Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 12-11-19, 19:58   #681
DragonSlayer

I was scrolling through Teletext catching up on some of today's news when I saw something confusing, a politicians question on why 10 billion has been sent abroad to countries including Poland, Nigeria, the UK and France has been branded as being racist.

I fail to see how asking why that much money has been sent abroad is equal to racism, the article which doesn't give a lot of information quoted Ruth Coppinnger from the Solidarity-PBP party saying the question was an example of disgraceful racism.

PBP stands for people before profit in case anyone was wondering what PBP means.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 18:51   #682
Blue_light

Ok, this wasn't exactly said, but it was something that I used to think.

So, when I was young, and first knew of Uma Thurman during the 'Kill Bill' tv ads, I always thought "What's a Thurman?". Reason is that "Uma" literally means either "one (feminine version)" or "a (also feminine version)", and because Uma was a woman, I always thought the TV ads were referring her as "A Thurman".
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 15:23   #683
DragonSlayer

It's that time of the year again when the Scrooge's come out of the woodwork to complain about all things Christmas.

It was in today's local paper in the comments from online readers section, one person said that the Christmas lights shouldn't be turned on until the first of December.

They should stop complaining it's only for a few weeks a year and it brightens up the streets,I look forward to the Christmas lights being turned on every year it makes the streets far less depressing especially at night time.

Now if only there was street lighting similar to the Christmas lightsto brighten up the streets all year round, that would be an improvement.
Old 20-11-19, 16:22   #684
Vaskito

^ I love the Christmas spirit - the music, the lights, etc. I love seeing Christmas lights everywhere - it pains that there are people who hate it :'(
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 20:06   #685
Draco
Golden

Probably because starting all things Christmas so damn early dilutes the spirit of the holiday. Regardless of what you think about the religious aspects, it's a lot of hype for one relatively unimportant day.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 23:41   #686
SnatchingEdges

I do ''hate'' Christmas for the solely reason that shopping centres are full of people in my city and the bad Christmas movies. I don't mind the lights or anything else. I also HATE with all my soul these ''be good, life is wonderful, smile'' messages, but they are used all the year even though they get more obnoxious the closer Christmas is.

And, well, that's something dumb a lot of people say, ''life is wonderful if you are positive and believe in yourself''. Shut up, Karen, I'm struggling with depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, anger issues, I have no money or job, my studies are going like Hell, my grandma is sick, I have back pain, my acne won't leave my face, my dad is a crap human being, my cat ignores me, my 27 crushes also ignore me, far-right wing parties are getting more recognition, FF7 Remake is being divided into different episodes, I don't know what to do with my future, the doctor is forcing me into a diet as sugar-free as possible and yet you say the solution to my problem is in my smile. Girl, cheesy anime quotes won't get my grandad out of his wheelchair.

I'm not saying I have these problems lol (only some of them), it's just an example.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 20-11-19 at 23:43.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 10:06   #687
Tomb Raidering

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
I'm not saying I have these problems lol (only some of them), it's just an example.
Thank god! I was getting worried...

“I hate insert here food!” >.<
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 14:03   #688
Blue_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
^ I love the Christmas spirit - the music, the lights, etc. I love seeing Christmas lights everywhere - it pains that there are people who hate it :'(
Me: *hides*

I only love the decorations, to be honest.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 15:01   #689
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
Me: *hides*

I only love the decorations, to be honest.
Oh nooooooooooo!
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 15:57   #690
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Probably because starting all things Christmas so damn early dilutes the spirit of the holiday. Regardless of what you think about the religious aspects, it's a lot of hype for one relatively unimportant day.
Maybe so but anything that brightens up the streets once it gets dark is IMO a good thing, nearly all year round once it gets dark the streets become dull and depressing which is why so many people look forward to the Christmas lights being switched on, the lights being switched on lifts people's spirits and makes the city centre a far less dull place to be in, if only it lasted longer.

There are plans to pedestrianise the two streets that the lights are on but that could take years before they get around to doing it but it won't do any good of they don't adequately light it, think Times Square in New York something like that.

They do want to plant trees on the two streets as part of the pedestrianisation plans, I'd prefer they focus on something useful like lighting rather than trees which IMO don't really fit in, in a city centre they tried it a few years ago with massive plant pots which only succedded in blocking people's view of oncoming traffic at pedestrian crossings before they were removed and replaced with better plant pots that don't block people's view of oncoming traffic, the old plant pots were similar to a tiered wedding cake just without the gaps between the tiers.

@snatchingedges you made me at the cat ignoring you and FF7 being divided into episodes, it reminded me of one of those letters people write into what I call the problem pages in newspapers, long story short this guy and his wife fought so much with each other that the cat moved out and went to live with the neighbours.