Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 26-03-20, 23:58   #1
QwerkyPengwen

Default Balck/White background in pause/inventory screen

Sup folks.
I am having an issue with TR3.

Specifically I am playing the Steam version and I am having an issue where the inventory/pause screen has either a white or black solid background.

It's like this when playing the game straight from being downloaded through steam.

The issue persists after having installed the multipatch udpate.

The issue persists through all manner of resolution options both 16bit and 32bit, and persists through every single configuration I can manage to mess with in Peixoto's patch launcher.

And I have googled for this and don't seem to see anything about it meaning most people haven't experienced this I guess?

Except both me and someone else I know have experienced this issue and it's frustrating.

Anybody know what's going on and why?
And perhaps knows how to fix it?

I am playing the Steam version on Windows 10 Pro x64 with latest updates.
I have an Intel 6700K and a GTX 1080 Ti with the latest drivers.

If you need any other info let me know.
QwerkyPengwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 12:15   #2
edumarrom

Lightbulb Possible solution!

Hi there! It's my first reply in the forum, and I'm very glad to help you!

I recently solved this problem in my computer. The reason is the height resolution used when you start the game. It must be multiple of 80. It doesn't matter if you use peixoto's patch or not. This issue affects Tomb Raider IV too

Reason: Idk lol

Example:
My laptop screen resolution is 1366x768. With "Forced Resolution" activated the inventory screen becomes solid white, no matter 16 or 32 bit.

Force the game to start at a height resolution multiple of 80 (1280x720 for example) will fix the issue. That's the resolution i'm using in my case.

It's interesting, because if you already opened the game in a proper resolution and increase the resolution at 1366x768 during gameplay, via game settings, the inventory background will continue working correctly.

Let me know if this helped you to solve the problem!

Last edited by edumarrom; 28-03-20 at 12:18. Reason: Added more info I discovered testing in-game
edumarrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 20:58   #3
QwerkyPengwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edumarrom View Post
Hi there! It's my first reply in the forum, and I'm very glad to help you!

I recently solved this problem in my computer. The reason is the height resolution used when you start the game. It must be multiple of 80. It doesn't matter if you use peixoto's patch or not. This issue affects Tomb Raider IV too

Reason: Idk lol

Example:
My laptop screen resolution is 1366x768. With "Forced Resolution" activated the inventory screen becomes solid white, no matter 16 or 32 bit.

Force the game to start at a height resolution multiple of 80 (1280x720 for example) will fix the issue. That's the resolution i'm using in my case.

It's interesting, because if you already opened the game in a proper resolution and increase the resolution at 1366x768 during gameplay, via game settings, the inventory background will continue working correctly.

Let me know if this helped you to solve the problem!
As I stated in my post, I've tried all resolutions. So no. It doesn't work that way for me.

Is there something else you've done in game launcher settings, and/or in peixoto? Such as compatibility mode, 32bit vs 16bit, Exclusive vs Non-Exclusive fullscreen, etc. etc.
Old 28-03-20, 21:19   #4
QwerkyPengwen

I have discovered that the non-exclusive fullscreen option was the culprit.
however, now that I have disabled that, I am running into a whole slew of new problems.

Changing resolution in game causes the game to freeze and the only way to get rid of it is to force end task in task manager.

But, it's on top of everything, so I have to have task manager open on another monitor (thankfully I have more than one) in order to hit windows key to untrap mouse and go over and end task.

Also, doing this results in me having to enable another option called Fix DirectDraw reference count just so the game would properly start.

Also also, I can't use the upscaled custom FMV's, and I have to move them out of the FMV folder in order for the original interlaced crap versions to play just so I can get FMV's.

Still can't change resolution without it freezing.

Best I can do at this point is select 1920x1080, and play at that resoultion on a 27" 1440p monitor and not be able to play at any higher rez.

Or, I can go back to what I was doing before where everything worked right and looked nice, and just deal with the solid color background. (I'm probably gonna do that if I can't figure out what else could be causing the crash)
Old 28-03-20, 21:24   #5
QwerkyPengwen

Correction.
I enabled Compatibility for Windows XP SP2 (just in case) and then I started the game in a 1920x1440 mode and the menu works and I was able to change resolution up by one to get 2560x1440 and it doesn't freeze. (at least for now)

But I still have to deal with the crap FMV's...... looks like I'll have to think about what I want more.
Proper looking pause menu, or non crap FMV's
Old 29-03-20, 11:10   #6
Wooxman

Just use dgVoodoo 2 to run the game: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Just copy the three .dll files from the "MS" folder to the installation folder of TR III (where the .exe is located), run dgVoodooCpl.exe, click on "Add" in the bottom right, select the folder in which TR III is installed, go to the DirectX tab in dgVoodoo, uncheck the box next to "dgVoodoo Watermark", select a videocard of your liking (I prefer to use one with 256 MB VRAM) and your set. It also works if you just copy the .dll files, but the dgVoodoo tool gives you some extra options like forced resolutions which allows you to set a lower resolution in the game so that the HUD elements (life bar, ammo coun etc.) are bigger.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 22:09   #7
QwerkyPengwen

does this work with Peixoto?
I am using Peixoto for resolution and widescreen fixes, along with custom textures and HQ FMV files (which I'm not using the last one at the moment because of the pause screen fix issue)
Old 29-03-20, 23:02   #8
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

I don't know if this is the answer you want to hear, but to be honest Classic Tomb Raider's are a pain to get working on PC. Tomb Raider 3 in particular is missing alot of graphical effects and audio effects. I recommend you to just emulate the PS1 version. you can run it in any resolution you like and in widescreen too and it will work with controllers.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 23:56   #9
QwerkyPengwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
I don't know if this is the answer you want to hear, but to be honest Classic Tomb Raider's are a pain to get working on PC. Tomb Raider 3 in particular is missing alot of graphical effects and audio effects. I recommend you to just emulate the PS1 version. you can run it in any resolution you like and in widescreen too and it will work with controllers.
I know I can do that, but TR3 plays fine as is.
My only issue so far is that if I want the HQ FMV's I have to sacrifice the pause menu, and if I want the pause menu to look proper I have to sacrifice HQ FMV's and deal with the low res, dark, and interlaced original versions.

The game itself works and plays just fine, and I get proper widescreen and redone upscaled texture pack doing PC.

Also, aside from the pause menu, graphical effects as far as I'm aware are all there and working.

I use Peixoto patch to play the games properly and do the HQ FMV's and upscaled textures. Trying to play the PC versions as is doesn't work too well I agree because they were made to run on older hardware and OS.

But thanks for the feedback.
Old 30-03-20, 17:41   #10
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Setting up dgVoodoo for the classics is about the same amount of hassle as configuring a PS1 emulator. Probably even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwerkyPengwen View Post
does this work with Peixoto?
I am using Peixoto for resolution and widescreen fixes, along with custom textures and HQ FMV files (which I'm not using the last one at the moment because of the pause screen fix issue)
I've never used Peixoto, but it works with the widescreen patch from Stella's site and it also works with a lot of custom levels that use a ton of plugins, so I guess that it also works with Peixoto.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote