games, especially when they hit together in the same game:

1. The characters or stories don't grip in some way
2. Massive difficulty spikes or a sense of having to work at something in an onerous way

If I really like the characters / stories being set up (or the world-building like in games like Bloodborne, Dark Souls) then I will pesevere with difficulty spikes and onerous systems, but the less I'm gripped, the less I'll carry on if confronted with something like that.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 23:12   #62
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I occasionally buy games and play them for an hour or a few hours and then never go back to them again.

Because of this thread, I was thinking what it was that turned me off for some of these.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2. The story and characters didn't grip me, and then I had to do something where I think a pack of wolves were chasing me and what I had to do felt onerous or hard.
That's a darn shame, the characters get really interesting a couple hours in! But if you're not crazy about the gameplay, chances are you won't warm up to it.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 10:52   #63
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
That's a darn shame, the characters get really interesting a couple hours in! But if you're not crazy about the gameplay, chances are you won't warm up to it.
I keep thinking I'll give it another go so maybe I will and then really get into it.

When I first played TLOU1 I got bored about an hour in and put it down and didn't play it for over a year. Now it's one of my most favourite games of all time. The same could happen with RDR2, if I ever go back to it.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 01:43   #64
DragonSlayer

This isn't something that annoys me in games but is still annoying, sometimes new unwanted icons showing up when I go online on my PS4, just recently an icon for PS Now I think it was appeared, I instantly deleted it which I always do with any unwanted icon that randomly appears.

Anyone remember that Singstar Icon that appeared on PS3 that no-one wanted or asked for, it seems that Sony hasn't learned it's lesson from that incident and that lesson is don't give someone something they might not want or didn't ask for.

If people want to use PS Now or whatever they can choose to do it without having an unwanted icon imposed on them.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 02:44   #65
Lord Lulu

I thought of a minor one. I'm one of those people who like to keep my quest log empty. So when I get a number of quests I will finish them. But as I found out with Bethesda games, they like to throw quests at you. Many times it is quests that I didn't want to do yet. Or never ending radiant quests that never leave the quest log. I'm looking at you Preston Garvey. I just want to chose quests I want and to keep my log empty when I finish.
Lord Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 18:29   #66
DionysiasSoada

The idea of poorly done romance options. An example of this is Fire Emblem: Three Houses. If you're playing a male Byleth and wish to pursue a gay romance, there's only three options to choose from versus a female Byleth's five options. And it only gets worse from there: two of the three male routes result in a platonic end, which means that there's only ONE character that could actually be considered a gay romance option.

Honestly, hearing this fact kind of reduced my interest in the game, which is a shame cause it looked really cool (despite me not traditionally playing RPGs). To give credit where due, they did add two additional male romances post-lauch that weren't actual fake-outs, but I can certainly understand many people feeling shafted and queerbaited by the initial launch. It genuinely felt like an afterthought on part of the developers. Also not making Claude a romanceable option for male Byleth was a missed opportunity. At the very least, there were more options for female Byleth so I'm happy in that regard.
DionysiasSoada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 00:47   #67
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysiasSoada View Post
The idea of poorly done romance options. An example of this is Fire Emblem: Three Houses. If you're playing a male Byleth and wish to pursue a gay romance, there's only three options to choose from versus a female Byleth's five options. And it only gets worse from there: two of the three male routes result in a platonic end, which means that there's only ONE character that could actually be considered a gay romance option.

Honestly, hearing this fact kind of reduced my interest in the game, which is a shame cause it looked really cool (despite me not traditionally playing RPGs). To give credit where due, they did add two additional male romances post-lauch that weren't actual fake-outs, but I can certainly understand many people feeling shafted and queerbaited by the initial launch. It genuinely felt like an afterthought on part of the developers. Also not making Claude a romanceable option for male Byleth was a missed opportunity. At the very least, there were more options for female Byleth so I'm happy in that regard.
Yeah Video game romances in general for PC's tend to be pretty bad. (And FE's Avatars basically tick every box in "bad Video game self-insert protagonist" with the sole exception of Mark from Fe7.)

I dislike generic "self insert" protagonists who are basically Mary sues that most of the cast love immediately because we gotta empower the player!, what do you mean making the player a character that actually would naturally exist in the world?

No crouch button, why yes, I love playing my shooter where I'm forced to stand up and get shot by every direction, yes that's totally fun and doesn't feel like I'm handi-capped by bad controls, I can tolerate this for non-shooters/games with many mechanics (Such as GTA III) but dedicated shooters (Like the TR Reboots) lacking such a basic function is infuriating.

Any game that's designed to let newcomers come in but is actually harder than past games, bonus points if it's due to really bad design, such as a lack of a proper difficulty curve. (FE Awakening) or just plain bad enemy design. (DMC3, because an enemy telegraphing it's "teleport in your face and hit you instantly attack" being a roar that's drowned out by the loud music is good design.)

Bad humor, we're talking the "Woman hits man and it's funny because it's a woman hitting a man" humor where the male character has done literally nothing wrong. (FE Awakening a male character get full on decked in the face because he's concerned for his probably-soon-to-be-dead sister by a female character, who is also his canon love interest BTW and the game treats this like it's some how amusing and not reprehensible.)
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 01:08   #68
TombRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I dislike generic "self insert" protagonists who are basically Mary sues that most of the cast love immediately because we gotta empower the player!, what do you mean making the player a character that actually would naturally exist in the world?

No crouch button, why yes, I love playing my shooter where I'm forced to stand up and get shot by every direction, yes that's totally fun and doesn't feel like I'm handi-capped by bad controls, I can tolerate this for non-shooters/games with many mechanics (Such as GTA III) but dedicated shooters (Like the TR Reboots) lacking such a basic function is infuriating.
Have you ever heard of the game Gothic? It's a serie of RPG games where in these games, you begin as an absolute nobody and slowly go rise up, getting stronger... and I really mean it when I say nobody, you will have some trouble dealing with the simplest monsters sometimes and you won't be able to just pick up a fight with anyone you'll see or they'll kick your ass and may loot you if you have something.

And yeah, the lack of a crouch button can be a bummer too.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 18:11   #69
JayB_1988

When the game tells me where to go and what to do all the time like Tomb Raider‘s white paint and stuff like that. It really annoyed me. I want to figure everything out myself.
JayB_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 18:57   #70
Gamer20
Inactive

Games getting more expensive like the jump that we're seeing with the new console Generation, even though they still include lootboxes or pay 2 win stuff, that is locked behind some Paywall that you have to unlock to get "op" Features.....
Gamer20 is offline   Reply With Quote