Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 16-04-21, 23:47   #211
LateRaider
Inactive

ok but thats just weird and arbitrary to me

classics: 1-5
lau: lau
survivor: 2013 rise shadow

and aod is just aod in its own category? what about trae, is that its own category too? imo any of the ones by core are classics, theres no need to distinguish

Last edited by LateRaider; 17-04-21 at 23:01. Reason: i wrote this while i was drunk leave me alone lol
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 08:56   #212
Mek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
survivor: 2012 rise shadow

Quote:
and aod is just aod in its own category?
I perceive Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness as Tomb Raider Next Generation by Core. It is not a classic to me, because it differs too much from previous parts of the series and it was meant to be next-gen. I give even more explanation at the end of the post.

Quote:
what about trae, is that its own category too?
Yes, I think so.

Angel of Darkness does not even fit the definition of "a classic" from The Free Dictionary. Let's look at all meanings of this word in that dictionary:

1. Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is not of the highest rank and has not enduring significance.
2. It hasn't been finished. It certainly is not definitive in the field of Tomb Raider games.
3. This meaning is related to ancient Greece and Rome so this does not apply to The Angel of Darkness.
4. It is not a typical and traditional example of a Tomb Raider, it differs too much from TR1-TR5.
5. It is not superior than other Tomb Raiders. It may be a classic in the sense of being an unusual Tomb Raider, but this meaning is different than the one we use for classic Tomb Raider.
6. This meaning is related to sport so it does not apply to The Angel of Darkness.

The same applies to Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 02:53   #213
LateRaider
Inactive

to each their own i guess
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 09:12   #214
CircusBabysGal

Quote:
ok but thats just weird and arbitrary to me

classics: 1-5
lau: lau
survivor: 2013 rise shadow

and aod is just aod in its own category? what about trae, is that its own category too? imo any of the ones by core are classics, theres no need to distinguish
I myself would categorize AoD within the classics, to me the category doesn't apply to the games but the timelines, since AoD is still part of the classic timeline I'd put it in there.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 18:09   #215
Chamayoo

The fact that the AOD era was aborted forced me to include the game with the PS1 classics. I'm ok with that because it's in the same timeline of them and Core was behind as well...
However I think like Mel. AOD is significantly different because of many reasons.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 07:04   #216
Tyrannosaurus

I appreciate the fact that there is a TRA Unappreciation thread, as this game is unfairly overrated. It is certainly not a substitute for playing the original. In fact, this is the only TR game I actually rage-quit on, not once, but twice. I'd rather play the original 10 times in a row.

The part that finally broke me was that stupid boss battle in the Tomb of Tihocan. The Lost Valley boss fight and preceding QTEs were unbearably awful, too.

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 01-05-21 at 07:06.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 02:44   #217
sheepman23

Yikes, a whole thread dedicated to hating on this game? What it did it do to deserve that? Lol.

To be honest, I get why people dislike Anniversary, but I think some of the comments here suggest that Crystal Dynamics disrespected the memory of the original, which seems like a big exaggeration to me. They were thrown on this project and given a short amount of time to do it, all while Core had already started on their own product. It's not unreasonable to think that some of the things that were cut were purely due to time. Yes, the commentators do make notes about things that were purposefully removed, and I don't agree with all of it, but at the end of the day they were asked to do a re-imagining - as the team that didn't make the original - and they wanted to try and modernize it to fit the style they had started with Legend... Honestly, it wasn't a great recipe to begin with.

I'm moderately satisfied with the product that came out. I have my annoyances with the way they handled Greece and Atlantis in particular, but on the whole, it's a fun romp of a game. *shrug*
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 03:18   #218
charmedangelin

^

I feel the same, I loved Anniversary, I loved the whole LAU era. Anniversary is such an amazing game and one of my top favorite TR games. I never felt it disrespected the old games, it seemed to honor them just fine to me.

But that's just my opinion of course, people have their own reasons for liking or hating whatever they chose. At least the game exists for us who enjoy it and other games exist for those who do not.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 03:42   #219
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
^

I feel the same, I loved Anniversary, I loved the whole LAU era. Anniversary is such an amazing game and one of my top favorite TR games. I never felt it disrespected the old games, it seemed to honor them just fine to me.

But that's just my opinion of course, people have their own reasons for liking or hating whatever they chose. At least the game exists for us who enjoy it and other games exist for those who do not.
I agree that people can enjoy different styles, and if you prefer Crystal's take on Tomb Raider, great. They're great games. But I'll add this.

I think the appeal of Anniversary to people used to modern Tomb Raider is the streamlined aspect of it. That's not an inherently bad thing at all. Core's games are like big puzzles, and games like the classics are something that not everyone has time for nowadays.

However, the one thing I get tired seeing in other places/forums online is that people who prefer the old style, like me, are just stuck in the past and that somehow difficulty cannot possibly equal fun. Are the classics clunky by today's standards? Absolutely, but really only if you're going by a graphics and control scheme standpoint. To me, they're as fun as they ever were, because the whole appeal of it to me is having these huge expansive levels where, even if I know several of them inside and out, I can manage to find something new or something I didn't notice the other times.

I personally enjoy the original more because you have more agency. My big beef with the LAU trilogy when it was the current face of Tomb Raider was that everything about exploration took a backseat to feeling like an interactive movie, case in point: the quick-time events. You played in these much smaller environments because Crystal wanted to focus on the overarching story more. Again, not an inherently bad thing. It's just not what I want out of Tomb Raider. And with the Survivor trilogy and possibly beyond, I've accepted that we'll probably never return to that classic style. But I'll also never put anyone down for preferring it. At the end of the day, whatever brings you joy is what you should pursue.

Last edited by Jathom95; 09-05-21 at 03:45.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 09:40   #220
SSfox

Yeah this game was just ok, but not good remake, not bad either, just ok. Example of good remake are Crash, Demon souls and shadow of colossus, example of bad remake is twin snakes. TRA is in neither category, but in between.

Imo Underworld is the overall best TR game made by Crystal.
SSfox is offline   Reply With Quote