www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-07-21, 16:30   #30441
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
Does anyone else get annoyed when Lara is examining an artifact and you get a 3d model of it and you keep on looking at it from different angles rotating it to find hidden information and you keep hearing a chime type sound everytime you're close but you're not actually close and you keep rotating it and observing it until n number of chimes and heard and after an eternity Lara finally opens her mouth just to say something like "oh nevermind it's a replica" ? Coz sometimes it gets on my NERVES.

(However i forgive them since artifacts and documents have gone optional to study by pressing a key making the experience better for no-nerds)
Personally I love artifacts and documents

It makes you feel like Lara is there to explore and be an archeologist and not only to kill Trinity lol

They should reduce the number though, there are too many in Shadow
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-21, 17:29   #30442
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Some of SotTR's artifacts that have secret text do have much less obvious clues to where the trigger for the text is, and that can indeed be annoying. In that regard, TR2013 and RotTR handled those types of artifacts much better.

I do like the system though, and I like how in SotTR you have to press a button to actually see the artifact and the transcript of the narration if you want. That way gameplay doesn't go into an instant halt. I would even add another stage between those, where you press a button and you hear the description of the artifact and document, and only go to the "inspect" screen if you press twice, just so you can have the info without stopping gameplay as well.
Old 13-07-21, 19:08   #30443
Raider8
Archaeologist

I'm cool with artifacts and documents. They add a lot more to the story and lore. In shadow they even tell stories in fragments.

Another good thing shadow added was the murals and riddles attached to them. These mini puzzles are fun too. Also the crypts in shadow were a huge improvement over the past games, which are overshadowed by the tombs in this game. As i recently replayed shadow, I'd say crypts deserve appreciation.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-21, 22:12   #30444
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
Another good thing shadow added was the murals and riddles attached to them. These mini puzzles are fun too. Also the crypts in shadow were a huge improvement over the past games, which are overshadowed by the tombs in this game. As i recently replayed shadow, I'd say crypts deserve appreciation.
The riddles were attached to the monoliths, but they were definitely a really neat addition. Much better than the RotTR version, which just put the location of the secret caches on your map.

And the crypts definitely deserve a shout out. Might be small things, but they were really neat. As complex as a side tomb in TR2013, which just shows how undercooked even those were in TR2013.
Old 15-07-21, 02:30   #30445
Raider8
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
The riddles were attached to the monoliths
Oh yeah. Why did i even say that lol.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 09:18   #30446
killchan
Professor

It's too bad that they implemented them as stand-alone checkbox content , rather than as part of a greater problem to solve.
Old 15-07-21, 10:40   #30447
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
It's too bad that they implemented them as stand-alone checkbox content , rather than as part of a greater problem to solve.
SotTR has a fair share of tombs and puzzles, some that actually need you to understand info or riddles present on documents, even during the main game, so not really.
Old 15-07-21, 12:18   #30448
killchan
Professor

Quote:
SotTR has a fair share of tombs and puzzles, some that actually need you to understand info or riddles present on documents, even during the main game, so not really.
I'm aware that temple of the sun has a document that tells you where to start, and the story part of mission of san juan has riddles you need to solve to move the thingies

but every monolith riddle in the game, those that have a specific category on the map, is a completely detached mini-quest that only involves solving the riddle in an open area with nothing to stop you, and when you get there it just ends. I was specifically talking about those.
Old 15-07-21, 12:35   #30449
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

What's the problem that needs to be solved, then? They provide side riddles, but there are also riddles in the main game. The riddle coming from a different source doesn't change the fact they're still riddles...

And if the problem is that that "riddles from monoliths" are just side content, side content doesn't have to share the same format they present in the main game. Side content can be its own thing.
Old 15-07-21, 12:39   #30450
killchan
Professor

Quote:
What's the problem that needs to be solved, then? They provide side riddles, but there are also riddles in the main game.
... is there a misunderstanding here?

By "greater problem to solve" I didn't mean a problem with the game. I meant a problem for Lara to solve.