www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 17-11-19, 22:49   #31231
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I haven't had any problems with RE2's story so I am always really curious as to why so many people on the internet have so many issues with it. The only reason I can think of is that they are comparing the story to the RE2 original in which actually the zapping system was working. The re2 remake game however goes the RE1 Route and makes you kill the same bosses with both characters. Hardly anything new in the series, it was an issue in both RE1 and Remake in which you had yo kill Lisa Trevor with both Jill and Chris in the same areas etc. Nothing really new at all so it doesn't bother me at all to be quite honest. The Game of the year award is well deserved it sure is game of the year for me.
Here’s a few of the issues that bug me about the remakes story:

-They removed all references to RE1 in the remake.

-The beginning street sections were removed so the remake lost the ability to showcase how RC was in complete disarray, instead there’s no life or character to the city at all. The sections spent outside are completely uninteresting.

-Claire searching for her Brother side plot barely gets mentioned and has no real pay off, Claire just kind of forgets about him (unless you play through her A campaign, which is the only campaign where she gets confirmation that he’s out of town)

-Leon and Claire barely interact throughout the game.

-Chief Irons’ character is a god awful 0-100 villain in the remake, all subtly and creepiness of his character is gone. Every line out of his mouth is drenched in cliche, he’s just awful.

-Annette is also terribly written in the remake, not giving 2 ****s about her own child and abandoning her at the bottom of a trash dump drives me insane.

-The story has several major inconsistencies due to both characters fighting the same bosses in the same areas right after each other. Also Annette dying 5 times and teleporting is bad.

-Ada’s character is okay in the remake, but I still have a few issues with her. I hate the way she’s a bitch to Leon, she never did that in the original. I miss her original cover story, where she acted like a normal citizen, instead of a super spy mega bitch.

Overall the story is just less interesting this time, the lab is boring, William Birkin is boring, the underlying corruption in RC isn’t there, it just sucks tbh.

I still love this game, but as far as the story, they really dropped the ball with this remake.
Old 17-11-19, 23:14   #31232
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Here’s a few of the issues that bug me about the remakes story:

-They removed all references to RE1 in the remake.

-The beginning street sections were removed so the remake lost the ability to showcase how RC was in complete disarray, instead there’s no life or character to the city at all. The sections spent outside are completely uninteresting.

-Claire searching for her Brother side plot barely gets mentioned and has no real pay off, Claire just kind of forgets about him (unless you play through her A campaign, which is the only campaign where she gets confirmation that he’s out of town)

-Leon and Claire barely interact throughout the game.

-Chief Irons’ character is a god awful 0-100 villain in the remake, all subtly and creepiness of his character is gone. Every line out of his mouth is drenched in cliche, he’s just awful.

-Annette is also terribly written in the remake, not giving 2 ****s about her own child and abandoning her at the bottom of a trash dump drives me insane.

-The story has several major inconsistencies due to both characters fighting the same bosses in the same areas right after each other. Also Annette dying 5 times and teleporting is bad.

-Ada’s character is okay in the remake, but I still have a few issues with her. I hate the way she’s a bitch to Leon, she never did that in the original. I miss her original cover story, where she acted like a normal citizen, instead of a super spy mega bitch.

Overall the story is just less interesting this time, the lab is boring, William Birkin is boring, the underlying corruption in RC isn’t there, it just sucks tbh.

I still love this game, but as far as the story, they really dropped the ball with this remake.
Perfect explanation. Considering the original remake is cited as one of if not the best remakes of all time they should have taken much more care with it. RE1 remake takes every element and expands its well from the areas rot he story adding in the Lisa Trevor angle which was so tragic and highlights how truly evil umbrella had always been. I feel like the whole orphanage element of RE2 remake was meant to achieve the same reaction but it’s just all so crude and shoe horned in it all just feels so flat. The first remake built and added. This remake took away and I don’t really see how that happened. It’s quite clear to me this game was built as it went along with no real clear idea of what they truly wanted to do with it. I wish it had gotten a good 6 more months development time. I also think it’s incredibly bizarre, given the hype around the game and it’s generally positive reception, they’ve wasted time doing that awful Project Resistence thing rather than developing DLC which would
Extend the game and fix its story.

Last edited by jajay119; 17-11-19 at 23:16.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 23:39   #31233
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

There does appear to be DLC in the works, if the null achievement is anything to go by
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 23:42   #31234
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with RE2's story so I am always really curious as to why so many people on the internet have so many issues with it. The only reason I can think of is that they are comparing the story to the RE2 original in which actually the zapping system was working. The re2 remake game however goes the RE1 Route and makes you kill the same bosses with both characters. Hardly anything new in the series, it was an issue in both RE1 and Remake in which you had yo kill Lisa Trevor with both Jill and Chris in the same areas etc. Nothing really new at all so it doesn't bother me at all to be quite honest. The Game of the year award is well deserved it sure is game of the year for me.
Well in REmake, the two storys are presented as being alternate to one another. Both storylines make sense as self contained endeavors for Chris and Jill.

RE2make goes out of it's way to show how the two storylines connect. For example, Leon is only able to gain his vial because Claire opened up the lock with Sherry's necklace. There are just too many inconsistencies for the storylines to work in the way the game intends it to. They should've just made them self contained like in the first remake.
Old 18-11-19, 07:15   #31235
noonbob
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Well in REmake, the two storys are presented as being alternate to one another. Both storylines make sense as self contained endeavors for Chris and Jill.

RE2make goes out of it's way to show how the two storylines connect. For example, Leon is only able to gain his vial because Claire opened up the lock with Sherry's necklace. There are just too many inconsistencies for the storylines to work in the way the game intends it to. They should've just made them self contained like in the first remake.
Exactly! I read that post and thought the exact same thing.
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 07:36   #31236
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with RE2's story so I am always really curious as to why so many people on the internet have so many issues with it. The only reason I can think of is that they are comparing the story to the RE2 original in which actually the zapping system was working..
You pretty much answered your own question and it really shouldn't surprise you lol.

Quote:
The re2 remake game however goes the RE1 Route and makes you kill the same bosses with both characters. Hardly anything new in the series, it was an issue in both RE1 and Remake in which you had yo kill Lisa Trevor with both Jill and Chris in the same areas etc. Nothing really new at all so it doesn't bother me at all to be quite honest. The Game of the year award is well deserved it sure is game of the year for me.
It's fine for RE1, because it's pretty much the only game in the main series that told it's story that way (play as Chris OR Jill). 2 was a little more cohesive in it's plot, even though it had two versions of how events go down..you still have to play BOTH Claire and Leon to get a full set of events. 3 just has optional events, with a pretty set story. Every other game is just one set story.

Resident Evil 2 it's zapping system is probably the game's most defining feature....and Capcom completely cut it out. The fact that Claire and Leon don't work together is the biggest travesty to the plot. Then add the fact they made so many other changes like:

- Character Designs and Motivations (Ada, Annette and Irons in particular)
- Cutting out Enemies (They even tried to take out Plant 43 and the Alligator)
- Cutting out iconic locations (The Marshaling Yard for instance)
- Practically ZERO references to RE1 (just lame)
- Expanding areas that didn't need to be (I'm looking at you Sewers )

Capcom really messed up during production and it shows when you look at interviews. They spent forever trying to figure out things like, "How can we get the character's to the Lab? Let's make them drive through the woods up a mountain!" Then they realized....why wouldn't they just drive out of the city? They over thought way too much on what they needed to do with the game.

I really feel for the script writer though as he actually rewrote the script for the original RE2, just to be told by Capcom to start over. When he tried to point out the plot inconsistencies with the new one(the one we got), they just hand waved it away because it wasn't a big deal to them.

Last edited by shockwave_pulsar00; 18-11-19 at 07:37.
shockwave_pulsar00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 07:45   #31237
noonbob
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
You pretty much answered your own question and it really shouldn't surprise you lol.

It's fine for RE1, because it's pretty much the only game in the main series that told it's story that way (play as Chris OR Jill). 2 was a little more cohesive in it's plot, even though it had two versions of how events go down..you still have to play BOTH Claire and Leon to get a full set of events. 3 just has optional events, with a pretty set story. Every other game is just one set story.

Resident Evil 2 it's zapping system is probably the game's most defining feature....and Capcom completely cut it out. The fact that Claire and Leon don't work together is the biggest travesty to the plot. Then add the fact they made so many other changes like:

- Character Designs and Motivations (Ada, Annette and Irons in particular)
- Cutting out Enemies (They even tried to take out Plant 43 and the Alligator)
- Cutting out iconic locations (The Marshaling Yard for instance)
- Practically ZERO references to RE1 (just lame)
- Expanding areas that didn't need to be (I'm looking at you Sewers )

Capcom really messed up during production and it shows when you look at interviews. They spent forever trying to figure out things like, "How can we get the character's to the Lab? Let's make them drive through the woods up a mountain!" Then they realized....why wouldn't they just drive out of the city? They over thought way too much on what they needed to do with the game.

I really feel for the script writer though as he actually rewrote the script for the original RE2, just to be told by Capcom to start over. When he tried to point out the plot inconsistencies with the new one(the one we got), they just hand waved it away because it wasn't a big deal to them.
Do you have the source to this? I think I remember you mentioning this before.
Makes it even more annoying because we probably would have a better Remake in terms of story had they not scrapped the one he did first.
Old 18-11-19, 08:14   #31238
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonbob View Post
Do you have the source to this? I think I remember you mentioning this before.
Makes it even more annoying because we probably would have a better Remake in terms of story had they not scrapped the one he did first.
I know for certain there is one video on youtube (I think he did 2 interviews though). I'd link the video, but I'm pretty sure he uses language. Just look up his name, Brent Friedman, and you should find it. He talks for like an hour about the majority of the Remake's plot and why he chose what based on Capcom's feedback, like:

He wanted Sherry to leave Claire's Jacket/Vest with her mom, but Capcom wouldn't let him.
Old 18-11-19, 09:27   #31239
noonbob
Professor

Quote:
I know for certain there is one video on youtube (I think he did 2 interviews though). I'd link the video, but I'm pretty sure he uses language. Just look up his name, Brent Friedman, and you should find it. He talks for like an hour about the majority of the Remake's plot and why he chose what based on Capcom's feedback, like:

He wanted Sherry to leave Claire's Jacket/Vest with her mom, but Capcom wouldn't let him.
Found it, Thank you. I'll listen to it after work
Old 18-11-19, 18:36   #31240
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:

He also wanted Chief Irons to tell Sherry "I can't wait to get you up on my embalming table." when dragging her away from Claire in the parking garage.

…yuck...….

Because of course, you can't make a creepy twisted villain without throwing in a dash of pedophilia… Chief was never a pedophile, when I heard he wanted Irons to say that I definitely got the impression he didn't understand these characters at all. Chief was a twisted individual but he was never a pedo.