www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 20-09-19, 12:44   #1
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Default Should schools be dictating to parents

The question is in the title, should schools be dictating to parents?

The short answer is no they shouldn't, every now and then it's in the news that a school in England has issued a parent with a fine for taking their kid out of school during term time for a holiday, holidays are often cheaper during the school term so I can't blame someone for taking advantage of a cheaper holiday.

One father who was issued a fine by his daughters school took them to court and won, the school argued that the guys daughter wouldn't learn anything outside the school which is just not true learning isn't confined to the classroom you can learn things in museums and other places, it's alright for schools to take the kids out of the classroom but a child's parent can't do the same thing.

School principals need to remember that they are not the children's parents and that they are there to teach nothing more and nothing less.

The schools only care about keeping their attendance figures up for when they are inspected so that a box on a piece of paper can be ticked.

I forget where this happened but one school principal refused to let a student have a few days off so that they could go to a funeral, the mother ignored the principal and took their child to the funeral.

Some school principals are just drunk on the power they possess, a few years back I read in a paper or it might have been online I forget which that a school principal sent a note home to parents that he was going to go around to all their homes and smash up all their electronic gadgets TVs, laptops and so on so that the students grades would improve.

I don't know if this actually happened and I doubt it did, plus no-one would just stand there while someone destroyed all their stuff and he would have been arrested for multiple charges of destruction of property if he had gone ahead and done it.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 13:19   #2
Teone
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
...I can't blame someone for taking advantage of a cheaper holiday.
Yes I do blame that idiot parents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
School principals need to remember that they are not the children's parents and that they are there to teach nothing more and nothing less.
They can't teach if parents are aginst them
I'll always be on the side of Teachers and Principals.

In Latin "Teacher" is "Magister" = Magis ter (Greater among three).
The three are Mom, Dad and the Theacher himself. So, yes! School should be dictating to parents.

Last edited by Teone; 20-09-19 at 13:28.
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 13:33   #3
Tomb Raidering
Professor

No, the schools shouldnít be dictative imo. But the parents and the children need to get out of this laziness syndrome. They have 3 months of vacation; plus the spring, Easter, New Year Eve holidays. There should be laws that force parents to send children to school, like one day absent equals a 50$ fine unless you have proof of something urgent (illness, funeral, etc). Thatís my opinion anyway, and Iím a teacher
Old 20-09-19, 14:18   #4
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
No, the schools shouldnít be dictative imo. But the parents and the children need to get out of this laziness syndrome. They have 3 months of vacation; plus the spring, Easter, New Year Eve holidays. There should be laws that force parents to send children to school, like one day absent equals a 50$ fine unless you have proof of something urgent (illness, funeral, etc). Thatís my opinion anyway, and Iím a teacher
Going on holidays during the summer holidays is more expensive than going on holiday during the school year, holiday companies deliberately raise prices by how much I'm not sure since it's been a long time since I last had a holiday but I wouldn't be surprised if a holiday during the 3 months schools are on holidays cost between two and three thousand compared to however cheap they are during the school year.

Everyone loves a bargain and I wouldn't blame them for taking advantage of one, why pay more for the same thing when you can get it cheaper.
Old 20-09-19, 14:20   #5
TRfan23
Golden

I'm not a teacher, but I find it bad that parents can simply take their kids out of school (without putting in any notice) for a cheap holiday.

When I went to Walt Disney World in 2001 aged 8, my parents went through the usual process of getting the absence authorized as we went when it was cheap in March/April (before Easter Holidays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
They have 3 months of vacation; plus the spring, Easter, New Year Eve holidays.
To be fair the prices of the holidays during those seasons are a lot more and it's packed, families will less likely enjoy their holiday as a result. So long it's an authorized absence during school-time then that is imo fine.

Last edited by TRfan23; 23-09-19 at 20:59.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 16:06   #6
moodydog
Relic Hunter

I missed two months of primary school when I went to Australia (I did go to school there... so maybe it doesn't count.)

My mum also took me to Australia for three weeks during school time whilst I was taking my GCSE's... But it was to see my grandparents.

Last edited by moodydog; 25-09-19 at 06:24.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 16:31   #7
DVDSpike
Professor

This whole argument about holidays is stupid. Whether it's cheaper or not, you shouldn't be taking your child out of school for a holiday.
Old 20-09-19, 16:47   #8
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

It's not just the parents that schools are dictating to sometimes they dictate to the pupils.

I saw in one of today's papers that some school principals in Ireland have discouraged them from taking part in climate change protests as part of the school climate change strike movement.

Some school principals have labelled the strikes infuriating (probably because it messes with their meticulously planned lesson plan for the day) it seems that the schools that discouraged the kids care more about keeping their attendance figures up than more important issues.

Right up to when I left school for good back in 2003 I frequently heard the teachers say that keeping the attendance figures up was more important than anything else.

Since it's rare that young people care about major issues like climate change,the school principals should be encouraging them to take part and not discouraging them from taking part.

It can sometimes be difficult to get young people to take an interest in major issues, when they do show an interest in a major issue they shouldn't be discouraged and prevented from doing something about it.
Old 20-09-19, 17:02   #9
TRfan23
Golden

Including students in climate change protests I disagree with. These climate change protests as shown many months ago, have caused disruption in many parts preventing some people from even getting to work (London in particular)!

Besides, it's not like most of the students even care about it, just like with some protests a lot of time it's more about drama, anarchy and chaos than actually getting anything done.

People walking around with a placard consisting of a bunch of words isn't going to do anything productive, other than contributing to noise pollution and potentially being an obstruction for other people.

Oh and many of these people (obviously not the kids themselves) probably got there in their diesel/petrol cars so...

----------------------------

Yes for the teachers they have to keep attendance records up because otherwise the governors will eat them alive. Blame the government on that not the teachers.
If the government is going to bribe the school by giving them extra funding if they keep attendance records high, then obviously the teachers are going to try to achieve that whilst also doing their job.

--------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
This whole argument about holidays is stupid. Whether it's cheaper or not, you shouldn't be taking your child out of school for a holiday.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...ney+than+sense

Last edited by TRfan23; 20-09-19 at 17:31.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 17:14   #10
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
They skip without a reason anyway so they might as well go on a holiday lmao