Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 04-04-19, 12:06   #1
White Rabbit

Default How to play official TR4 campaign levels in TREP and TRLE?

I downloaded TRLE from here, then modded the tomb4.exe using TREP v0.76 from here.

The reason for this is because I want to play the game with the various TREP features such as increased draw distances and enemy bodies that don't vanish into thin air. I had to use TRLE because TREP isn't compatible with any other kind of tomb4.exe.

However, I'm only able to access the few levels that came with TRLE. How can I integrate my main TR4 installation (from Steam) with TRLE and play the official campaign through the TREP-modded tomb4.exe?

Last edited by White Rabbit; 04-04-19 at 12:43.
White Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 12:52   #2
TombRaiderTim

In order to even begin to do such a feat, you'd need the entire script files of TR4 itself to build Script.dat and English.dat files to go with the tomb4.exe to show the levels in the main menu, link the names of pickups and their display correctly for each level and a variety of other things, otherwise the game itself would probably just crash upon trying to load a level.

I doubt this would do anything but you could perhaps try to copy and paste the contents of the data folder from the location where TR4 is located which contains the necessary level files but I feel like you would most likely have to have a complete project file built of each level, with its wad and textures included and output is as any other normal TRLE for even a slight chance of success.

You would also need the entire audio selection from TR4 itself in order to have the music for ambient and other events such as cutscenes and then there is the worry that the patches that are with TREP may affect how certain aspects of the game would work which could lead to a halt in progression or just another crash so it will be quite a huge task to attempt, otherwise I think it would have been done by someone already by now.

In short, a copy and paste method will not work for what you want and you'd need an extraction tool to decompile the TR4 level files to obtain a project file, wad and texture sheet from each which when is all loaded into the TRLE, won't just simply look perfect and be able to output straight away and would take work to iron out any bugs in the project itself.

You'd be basically turning yourself into a one man team of what Core Design accomplished together which would be a huge task.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 04-04-19 at 12:58.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 16:27   #3
Titak

The TRLE tomb4.exe is different from the original TR4 tomb4.exe.
TREP was made for use with the TRLE tomb4.exe.
Won't work with the TR4 tomb4.exe.

So you'd basically have to do what TombRaiderTim said to play TR4 with a TREP-patched tomb4.exe.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 18:35   #4
Kapu

Some of the TREP patches have been ported to the stock TR4 engine already. There's a nice comprehensive thread with downloads here that you can check out.

Increased draw distance is not included, but the "remove vanishing enemies" patch is there.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 18:36   #5
Titak

^
Oh, cool! I did not know that!
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 18:49   #6
Kapu

Pretty neat, eh? mizuno_suisei started the work back in 2009. The first thread I linked to builds on his (and some others') patching work.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 14:47   #7
ggctuk

Isn't there also an issue with cutscenes not being enabled in the TRLE executeable? Some levels only progress thanks to those cutscenes (Burial Chambers, Temple of Horus etc), so you'd likely be stuck anyway.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 09:12   #8
Dustie

That's the story, that cutscene code is missing from the TRLE exe.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote