Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 30-03-20, 16:08   #1
Lumberjack

Default How can we solve the issues with the audio synchronization during the cutscenes ?

Hello !

If somebody owns the GOG or Steam versions of Tomb Raider I and Tomb Raider II (I have the GOG versions), you maybe noticed that the audio isn't synch during the cutscenes.

I don't remember that it was the case when I played these games with the original CDs (unfortunately, I never owned them, it's a friend who lent me the games in the past, I only owned the 3rd and 4th episodes).

And I personally think that it's because some parts of the audio were loaded from the CDs. But with the Steam and GOG versions, it's in a mp3 file.

Now that I have time (because of the containment du to the COVID-19), I would like to solve this problem.

Does somebody have an idea "how" please ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by Lumberjack; 04-04-20 at 15:21. Reason: I changed the title of the post
Lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 17:45   #2
Wooxman

Back in the day I had this problem with the CD-ROM version of TR II on several PCs. While this can have something to do with the speed of the CD-ROM drive, it's also related to the general performance of the game. TR II was made for DirectX 5 and while more modern versions of DirectX are backwards compatible, they sometimes have performance problems with these old games.

Meanwhile the Steam version of TR I runs through DOSBox which is the worst way to play this game in general.

Luckily there are solutions, which are mostly made to make the games look better, but also mitigate general performance issues.

The best way to play TR I is via TombATI: http://www.glidos.net/tombati.html

And for TR II you have two options:

1) dgVoodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Just use dgVoodoo 2 to run the game: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Just copy the three .dll files from the "MS" folder to the installation folder of TR III (where the .exe is located), run dgVoodooCpl.exe, click on "Add" in the bottom right, select the folder in which TR III is installed, go to the DirectX tab in dgVoodoo, uncheck the box next to "dgVoodoo Watermark", select a videocard of your liking (I prefer to use one with 256 MB VRAM) and your set. It also works if you just copy the .dll files, but the dgVoodoo tool gives you some extra options like forced resolutions which allows you to set a lower resolution in the game so that the HUD elements (life bar, ammo coun etc.) are bigger.

2) Arsunt's TR2Main Patch, which also adds features from the PS1 version like the waving background and coloured health and breath metres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Using the latest developer build, combined with the uncompressed 20th Anniversary Remastered FMV's, everything works fine for me on Windows 7 and 10.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 19:01   #3
Lumberjack

Thanks for your answer !

And so, is there nothing to do with the audio issue ?

By the way, I noticed another strange thing. In the last level of TR2, in some cases, the ending cutscene is cut before it ends, and in other cases, everything is normal.

Here for example, it's normal :

https://youtu.be/3Xn-YMt0iho?t=12435

Here it's not :

https://youtu.be/Y97XQfmbQJk?t=395

So what is the origin of this difference ?

Concerning dgVoodoo, the waving background and coloured health and breath metres, does it work with the GOG version ?

It looks really cool !

Do you know a video where we can see this please ?
Old 30-03-20, 19:45   #4
Wooxman

There's a thread about it with videos: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=218509

The music issue should be fixed by using dgVoodoo or the TR2Main Patch (you can't use both at the same time) since both solutions improve the stability of the game, loading times, overall performance etc.

And yes, it also works with the GOG version.
Old 30-03-20, 20:03   #5
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
If somebody owns the GOG or Steam versions of Tomb Raider I and Tomb Raider II (I have the GOG versions), you maybe noticed that the audio isn't synch during the cutscenes.
Not exactly. This problem happened for old GOG playback wrapper (the one that used ogg files), not Steam. The Steam version uses PaulD's CDAudio solution, I know it's code very well, and I can swear, that it must sync with cut scenes properly. Since TR2Main uses the latest PaulD's solution with my improvements, the sound must be OK. If it doesn't somehow, I'm ready to fix it.
Quote:
By the way, I noticed another strange thing. In the last level of TR2, in some cases, the ending cutscene is cut before it ends, and in other cases, everything is normal.
This is typical problem of PC version of the game. It is supposed to fadeout the screen to black while sound is playing on. This feature was properly implemented for Playstation version, but for PC... developers just left the sound cut off because they did not implemented proper screen fade out. My TR2Main fixes it.
Quote:
Concerning dgVoodoo, the waving background and coloured health and breath metres, does it work with the GOG version ?
I recommend TR2Main without dgVoodoo. It should work with latest GOG version perfectly. To understand what you will get with this, just read the change log.

Last edited by Arsunt; 30-03-20 at 20:05.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 20:33   #6
Lumberjack

Yeah ! Thanks both of you !

I'm ready to test that !

I just wanted to add that there is the same problem with the GOG version of the 1rst Tomb Raider. The audio is out of sync with the video too. Is it better with the Steam version ?

Last edited by Lumberjack; 30-03-20 at 20:47.
Old 30-03-20, 20:46   #7
Arsunt

Quote:
I'm ready to test that !
Don't forget to visit ExtraOptions folder.
Instructions for it can be found here. Have fun!
Old 30-03-20, 21:18   #8
Wooxman

Quote:
I just wanted to add that there is the same problem with the GOG version of the 1rst Tomb Raider. The audio is out of sync with the video too. Is it better with the Steam version ?
It doesn't matter which version you use when you install TombATI.
Old 30-03-20, 21:28   #9
Lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Don't forget to visit ExtraOptions folder.
Instructions for it can be found here. Have fun!
Thanks !

But just a question : aren't the GOG and Steam version supposed to be the same ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It doesn't matter which version you use when you install TombATI.
Thanks !

But is there a way to put these games in French with all these extras ?
Old 31-03-20, 05:50   #10
Arsunt

Quote:
But just a question : aren't the GOG and Steam version supposed to be the same ?
GOG/Steam TR2 versions were different few years ago. GOG and Steam don't create their own compatibility patches, they use patches created by community. NoCD patches, CDAudio emulators, bugfixes - all of this created by us, not them. Many years ago, the Steam took one patch (with PauD's CDAudio), and the GOG took another (with .ogg wrapper). But it seems after many years GOG realized that they used wrong patch, and they replaced it by PauD's one (used in Steam), at least English version.

TLDR: GOG and Steam versions are not identical, but now they are similar, at least for English locales.