www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 04-03-18, 16:48   #41
R41D3R
Student

It works like a charm, JimbobJeffers! Can't wait for the Manor!
Old 05-03-18, 19:36   #42
JOHN30011887
Student

Great work
Old 15-03-18, 00:02   #43
skracer
Hobbyist

I have the Steam version of TR:A on Windows 10 and I haven't been able to install this mod.

I get stuck on step 4 of the installation. I already edited the "Unpack game.bat" file with notepad to the directory I have TR:A installed, same thing with the Output folder. The issue is when I click the "Unpack game.bat" file it launches then immediately closes. Even running it as an Administrator doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is because I have Windows 10. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this fixed or an alternative way of installing this awesome mod I'd appreciate it.
skracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 13:51   #44
JimbobJeffers
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by skracer View Post
I get stuck on step 4 of the installation. I already edited the "Unpack game.bat" file with notepad to the directory I have TR:A installed, same thing with the Output folder. The issue is when I click the "Unpack game.bat" file it launches then immediately closes. Even running it as an Administrator doesn't work.
I'm on Win10 so it's not that. If you add a new line at the end of the .bat file and type pause, then save and run it, you'll see what the cmd window says before it closes. That might help?

If not give me as much detail as you can about the issue, perhaps via PM, and I'll do what I can to help out.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 19:09   #45
your evil twin
Hobbyist

I've been having the exact same problem.

Reading the early parts of the thread, apparently there was originally a TexMod version of the mod. I have no problems using TexMod. While that might be infeasible for later versions of the mod as it grows to a much larger number of textures, is that TexMod version still available, just for Lara's textures and those few HUD elements?
your evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 11:59   #46
JimbobJeffers
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by your evil twin View Post
I've been having the exact same problem.

Reading the early parts of the thread, apparently there was originally a TexMod version of the mod. I have no problems using TexMod. While that might be infeasible for later versions of the mod as it grows to a much larger number of textures, is that TexMod version still available, just for Lara's textures and those few HUD elements?
I can upload the old Texmod version (although the textures have since been slightly improved), but I would much rather help you two solve this issue!

Can either of you send me screenshots of your installation folder, gibbed, perhaps you following the process, as much as you can? If you have the time a video would be even better. That way if I can help you two get it working now, then when I finish Croft Manor I can ensure that everybody who wants it can use it!
Old 19-03-18, 17:28   #47
your evil twin
Hobbyist

And now weirdly it worked!

As you previously suggested, I added the pause command to the bat file, on a new line, to stop it from immediately closing when it went wrong... and instead it actually worked, and did the entire extraction process!

And now I just removed the pause command from the bat file, and tried running it again... and it still worked. *shrug*

I guess one other thing is that I had copied Steam.dll from the main Steam folder into the Tomb Raider Anniversary folder, to solve a different issue with the game "not being able to find Steam" when running SCU and TexMod.

But to test things I then tried getting rid of steam.dll and re-running the bat file and it still worked.

When I wanted to edit pack_game.bat I did get a warning from windows about running the file, I clicked 'more info' and then 'run anyway'. I was then able to edit it, and Windows remembered that and did not ask again the next time. Trying to remember if the same thing happened when I edited unpack_game.bat.

Anyway, it's all very mysterious. Like skracer I'm on Windows 10 and I have the Steam version. Didn't work first time, tried it again another day and it worked. I hope the same thing happens for skracer! Or that the two of you can figure out what went wrong the first time and what changed!
Old 19-03-18, 23:24   #48
JimbobJeffers
Student

Glad you got it to work!

I should have mentioned, did you run it with administrative privileges? If your game is installed into Program Files then the .bat file will instantly close without admin rights, as it doesn't have write access there.
Old 20-03-18, 13:48   #49
JimbobJeffers
Student

Thank you for the thorough description there! I will absolutely look into this. I'm hesitant to simply reduce the resolution because the intention was for this mod to facilitate high-resolution screenshots, closeups, etc (think DeadEndThrills).

However I wonder if looking into the mipmaps could bring results - I generated them automatically, but if I instead manually craft them then I could make the textures look nice from standard zoom views.
Old 23-03-18, 00:14   #50
your evil twin
Hobbyist

Oops, my posts got deleted because I linked to images on a website. Apparently I should have downloaded the images and then reuploaded to imgur or something.

Anyway, turns out that originally I linked to the wrong version of the YouTube video. Here's the zoomed in version where you can clearly see the Moire effect visual anomalies if you watch in 1080p or 1440p: https://youtu.be/innm_j1LR18

I think the Moire effect is why Crystal Dynamics changed the texture of Lara's top between the promotional images and renders and the final game texture.

Having close-together vertical lines - especially on Lara's lower back and belly, where her torso is narrow - causes the Moire effect. To solve this Crystal Dynamics had the lines fade in and out in places, interrupting the pattern, creating the impression of a top with vertical ribs but without having any of those lines completely running from the top of the outfit to the bottom, instead there are patches that have lines and patches that are smooth.

Tomb Raider Legend did have tops with vertical lines running all the way from top to bottom - Lara's winter sweaters - but the lines/ribs were further apart. They worked fine without causing any Moire effect.

Somehow in Rise of the Tomb Raider they were able to have Lara's 'Siberian Ranger' outfit have close-together vertical lines, though the bottom of her sweater is slightly skewed so a number of the lines are diagonal, also the pattern is interrupted by all the equipment and pouches she's wearing. http://laracroftcosplay.com/menu/gamecostumes.html

So yeah, mipmaps might do the trick, alternatively maybe look at widening the gap between the vertical lines, to be more like the winter Legend outfits.