Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 24-09-21, 01:55   #28801
charmedangelin

Core Lara isn't a young adult and neither was LAU for that matter. At some point they are going to have to treat adults as they are. Enough pandering to younger markets.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 02:01   #28802
Ellioft

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post

All this crap started when Toby Gard came back. He said he left cause he didn't like how Lara was oversexualized (can't be true because those pinup renders only came out during the TR2/3 era when he was already gone from the team...), then he comes back and we apparently get a less sexualized Lara (lol okay Tokyo dress), and instead we get daddy's little bitch. Wonderful.
Honestly how can you think that without knowing the full devellopment circle or the story behind every decisions taken ?

That's really rich coming from you when all you are doing on this forum at every corner is bitching about almost everything Crystal have done and praise only the peoples who think like you, a really healthy and constructive approch.

You are not even open at any dialogue because you have those preconcived ideas about Crystal.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 02:31   #28803
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Lol typical Eliot post complaining about fans being mad okay just keep licking whatever CD/SE throws out lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Honestly how can you think that without knowing the full devellopment circle or the story behind every decisions taken ?

That's really rich coming from you when all you are doing on this forum at every corner is bitching about almost everything Crystal have done and praise only the peoples who think like you, a really healthy and constructive approch.

You are not even open at any dialogue because you have those preconcived ideas about Crystal.
Takes one to know one Ellioft.

I'm open to dialogue. Let's dialogue away. But I doubt you'll actually want to dialogue with me because you don't like me, and you don't have to like me. But you made that decision (not to dialogue with me) when you first saw me posting my dislike of Crystal's games, and my dislike of Alicia Vikander, ages ago. Now who is preconceived?

Toby Gard was welcomed back as this great savior of Lara when Legend was first announced, and personally, I don't like what her character has been since Legend. Is that more constructive for you?

Last edited by .snake.; 24-09-21 at 02:34.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 02:54   #28804
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
All of this.

It's ironic how back in the day when things were seen as "more sexist", Lara was actually a more independent woman and a better character.

Today, we have creators making an effort at every corner to be "less sexist", and in the process Lara has become weak and uninspiring.

The supposedly overly sexualized Core Lara was her own person, and the new undersexualized Crystal Lara has an entire identity dependent on her father. Which version is the truly sexist one?

All this crap started when Toby Gard came back. He said he left cause he didn't like how Lara was oversexualized (can't be true because those pinup renders only came out during the TR2/3 era when he was already gone from the team...), then he comes back and we apparently get a less sexualized Lara (lol okay Tokyo dress), and instead we get daddy's little bitch. Wonderful.
Toby is definitely on my **** list and I have zero respect for him because of what he turned the franchise into. Laura Cruz was 100% his (I guess) but Lara Croft was a collaborative effort and in my opinion he doesn't even deserve THAT much credit to begin with. His "sexulazation" concerns was always ******** because he's had a few flop projects with female characters that resemble OG Lara and are very busty. He comes back in Legend and sketches Lara in the most skimpiest outfits but claims to care about how she's presented. What a joke. I am tired of waiting for something ****ing GOOD for once coming from this constantly molested franchise. I am ****ing angry.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 05:02   #28805
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Toby is definitely on my **** list and I have zero respect for him because of what he turned the franchise into. Laura Cruz was 100% his (I guess) but Lara Croft was a collaborative effort and in my opinion he doesn't even deserve THAT much credit to begin with. His "sexulazation" concerns was always ******** because he's had a few flop projects with female characters that resemble OG Lara and are very busty. He comes back in Legend and sketches Lara in the most skimpiest outfits but claims to care about how she's presented. What a joke. I am tired of waiting for something ****ing GOOD for once coming from this constantly molested franchise. I am ****ing angry.
I mean, yeah, he keeps changing what he says. Like how once he claimed his mouse innocently slipped, making Lara's breasts bigger... and how another time he corrected that saying that never actually happened.

Regardless of Toby Gard, there's still something foul going on at Crystal Dynamics if after all this time they still aren't aware of people hating the parental storylines and even parental references.
Old 24-09-21, 05:18   #28806
Jathom95

It's true though that some of it is just a lazy plot device. I know from a creative writing standpoint that one thing that is sure to be divisive is any sort of forced drama as a means of adding depth to a story.

If you do such a thing, it needs to have purpose within the context of the story. Notice how in the classic era, the (basically) only mention we ever got of Lara's parents at all was that she was disowned for refusing to marry an Earl. That's all the context we were given about them. Why? Because the point of the games were about being a Tomb Raider, it's about Lara Croft. She's the star of the show and the games revolved around her and whatever situation she finds herself in next. That worked well for them across 1-5 and even AOD.

Crystal wants to be taken seriously with storytelling, but they're using the same type of faux-drama that anyone can come up with nowadays. Parental fluff is often used to get people, not even specifically young adults, to engage with the story and relate to the characters. But in a game like Tomb Raider, where the focus is never on these people for any great length of time, they're not given the depth that Lara herself has. And so when the story calls for them to be brought up, these interconnected points fall flat. Underworld is a good example of this. Amelia's death causes the player to feel absolutely nothing, because 1) She and Richard are given at best passing mentions here and there in Legend and Underworld, and 2) There's literally no buildup to it. Lara finds her, finds out she's a thrall, and shoots her until she falls down into the Eitr. Then Natla comes along with the revelation that she killed Richard herself.

You can't expect people to care about things that, in the grand scheme of things, have next to no place within the plot itself. The plot may present those concepts as integral points, but you've got to give it the weight it needs or it falls flat. Every time.

Last edited by Jathom95; 24-09-21 at 05:20.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 05:30   #28807
.snake.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It is a cheap way to try to get emotional investment from people, but does it actually work? Is anyone actually moved by the LAU or Reboot storylines where Lara has emotional moments concerning her parents?

They basically just made Lara fall in line with other superheroes whose career follows in their parents footsteps and who have to avenge their parents somehow: Bruce Wayne, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter.

What baffles me is that Crystal has now rebooted the franchise twice, changing Lara's bio twice. It must've been clear to them that LAU was not a popular take on Lara's backstory with the parental drama, and they wrapped it up with Underworld, deciding to reboot the whole thing after that.

Then in TR 2013 they actually moved away from the parental drama for a change, and if anything it seems like Lara is estranged from, or not on good terms, with her father. They instead tried to replace the emotional stuff with Roth and Sam. I still thought it was a bad story overall, but at least we had one game that didn't revolve around Lara's parents. Then Rise comes out and we're right back where we started with LAU - Shadow making it even worse.

So I just don't get why they feel the need to continue with this broken record. It makes me wonder if anyone in Crystal's story department even knows that originally Lara's parents disowned her and are alive and well somewhere, not really speaking to her. It's almost as if whoever is in charge of story thinks the canon they must respect and follow is this parental legacy one. And so, it keeps returning and never is truly re-visioned, perhaps because they don't even know that a different Lara exists.

As I said: GROLP - Get Rid Of Lara's Parents.

Last edited by .snake.; 24-09-21 at 05:33.
Old 24-09-21, 06:48   #28808
Ellioft

So I think someone have found the truth about it :
It could be the origin story for the Legend/Anniversary backpack wich would made sence because the event in the collaboration game is based around Anniversary.

https://twitter.com/jackofallgames7/...86891186245639
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 06:59   #28809
Tombraider95

Quote:
So I have see the (fake) drama the peoples are doing for a single thing. Oh boy the unification process is going to be an unpleasant journey If you're going to nitpick every decisions who have been taken.
It's not a nitpick if fans have been saying for years they don't want anymore references or drama involving her parents, yet they are still doing it for no good reason. Surely you can understand why fans are voicing their opinions on this right?

Fans love the details. Of course if they do stupid things like this they're going to be called out for it. Why is that difficult to understand? It seems like you are just deflecting and making more of an issue about some people on twitter. I haven't seen any "drama" about this. Just people posting their opinions.

Quote:
In my opinion it's a cute nod nothing more and we don't know If it's only for the game or not.
Really? A cute nod to what? Her mother? But why? Von Croy is in this game. Why didn't they just reference Cambodia instead?

If they were smart about it they could have just put how she found it on one of her early adventures/expeditions. Or not even stated where she got it, just how useful it is on her adventures. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
Why can't they deliver anything substancial and meaningfull for once ?
I know right. The people behind TR just can't seem to get it right.

Quote:
It could be the origin story for the Legend/Anniversary backpack wich would made sence because the event in the collaboration game is based around Anniversary.

Her backpack still isn't her mothers, so that theory still doesn't make sense. The mobile game is celebrating all eras, so it isn't based around Anniversary.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 07:04   #28810
charmedangelin

Quote:

That's not the truth at all, Lara never inherited anything from her mother besides the broach used to remake the sword.

Edit

I'm just going to ask Meagan about it.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 24-09-21 at 07:07.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote