Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 30-06-20, 15:44   #1
Sonia Mara

Default TR Roomedit crashes at start

Hello! Despite the changes and improvements in the TR Level Editors, I am still fascinated by the official and original TRLE. And to be able to play with it, I installed XP 2002, SP3 on my machine and so it is reserved only for TR.
But after installing the official TRLE full, when I click on Roomedit, it does not open. The Roomedit crash at start. I downloaded several versions of exclusive and reputable sites dedicated to TR, but nothing makes the editor open and work.
I am wondering the name of the file "roomedit" in the installed TRLE directory. I saw old versions where the file is named "winroomedit.exe". Could this be the cause of the problem or not?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thank you!

Last edited by Sonia Mara; 30-06-20 at 17:40.
Sonia Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 17:40   #2
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia Mara View Post
Hello! Despite the changes and improvements in the TR Level Editors, I am still fascinated by the official and original TRLE. And to be able to play with it, I installed XP 2002, SP3 on my machine and so it is reserved only for TR.
But after installing the official TRLE full, when I click on Roomedit, it does not open. The Roomedit crash at start. I downloaded several versions of exclusive and reputable sites dedicated to TR, but nothing makes the editor open and work.
I am wondering the name of the file "roomedit" in the installed TRLE directory. I saw old versions where the file is named "winroomedit.exe". Could this be the cause of the problem or not?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thank you!
use tombeditor instead, trle is deprecated and crash for nothing
TokyoSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 12:28   #3
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSU View Post
use tombeditor instead, trle is deprecated and crash for nothing
Did you not even read the very sentence of the post ?

The room edit program should be called winroomedit.exe and should work on Windows XP.

Have you tried this TRLE download ? https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com...pl?le_trle_iso It’s the original TRLE, not the one most people download which says it’s for Windows XP and Vista. I remember the room editor this version working fine on Windows XP but the game itself has really long level loading times (that can be fixed manually by replacing tomb4.exe)
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 13:01   #4
Kubsy

Hi there,

We would usually recommend Tomb Editor - it is stable and does not crash. You can use Winroomedit if you want but I can't help you with the problems you occur because I'm only using Tomb Editor.
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 14:22   #5
Sonia Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubsy View Post
Hi there,

We would usually recommend Tomb Editor - it is stable and does not crash. You can use Winroomedit if you want but I can't help you with the problems you occur because I'm only using Tomb Editor.
Hi there,

Kubsy I understand it. Ok, thank you.

Last edited by Sonia Mara; 01-07-20 at 14:47.
Old 01-07-20, 14:33   #6
Sonia Mara

Quote:
Did you not even read the very sentence of the post

The room edit program should be called winroomedit.exe and should work on Windows XP.

Have you tried this TRLE download ? https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com...pl?le_trle_iso It’s the original TRLE, not the one most people download which says it’s for Windows XP and Vista. I remember the room editor this version working fine on Windows XP but the game itself has really long level loading times (that can be fixed manually by replacing tomb4.exe)

One of the editors that I downloaded, installed and tested without success was this one: https: //www.tombraiderchronicles.com. Only it didn't work too! I tried several publishers of trusted TR sites. None starts. XP is an excellent environment for the original TRLE, so I even reserved one of my machines exclusively for it. I can't understand why the editor won't open! I believe that the problem is not in the Editor but in XP itself. I'll try another directx, service pack, update the machine's drivers, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to format the machine and install another version of XP.
Thank you, TombHackR

Last edited by Sonia Mara; 01-07-20 at 14:55.
Old 01-07-20, 14:42   #7
Titak

Original TRLE is used, so moved to general TRLE section.

You may need to download and install
Visual Basic 5 Runtime and
Visual Basic 6 Runtime
(The Visual Basic 6 Runtime download from TRSearch Engine is not working, so I linked to a recent post here.)
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 14:49   #8
Sonia Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Original TRLE is used, so moved to general TRLE section.

You may need to download and install
Visual Basic 5 Runtime and
Visual Basic 6 Runtime
(The Visual Basic 6 Runtime download from TRSearch Engine is not working, so I linked to a recent post here.)

Hi, Titak! Ok, I will try it. Thank you!
Old 01-07-20, 15:36   #9
nerdfury

I just wanted to cover all possibilities -- did you make sure that in your winroomedit.exe's properties, under the compatibility tab, that you enabled reduced color mode and set it to 16 bit? The editor crashed for me otherwise, when I used the original TRLE.

(My screenshot says ngle properties but yours would say winroomedit properties. I figure your Windows XP properties window would look different compared to my Windows 10 properties window, but I wonder if there is still a reduced color setting for you?)

nerdfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 16:14   #10
SrDanielPonces

Wow I don't use winroomedit since 2012 (when I started trle), after all those years I still dont know how we've all been doing amazing things with that old, ****ty editoe that probably crashes more than wadmerger.

Tomb Editor was not only a blessing, but what made this communitt grow a bit bigger by keeping frustrated users feel in heaven (well, never entirely since we're still using trng lmao).

With that said, please consider using Tomb Editor. You have no idea how much time and nerves it will save you in the end.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote