www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-11-22, 15:33   #41
Delamo1999
Explorer

Smile We want the Classics Remade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post

Please remake the Classics! I have been here for over 15 years, and this is the common theme for most people, especially old-timer die-hard fans like me and you. I love TRIII, and the updated graphics will make the game look awesome! Please remake the Classics. Thank you!
Delamo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-22, 17:45   #42
HarleyCroft
Professor

So yesterday I tried playing the PS4 remaster of Bloodrayne..
I forgot how tricky the controls are and how clunky they make the sleek-looking main character. Didn't even make it past the bayou

I really don't think there would be any way to conserve the tank control scheme from the classic TRs that would be appealing for today's public. Would the platforming transfer smoothly if there was a toggle function for classic/LAnotU controls?

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 21-11-22 at 18:17.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 07:43   #43
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
So yesterday I tried playing the PS4 remaster of Bloodrayne..
I forgot how tricky the controls are and how clunky they make the sleek-looking main character. Didn't even make it past the bayou

I really don't think there would be any way to conserve the tank control scheme from the classic TRs that would be appealing for today's public. Would the platforming transfer smoothly if there was a toggle function for classic/LAnotU controls?
I highly doubt it would.

The old engine was designed with the grid to streamline platforming and allow the player to anticipate the distance of the jump - standing jump = 2 blocks/squares, running jump = 3 blocks squares.

Keeping the same block structure with fluid controls will backfire big-time IMO.

For this reason I would prefer they remake the classics from the ground up, which would also be beneficial as it would allow them to flash out the stories.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 18:05   #44
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I highly doubt it would.

The old engine was designed with the grid to streamline platforming and allow the player to anticipate the distance of the jump - standing jump = 2 blocks/squares, running jump = 3 blocks squares.

Keeping the same block structure with fluid controls will backfire big-time IMO.

For this reason I would prefer they remake the classics from the ground up, which would also be beneficial as it would allow them to flash out the stories.
I have never seen a developer tool deliver such clean geometry from a Tomb Raider level editor. It would not backfire. In fact, I think that the newer generation could learn from this. In all honesty if they build a classic Tomb Raider videogame, I want them to build their level with the Tomb Raider level editor first, then parse what they've built in an Unreal 5 compatible format by building what they've done in 3D software.

Building levels now is done with 3D software like Autodesk Maya or 3dsMax, or Blender.

Most builders nowadays, don't have the skill to design a puzzleroom, in the Tomb Raider level editor you're sort of designing puzzlerooms by design. The skill is developed there, not elsewhere.
Old 23-11-22, 20:42   #45
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
I have never seen a developer tool deliver such clean geometry from a Tomb Raider level editor. It would not backfire. In fact, I think that the newer generation could learn from this. In all honesty if they build a classic Tomb Raider videogame, I want them to build their level with the Tomb Raider level editor first, then parse what they've built in an Unreal 5 compatible format by building what they've done in 3D software.

Building levels now is done with 3D software like Autodesk Maya or 3dsMax, or Blender.

Most builders nowadays, don't have the skill to design a puzzleroom, in the Tomb Raider level editor you're sort of designing puzzlerooms by design. The skill is developed there, not elsewhere.
Hmm, I believe this is now mostly done directly in-engine with Unreal Engine 5. Perhaps certain set pieces are built on the 3D modeling software, but most of it, especially because of Quixel is done directly in engine.

Also, your suggested method would lenghten the development time and objectively, it sounds a bit counterproductive to build a world twice in two completely different engine that do not use the same rendering and same scaling (presumably).

I absolutely think Tomb Raider Level Editor should come back for the next Tomb Raider game. People would go nuts over being able to create and craft their own levels and puzzles, and possibly cinematics with the tools offered by UE5.

Last edited by amiro1989; 23-11-22 at 20:46.
amiro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 09:46   #46
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
Hmm, I believe this is now mostly done directly in-engine with Unreal Engine 5. Perhaps certain set pieces are built on the 3D modeling software, but most of it, especially because of Quixel is done directly in engine.

Also, your suggested method would lenghten the development time and objectively, it sounds a bit counterproductive to build a world twice in two completely different engine that do not use the same rendering and same scaling (presumably).

I absolutely think Tomb Raider Level Editor should come back for the next Tomb Raider game. People would go nuts over being able to create and craft their own levels and puzzles, and possibly cinematics with the tools offered by UE5.
Build a concept in the Tomb Raider level editor. (This concepting stage would happen anyway, and does not necessarily, depending on the artist, lengthen the production time).
So, to get this right. Yes.

In other words. One does not simply build Tomb Raider.
But doing so without having utilised a Tomb Raider level editor, is denying yourself from developing the skill to build a real Tomb Raider level.

Especially when requested to build a classic Tomb Raider level compatible in a modern day playable format.

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 24-11-22 at 09:47.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 18:45   #47
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
Build a concept in the Tomb Raider level editor. (This concepting stage would happen anyway, and does not necessarily, depending on the artist, lengthen the production time).
So, to get this right. Yes.

In other words. One does not simply build Tomb Raider.
But doing so without having utilised a Tomb Raider level editor, is denying yourself from developing the skill to build a real Tomb Raider level.

Especially when requested to build a classic Tomb Raider level compatible in a modern day playable format.
I don't think they will do that, but I think it's a good idea. Something about the block system fosters visual coherence. The worlds in modern games feel like mush blended together and it's not inviting or satisfying to look at or climb on. TR1 had the most amazing structures that you would plan out a path to climb in your mind in a very grounded and realistic way. Now it's all so blobby and the world interactive, that you're looking at a painting, and then you're looking for objects to interact with with your tools. There's a huge disconnect in the exploration feeling. It might as well be a point and click.

Although shanty town had alot of great destructible paths and climbable 2, 3, and 4 story open structures that connected interestingly. I liked all the goodies and collectible gun parts, treasure chests, orange cooler boxes, and secrets, and it wasn't too heavy on boring documents, but actually had brief but well written ones. And then in Rise, when you get to the warriors and the blue flame area, those structures were pretty great too. And in reboot the area you climb up where the plane was and the demo came from was pretty good, but I think it fell victim to the same slidey object interactivity search a little, and it wasn't as deep in caverns and extensions in multiple directions as I would hope. I would have like the left side to have expanded more because I felt kind of stuck and limited to their one path.
Old 24-11-22, 19:01   #48
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
I don't think they will do that, but I think it's a good idea. Something about the block system fosters visual coherence. The worlds in modern games feel like mush blended together and it's not inviting or satisfying to look at or climb on. TR1 had the most amazing structures that you would plan out a path to climb in your mind in a very grounded and realistic way. Now it's all so blobby and the world interactive, that you're looking at a painting, and then you're looking for objects to interact with with your tools. There's a huge disconnect in the exploration feeling. It might as well be a point and click.

Although shanty town had alot of great destructible paths and climbable 2, 3, and 4 story open structures that connected interestingly. I liked all the goodies and collectible gun parts, treasure chests, orange cooler boxes, and secrets, and it wasn't too heavy on boring documents, but actually had brief but well written ones. And then in Rise, when you get to the warriors and the blue flame area, those structures were pretty great too. And in reboot the area you climb up where the plane was and the demo came from was pretty good, but I think it fell victim to the same slidey object interactivity search a little, and it wasn't as deep in caverns and extensions in multiple directions as I would hope. I would have like the left side to have expanded more because I felt kind of stuck and limited to their one path.
Look, after seeing this I would become the ultimate aha hole if they don't work with the Tomb Raider level editor when trying to work out a new Tomb Raider videogame inspired by the classic Tomb Raider videogames.

This I could spend money on to be able to play, and still be on the create a Classic Tomb Raider inspired videogame topic.

Imagine the others done in this way. Making the old, new.

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 24-11-22 at 19:09.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-22, 17:27   #49
Error96
Archaeologist

I do think it makes sense to build a early demo (not full rendering) in a level editor. The thing is to try to make it play like the originals a bit more rather than an import of the classics to a reboot TR format. I am not sure building anniversary as a TR Legend does classic TR quite worked.
Old 27-11-22, 01:55   #50
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

It’s been 26 years and if the best they can come up with for remakes or remasters is “explored” then i have no hope tbh