www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-04-22, 16:23   #30731
_Seth
Inactive

None of those have anything to do with archaeology...
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 16:27   #30732
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Loool I remember starting a thread about about Lara's defining moment might be. None of us knew what it was after the game out.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 16:42   #30733
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
And so ?
It's her defining moment when she decide to take control so it's an arc progression.
Old 08-04-22, 16:58   #30734
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
It's the moment when she sacrify herself and let go of her past and accept her actual life with open arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
I mean.. there are kind of two possible answers for this.

- The cutscene in the Oil Fields.
- When Lara decides to Sacrifice herself and the following cutscene.
I think it's a build up of situations and emotions etc before and including these moments, then leading to the sacrifice.

Quote:
(S) Lara has been into archaeology since a small child. Her love for archaeology and history has been a constant throughout her life that led to her studying it at uni. "Becoming a TR" isn't about the archaeological side of it though (was it ever really?). It's the adventure, exploration, discovery of real myths and her coming to terms with her own past and with being comfortable with what she does and herself as a person- which includes doing whatever it takes, even fighting enemies without guilt, giving up the artefact if it's necessary, even sacrificing her 'dream childhood', even possibly her life. Its something that happens throughout the trilogy, but in Shadow in particular, I think it's a combination of what Ellioft and JoelCaesar say. Throughout Shadow, Lara is tested, on her impulse to go after what she wants and the consequences of her actions. From taking the dagger, despite the temple mural warning, because she doesn't want Trinity to get it first; her impulse to keep going after them even after she's witnessed the destruction of Cozumel during the Tsunami, then coming round to helping instead; the temptation of remaking the world for her own desires of having the childhood she dreams of - only to then dream of the reality of what living at the manor was like, even if she was also reminded of the joy she felt of climbing the manor and 'breaking in' to solve the puzzle of the secret room; then after the destruction of the oil field, which led to being grateful for what she does have, not what she lost and can't have back; which led to the sacrifice of letting her past go, the temptation of regaining that idealistic childhood is gone. She's set free at that moment and realises she can live in the present, the moment - and with the living, rather than being bogged down by the past. She rediscovered the joy of just being free to do what she does, and the adventurous spirit she always had, but had lost perspective on.

Maybe not everything is spelled out in the game, and maybe not everyone will pick up on it, but it's all there in the cutscenes.

Last edited by Rai; 09-04-22 at 00:19.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 19:34   #30735
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
May someone clarify what Lara's #definingmoment where she #becomesthetombraider actually was, please? I'm genuinely unsure.
When did they say her defining moment was to become the tomb raider? I may have missed that during promotion. I thought they just said Experience Lara’s defining moment. Which could’ve meant anything.

But Rai and Ellioft summed it up perfectly.
Old 08-04-22, 19:37   #30736
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Isn't her defining moment the one where she has the ultimate power to change the world (space and time) and make it how she wants, but chooses to accept reality and everything that happened to her and shaped her up to that moment (including her parents' deaths).

I mean I'm not saying it's perfect, but isn't the ceremony with the knife all about that?

Am I reading too much into everything?
Old 08-04-22, 23:12   #30737
Gian Carlo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Isn't her defining moment the one where she has the ultimate power to change the world (space and time) and make it how she wants, but chooses to accept reality and everything that happened to her and shaped her up to that moment (including her parents' deaths).

I mean I'm not saying it's perfect, but isn't the ceremony with the knife all about that?

Am I reading too much into everything?
It is, but people were expecting Lara to become classic Lara by the end of the game.
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 01:54   #30738
Raider8
Archaeologist

At this point, I just badly wanna play that demake of Shadow with all of it's humorous bits. That movie is so good LMAO.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 07:13   #30739
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

The entire journey across all three games is how she became the #TombRaider®

It's not like at any point in Shadow she suddenly transitioned from non-Tomb Raider to Tomb Raider, it's the whole experience.
Old 09-04-22, 14:31   #30740
SamCactus101
Professor

Honestly I don't think it's just ONE defining moment. She has had a few defining moments in all 3 games. As stated in her narrations at the end of each game.