Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 06-03-20, 10:42   #2621
ggctuk

At C2E2, the TROS novelization saw a limited release.

Biggest revelation? That Palpatine's arc is Dark Empire all over again. His body is an imperfect clone, rotting because it wasn't ready to take on Palpatine's spirit. He forced his spirit out of his original body as he fell and woke up in his new body. His 'son' is also a modified clone that lacked Force potential so was discarded by Palpatine as being worthless for anything other than continuing the bloodline. Palpatine needing Rey to kill him to free his spirit from his decaying body so he can possess her is straight out of Dark Empire's ending.

So, you get a Palpatine clone, and you get a Palpatine clone, and you get a Palpatine clone...

Needless to say, this has soured my view of the film somewhat. I can't say I hate it, AOTC is still my least favourite if you're counting only the Episodes, but... I was really hoping they wouldn't go the Dark Empire route.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 11:16   #2622
dg1995

At least Dark Empire brought back Boba Fett from the death. That alone makes it superior than Episode 9.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 11:22   #2623
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
At C2E2, the TROS novelization saw a limited release.

Biggest revelation? That Palpatine's arc is Dark Empire all over again. His body is an imperfect clone, rotting because it wasn't ready to take on Palpatine's spirit. He forced his spirit out of his original body as he fell and woke up in his new body. His 'son' is also a modified clone that lacked Force potential so was discarded by Palpatine as being worthless for anything other than continuing the bloodline. Palpatine needing Rey to kill him to free his spirit from his decaying body so he can possess her is straight out of Dark Empire's ending.

So, you get a Palpatine clone, and you get a Palpatine clone, and you get a Palpatine clone...

Needless to say, this has soured my view of the film somewhat. I can't say I hate it, AOTC is still my least favourite if you're counting only the Episodes, but... I was really hoping they wouldn't go the Dark Empire route.
I take novelizations always as their own thing and let movies stand on their own.
I mean sure they give some more depth here and there, but i dont NEED them to exist or see them as canon.

But either way, this novelization seems to make already questionable things even worse than the movie.

The palpatine is a clone thing isnt the worst idea, but they handled it the worst possible way.
The idea is so cool because it makes so much sense and all.
But they shoehorned such a plot into one movie that already was overcrowded with everything.

As if that wasnt bad enough, now we got "palpatines son is really a failed clone of himself"? Jesus christ on a stick.

You know i love the idea of palpatine desperatly trying to hang onto his power and life, the whole clone thing is a cool idea because i always thought his "end" in ROTJ was way too simple to end his story.
So him having achieved what his master didnt, him desperatly clinging onto life and wanting to be the ultimate being that rules forever...its a cool concept.
But just like with everything about the ST, they wasted the potential because they thought too short sighted.

Once they knew that what TLJ did didnt work, they should have gone from the trilogy and added a fourth movie to finish this story with more time.
But no, they were hellbent on making it a trilogy because star wars always worked that way.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 13:49   #2624
Linoshi Croft

I'll wait to read the novelisation to make a judgement. Nothing takes away from the fact that ROS was completely disjointed and lacking in exposition.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote