Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 27-10-20, 07:15   #101
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Well I just tried playing AOD and good lord I never felt so burned out.
I can relate .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-20, 12:28   #102
Dennis's Mom

There will always be a nugget of hope that the game I fell in love with will return, but I don't think it will.

Now I get my "Tomb Raider" feels in other games.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-20, 19:11   #103
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
There will always be a nugget of hope that the game I fell in love with will return, but I don't think it will.

Now I get my "Tomb Raider" feels in other games.
Could you give examples? I've get to find other games to give a TR experience.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 00:53   #104
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post

-

played some of Rise the other day and GOD DAMN this game is so ****ing boring. And then Lara being so boring and uninterested too. Ugh. Gag. 2013 is truly the superior out of all 3 TR reboot games.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 06:39   #105
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
played some of Rise the other day and GOD DAMN this game is so ****ing boring. And then Lara being so boring and uninterested too. Ugh. Gag. 2013 is truly the superior out of all 3 TR reboot games.
I don't think Micheal Bay setpieces and more gunfight and cinematic galore would make the game more interesting than the others.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 13:54   #106
Pigfaced

In my opinion, the reboot games are great as stand-alone games, but as fully-fledged Tomb Raider adventures, they unfortunately fall short.

My favorite of the 3 is TR2013 because, while it's not perfect, it's a great origin story and it felt different when it came out. However, reusing this same Metroidvania-RPG format (which many games are doing now) isn't attracting any fans - old or new - to this franchise.

I think it would be wiser if Square did something else with the franchise after TR2013. After all, the ending of this game was a perfect way to introduce - or more appropriately - REintroduce Lara Croft to the modern world. In the beginning of the game, Lara has literally nothing. In the end, she is holding the dual pistols that made her the gaming icon that most people know today. After that, the 2 other games felt like a step backwards.

But Lara herself isn't the only problem. It's the games' structure. In the old TR games, you truly felt like an explorer; there was no map, healthpacks were limited and no one was there to guide you, the clues and items from your environment were all you needed. Sometimes, it feels like modern TR games are the complete opposite of this.

I think that the LAU trilogy was a near perfect way to reintroduce Lara to the gaming world. If there's one game that could have been the "formula" for every future TR game, for me it would definitely be Tomb Raider Anniversary. It's just the right amount of both old and new; not too difficult, but not painfully easy for newcomers either.

Long story short, I really enjoyed the Reboot trilogy as standalone games. The gameplay is good, the environments are pretty and the story isn't too terrible either. However, I don't think that it was enough to bring Lara into the mainstream again like the previous trilogy did, let alone like the originals.

When I finished Shadow, my first thought was "What now?". What's left for the TR franchise? If Square decides to continue the franchise and drop another game like Rise or Shadow, then it would be a very foul move. The formula needs to change, not just for Lara Croft but for the games in general.

That's what I think and if you made it this far, then thanks a lot!
Pigfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 14:36   #107
techno-atom

I just like Tomb Raider I don’t care if it’s classic or new. I’ll always just like having a new one than never seeing another one released.
techno-atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 15:03   #108
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfaced View Post
If Square decides to continue the franchise and drop another game like Rise or Shadow, then it would be a very foul move. The formula needs to change, not just for Lara Croft but for the games in general.
But let's say the game gets revealed tomorrow, but Lara looks stellar in every piece of marketing, the perfect combination of old and new, and when it comes out it's another reboot style game with hubs and optional tombs but this time everyone agrees it's terrific, all the issues addressed, everything Rise and Shadow should have been etc...

Do you see people skipping it because it's more reboot?
I don't.

I believe that great ideas and marketing can be stronger than novelty.

Last edited by killchan; 29-10-20 at 15:27.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 15:14   #109
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, of course it helps if you like Star Wars but it gives me a very Tomb Raider(ish) vibe. There’s exploration with multiple paths, you have to examine the games map to understand the layout of the areas, which is a nice touch. You have to solve puzzles which take some thinking about and a few Tombs that you have to enter.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 15:39   #110
Bridge
Inactive

Quote:
I’m pretty sure you’ve already played them but the Resident Evil puzzles have been satisfying me for quite a while
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote