Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 21-02-24, 07:42   #1
RGSPro

Default Tomb Raider 3 Demo Versions

So I just got to the Egypt levels of TR1 the TR123 Remaster and I have been hit by the entire wave of nostalgia and I have been loving revisiting these old titles.

From my 10 year old memory, I remember plying a "South Pacific" demo on the PC, but after loading up the level "Coastal Village" it doesn't quite fit my memory too well. Maybe I was just jumping and swimming around in the beginning of the level, or those Voodoo 2 graphics just can't be replicated the same way, but I feel like I have the wrong demo.

I downloaded the old PC version of the demo but couldn't get it to run (https://archive.org/details/tr3southpacific and https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com.../tr3_demo.html). Even with dgVoodoo it would crash at the main menu.

Does anyone have any recollection of the coastal village level is the same demo level that was in this south pacific demo back in the day? Was the demo any different from the full version of the game? Were there any other TR3 demos other than the south pacific and India levels?

Thanks for the help!
RGSPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-24, 15:29   #2
[Xmas]

Maybe someone more knowledgable about different builds of Tomb Raider 3 can provide more info, but as far as I remember--yes, the Coastal Village demo is the same as the level included in the final game, except it ends sooner than in the full game similarly to how the demo version of the 'Jungle' level won't let you progress past a certain point.

Don't forget there are two different paths you can take at the beginning of the level. You can either find the Smuggler's Key in the ocean and use it in the hut, or there is a second route that is often thought of as a shortcut. It could be that you took a different path

EDIT: There is also a Nevada demo, but that one is more obscure.

Last edited by [Xmas]; 21-02-24 at 15:31.
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-24, 22:54   #3
RGSPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Xmas] View Post
Maybe someone more knowledgable about different builds of Tomb Raider 3 can provide more info, but as far as I remember--yes, the Coastal Village demo is the same as the level included in the final game, except it ends sooner than in the full game similarly to how the demo version of the 'Jungle' level won't let you progress past a certain point.

Don't forget there are two different paths you can take at the beginning of the level. You can either find the Smuggler's Key in the ocean and use it in the hut, or there is a second route that is often thought of as a shortcut. It could be that you took a different path

EDIT: There is also a Nevada demo, but that one is more obscure.
Is the Nevada demo the PS1 only version of Area 51? Downloaded a compilation of PS1 demo discs to try out later today to see what they include.
Old 22-02-24, 07:59   #4
CheshireBitch

I don't recall a different version of the south pacific demo but maybe your memories are mixed up with the E3 video that showcase very different areas looking like south pacific ? These are not in the released version

Dustie recreated the trailer (it's less blury that way) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRWYI66PtSk
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 08:52   #5
Sat42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I don't recall a different version of the south pacific demo but maybe your memories are mixed up with the E3 video that showcase very different areas looking like south pacific ? These are not in the released version

Dustie recreated the trailer (it's less blury that way) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRWYI66PtSk
I had to jump in and say that the music used in this trailer is from Daikatana (composer: Will Loconto)!
That's actually interesting if this isn't just Dustie's edit and the original E3 1998 trailer for Tomb Raider III used this track as again it's from Ion Storm's Daikatana and the awesome tune was also used for one of the latter's trailers (in addition to featuring in the game, specifically the last mission of Episode 1; most of its music was made in 1997, subsequent delays meant the title only released in 2000). Funny... the prerender FMV of Lara Croft turning to the camera and then swinging to punch "us" is, cinematographically, the same as what can be found in a Daikatana trailer with a monster turning to the camera and punching the viewer. I think Eidos marketing team were really cannibalising all they could, cutting corners in order to deliver E3 promo videos on time - which just shows how wild times were back then!
Sat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 13:27   #6
CheshireBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat42 View Post
I had to jump in and say that the music used in this trailer is from Daikatana (composer: Will Loconto)!
That's actually interesting if this isn't just Dustie's edit and the original E3 1998 trailer for Tomb Raider III used this track as again it's from Ion Storm's Daikatana and the awesome tune was also used for one of the latter's trailers (in addition to featuring in the game, specifically the last mission of Episode 1; most of its music was made in 1997, subsequent delays meant the title only released in 2000). Funny... the prerender FMV of Lara Croft turning to the camera and then swinging to punch "us" is, cinematographically, the same as what can be found in a Daikatana trailer with a monster turning to the camera and punching the viewer. I think Eidos marketing team were really cannibalising all they could, cutting corners in order to deliver E3 promo videos on time - which just shows how wild times were back then!
I never knew this, it’s very interesting thanks !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 15:21   #7
Sat42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I never knew this, it’s very interesting thanks !
You're very welcome!
Sat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 16:28   #8
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSPro View Post
Does anyone have any recollection of the coastal village level is the same demo level that was in this south pacific demo back in the day? Was the demo any different from the full version of the game?
The Coastal Village demo is identical to in the full game. The only difference is that statistics counter is still wrong and says 6 secrets, instead of 3, but there are still the same 4.

This is the Windows Vista demo is from 2006. It's not like the Jungle Ruins demo which is a beta where you can only play the beginning of the level (which is dumb because the whole level is there and is more or less the same as the final release).

Jungle Ruins:

Jungle:

TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-24, 02:04   #9
RGSPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
The Coastal Village demo is identical to in the full game. The only difference is that statistics counter is still wrong and says 6 secrets, instead of 3, but there are still the same 4.

This is the Windows Vista demo is from 2006. It's not like the Jungle Ruins demo which is a beta where you can only play the beginning of the level (which is dumb because the whole level is there and is more or less the same as the final release).
These are awesome overviews of the levels! How were you able to capture these? The Jungle Ruins is the "India" demo, correct?
Old 23-02-24, 19:40   #10
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSPro View Post
These are awesome overviews of the levels! How were you able to capture these? The Jungle Ruins is the "India" demo, correct?
TRView. You can open up any level and fly around.

Yes it is the India demo, it was called Jungle Ruins before Jungle. The only differences seem to be missing walls and some areas feeling more open; maybe the walls were put in place for draw distance limits on PlayStation. The triggers (purple squares) are mostly in the same place, which means the enemy placements and puzzles must be nearly all the same.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote