Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 17-04-21, 10:53   #1
Teeth

Question How to replace the game's audio?

Hi guys,

I'd love to patch The Dark Angel Symphony into Last Revelation and Chronicles, but when I convert audio files to the right format, bitrate etc they simply won't play in-game - not even when I use TRLE tools to do the conversion.

Tomb Raider Rosetta Stone says the audio files are "compressed" for these games, but not for TRLE. So does anyone know how to do the compression?

This is strictly for my own personal use, of course
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 11:35   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
Hi guys,

I'd love to patch The Dark Angel Symphony into Last Revelation and Chronicles, but when I convert audio files to the right format, bitrate etc they simply won't play in-game - not even when I use TRLE tools to do the conversion.

Tomb Raider Rosetta Stone says the audio files are "compressed" for these games, but not for TRLE. So does anyone know how to do the compression?

This is strictly for my own personal use, of course

Have you tried this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
So TRLE audio is in Microsoft ADPCM 44.100 kHz, 4 Bit, Stereo format. The container is .WAV. I assume it’s the same for TR4 but I could be wrong.

Don’t worry about the file size being large, WAVs always are because of their uncompressed nature. Shouldn’t be an issue for the engine.
I just tried to replace the main menu song and was successful with the following:
  • * Program: https://www.audacityteam.org/
  • * Procedure:
    • Load the file into audacity, and use "File -> Export as WAV".
    • For "Save type as" choose "Other uncompressed files"
    • Now select "Header: WAV (Microsoft)" and "Encoding: Microsoft ADPCM"

This way, I was able to successfully replace the title track of the game, so I assume it should work for most others as well.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 16:38   #3
Teeth

Edit: Brilliant, that worked. Thank you

It's worth noting though that the version of Audacity available on the website doesn't have the Header or Encoding options ANoDE mentioned.

However, I just happened to have this modified version of Audacity on my computer, which does have those options.

Last edited by Teeth; 17-04-21 at 19:56.
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-21, 20:44   #4
kelvinsecolo
Inactive

Default How can I import sounds from TRLE to TR Last Revelation?

Hey guys, good afternoon

I'm having a similar problem.
I'm trying to replace Last Revelation ingame sounds, for example gunshots, Lara's grunts and etc for the AoD ones. I've already loaded the modded .wav sounds into TRLE and they worked perfectly fine!

Here's the result:https://youtu.be/oAcL9vKndmI

My problem is: apparently, Level Editor and Last Revelation use a different sound system as Teeth said, and they just won't work properly.

Does anybody know how could I import these modded sounds to TR4? I'm really running out of ideas
kelvinsecolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 07:22   #5
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
Edit: Brilliant, that worked. Thank you

It's worth noting though that the version of Audacity available on the website doesn't have the Header or Encoding options ANoDE mentioned.

However, I just happened to have this modified version of Audacity on my computer, which does have those options.
I apparently was using an older version of audacity.
In the latest official release, the steps are:
  • File -> Export -> Export as WAV
  • Save as Type: WAV (Microsoft)
  • Encoding: Microsoft ADPCM

This also worked.

@kelvinsecolo: You'll probably have to re-convert them for TR4, since it uses different settings than TRLE. Maybe following the above steps will also work for you.
Old 18-04-21, 17:56   #6
kelvinsecolo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I apparently was using an older version of audacity.
In the latest official release, the steps are:
  • File -> Export -> Export as WAV
  • Save as Type: WAV (Microsoft)
  • Encoding: Microsoft ADPCM

This also worked.

@kelvinsecolo: You'll probably have to re-convert them for TR4, since it uses different settings than TRLE. Maybe following the above steps will also work for you.
Hey man, thanks for that.

But.. when I rebuild the level using tom2pc.exe, it exports all the sounds containing inside the Samples folder (508 items), and not only the modded ones. Does that mean I'd have to convert them to the format you've mentioned, one by one?
Old 18-04-21, 20:16   #7
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinsecolo View Post
Hey man, thanks for that.

But.. when I rebuild the level using tom2pc.exe, it exports all the sounds containing inside the Samples folder (508 items), and not only the modded ones. Does that mean I'd have to convert them to the format you've mentioned, one by one?
I guess there is a better option - but you could always use Audacity's batch processing mode.
  • Open Audacity
  • File -> Import
  • (select all audio files you want to convert)
  • File -> Export -> Export Multiple
  • Format: WAV (Microsoft), Encoding: Microsoft ADPCM
  • Select Target Folder and click OK

This should batch-convert all your audio files.
Old 18-04-21, 21:13   #8
kelvinsecolo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I guess there is a better option - but you could always use Audacity's batch processing mode.
  • Open Audacity
  • File -> Import
  • (select all audio files you want to convert)
  • File -> Export -> Export Multiple
  • Format: WAV (Microsoft), Encoding: Microsoft ADPCM
  • Select Target Folder and click OK

This should batch-convert all your audio files.
Done! Thanks.
Now, just one more question. How can I inject them into TR4? Is there a tool that could help me with that? I believe that SFX Manager would be a good one, but it just doesn't work on my computer.

After converting the .WAV files as you instructed, I have a compiled karnak.tr4 level inside TRLE's directory. In order to export the model, animations, and etc. to Last Revelation, I normally use TRViwer to export the items I've modded on TRLE to .trmvb files, import them to a virgin TRLR's level, and at last, I use fexmerger to convert the mods between the engines. If you check this PDF created by DarkLegend, I think it's clearer to understand these steps.

What I'm trying to say is... the sounds are still stored in the original TRLE's karnak.tr4. I can't just paste it inside TRLR's level because it bugs the whole level. I need to go through the steps I've mentioned for it to work properly. So basically now, my challenge is to inject this new WAV files into Last Revelation.
Old 18-04-21, 21:33   #9
ANoDE
Golden

Unfortunately, I can't help you with this as I've never done this before. Hopefully someone more experienced will be around for this.

Also, maybe the modding section of this forum is a good place to start looking for answers.
Old 10-05-21, 00:59   #10
mizuno_suisei

Hi! Its impossible to inject SFX into compiled TR4 levels. I'd give that dream up fexmerger implies it can do this. But it certainly does not, atleast not well.

Back to your changing OST issue. I have been here!
I tried audacity, goldwave, countless others but...the tool we already have DOES work but with condition of where it is located! To differentiate between converting ADPCM WAV And SFX wav.

Use mad_play and start_me from trle to convert to OST COMPATIBLE WAV FORMAT for the original tr4. the exe files must be;
Inside a folder named AUDIO.
mp3 files must be named 000.mp3 etc (3 digit numbers)
(If the exes are elsehwere they will convert to SFX format. You do not want this)

This is a common weird issue for TR4 but not, the TRLE. I once tried to replace jeep Thrills with a legend track and spent alot of time with your exact issue. No playback eventhough a perfect codec. Remember to also rename the final converted wav file back to TR4 strings (eg. 000.wav = 000_whatevername.wav)

It finally worked after I placed the two exes in my exact program files/core design/tr4/audio folder, with the mp3 I wanted to convert.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 10-05-21 at 01:54.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote